Blocked PMs

I've just been reading the messages about blocked Personal Messages.

William, with his arrogant rudeness, is making an unhappy situation worse, and is managing to offend much more than he is helping.

New members didn't understand the rules. It was as simple as that. But they are not children. They do no need to be lectured and hectored.

I had my PMs blocked  for cutting and pasting more than five messages. I didn't know that it was an offence. I was appealing for expats in Sri Lanka. We need to find resident expats to teach in the school where I work, because the government gives visas for English teachers only for state schools, not for private schools.

It was not an offensive message. There were no complaints. If it had been unsolicited offers or advertising I would understand. But it was a perfectly innocent appeal for teachers to help teach young children. What is wrong with that?

Other members have apparently also broken the rules in ignorance. Their reactions and responses to being blocked were not offensive. They were evidently puzzled and hurt and shocked. But the tone of the comments from William, who is apparently speaking on behalf of Expat.com, is really shocking. I am very surprised that Julien the founder allows such comments and such rudeness. Or is he perhaps unaware of what is being said on his behalf?

Hello ChristopherHH,

Since you are directing your personal comments toward me, I feel it only fitting to comment on your posting.

I'm sorry if you find my response on the News and Announcements Forum regarding blocked PMs. For the most part if you look back on the topic from the very beginning the question has been asked and answered hundreds of times at least. Members have been given the same information over and over and over again. Even those who do not seem to understand the very simple and clearly worded error message when they can't send a PM don't bother looking on the forum to see the answer they're looking for they just add another question to the list. Over the years this does tend to become very frustrating.

I believe that the specific posting that you are referring to was the one in which I replied to the member username @bussiness, well it really was difficult not to take offense at his attitude and snap back. As someone who has contributed many hundreds of hours of volunteer time here over the years. Sometimes it is frustrating to see people come here who think themselves above the rules or simply think the rules which are for the good of all should just be scrapped because they want it that way. Well, we all get upset sometimes and yes, I'll admit I was upset.

Regarding NOT KNOWING the rules, sorry that one just won't fly with me! There are clear explanations about those rules in a number of different places. The topic posting on the Anti-spam system & new rules is just one of them. Every member who registers with Expat-blog in the registration process must indicate that they have read the Terms & Conditions of Use and agree to be bound by all Expat-blog rules, that's everybody. If they've said that they know the rules and agree to abide by them when, in fact, they haven't then do they deserve sympathy? Let's put it this way shall we...  If the late, great Ronald Biggs (God rest his soul) were to have been captured and put on trial in the UK following the notorious Great Train Robbery, and his defense was that he didn't know that robbing trains was against the law, since he hadn't read the Criminal Law Act; would that defense be successful or even allowed? Clearly it wouldn't.

At any rate, your posting on the News and Announcements Forum and posting here aren't much different in their tone, than mine... so does that make me any better or worse than you, or vice versa? I'm not going to judge. If you posting has made you feel somewhat better then good on you! I'm happy.

If you got you mailboxes locked for copy & paste spam in the private message system, please don't look for any sympathy from me. The information was there if you had chosen to look for it, you didn't and I'm sure that you had some general idea that it is something that is not usually acceptable anywhere. Most people do understand that even though they choose to ignore it.

Spam is spam is spam, it's something that invades our online lives on a daily basis no matter how hard we try to rid ourselves of it. So the few complaints or rants that we get here compared to the number of thanks from members for helping protect them from it don't cause me to lose any sleep at night. However, I do thank you for your concerns and comments.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, member just like you, stating my OWN PERSONAL opinion.

Dear William

Thank you for taking the time to reply so fully.

The point that you have missed is that the question may have been asked and answered hundreds of times, but new members will not be aware of it. How could they be, as new members?

How many times have you pressed the 'Agree' button to rules and conditions which you have not read? Dozens of times? Hundreds of times?

From the forum it is absolutely clear that members are having their PMs blocked for inadvertently and unintentionally offending against the rule, of which they were unaware. If this is happening so often, wouldn't you realise that somehow the system is failing them?

It is not good enough to point out that they pressed the 'Agree' button to rules on joining. Everybody presses the 'Agree' button.

If there is one rule which experience has taught you is causing widespread surprise, dismay irritation andfrustration, surely it would be a good idea to highlight that rule in such a way that nobody could miss it.

You say that you "snapped" in responding to a member who was rude. The member was evidently stressed. Do you think that you helped that member? Do you think that your language was professional? Do you think that your language was courteous and polite? Don't you think that you demean yourself and lower your standards by allowing yourself to be brought down to that member's level of irritation and frustration?

Don't you agree that all members have an absolute right to expect courtesy and politeness in their dealings on Expat.com, with whomever?

Kind regards

Christopher

There is simply no excuse for not informing oneself about rules, it's either pure laziness or simply an underlying attitude that they are above the rules. Would you sign a contract without reading the contract first and all the fine print? I certainly wouldn't, so what's the difference?

Just being a new member does not excuse ignoring rules, nor does it justify doing something that most people who've spent more than a few minutes at the keyboard of a computer have come to instinctively understand is basically wrong.

So I guess we leave it at that, we'll agree to disagree. Personally (and you should be very glad for this) I think members here should consider themselves fortunate that Julien is the owner of the forum, because if I were I wouldn't be so generous with spammers, accidental or otherwise, I would ban them instantly and block their IP address. Blocking one's mailbox is that gentle nudge that some people need I guess in order to give them the wake up call to find out just what the rules are and conform their actions to them.

Perhaps while your motives for the copy & paste barrage weren't malicious, do you have any idea just how many join specifically with the malicious intent to flood mailboxes with spam, unwanted golden opportunities, fraudulent job offers, counterfeit documents, proposals of marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa or with outright sexual advances? Just ask any of them if THEY think the Anti-spam rules are heavy-handed. Trust me I've seen hundreds of thankyous from members.

Cheers,
James

William isn't noted for being rude, but I commonly am.

I had my PMs blocked  for cutting and pasting more than five messages. I didn't know that it was an offence. I was appealing for expats in Sri Lanka. We need to find resident expats to teach in the school where I work, because the government gives visas for English teachers only for state schools, not for private schools.

Working without a visa is illegal in many countries.
Perhaps you're asking expats to work illegally - just a thought.

Dear James

Thank you again for taking the time and making the effort to reply so fully. I admire your dedication and commitment. Do you think that I could become Expat.com's Sri Lanka and UK expert?

As a result of our exchanges I have now made quite a number of contributions to Expat.com. Do you think they will be enough to unlock my PMs?

There was a reply to my message from a local expat who is living in my town of Negombo, who  is married to a Sri Lankan. I would like to make contact with them, but I haven't been able to respond because my PMs have been blocked.

Do you think that you could kindly have a word with the administrator responsible and  ask them to unblock my PMs? I would be very grateful and appreciative.

Kindest regards

Christopher

Dear Mas Fred

Thank you for your thought. We will bear it in mind.

With over 3000 contributions to Exoat Blog you are evidently an enthusiast. May I ask the background to your enthusiasm and commitment?

You are living in Jakarta. What do you do there? Have you been there long? What has been your experience? I would be interested to know

Kind regards

Christopher

The background to my dedication and hours of volunteerism here stems from having come to Brazil over 12 years ago now, when there was nothing like Expat-blog in existence, nobody to turn to for much needed information about the enormous challenges in adapting to life in this country with it's crushing bureaucracy, ever changing rules and regulations which for the most part make absolutely no sense whatsoever and to the fact that by our standards absolutely nothing works in this country.

I went through years of Hell here re-inventing the wheel every time I needed to do something. Despite the unimaginable frustration it really was a learning experience and I soon became (as much as a layman can be) an expert in issues surrounding immigration processes and rules here in Brazil, the Brazilian history, culture and even cuisine. (I cook)

When I finally found Expat-blog I decided to dedicate myself to doing everything within my power to help other members from having to go through the same nightmare as I did and I have been providing information, tips and advice here ever since; both on the Brazil and Canada Forum. It has been very gratifying. I am active on both the English and Portuguese versions of the Brazil forum since I am completely fluent in my new second language, thanks to my (now lost) fluency in my second language French. Like the old saying goes... Use it or lose it!

I invite you to check out the Brazil Forum sometime, I'm sure you'll find it very interesting and a real eye-opener. One thing for certain, my experience in this country has given me a whole new perspective on North America and I would never again be caught complaining about bureaucracy or difficulties there, compared to Brazil they simply don't exist!

Cheers,
James

ChristopherHH wrote:

I've just been reading the messages about blocked Personal Messages.

William, with his arrogant rudeness, is making an unhappy situation worse, and is managing to offend much more than he is helping.

New members didn't understand the rules. It was as simple as that. But they are not children. They do no need to be lectured and hectored.

It was not an offensive message. There were no complaints. If it had been unsolicited offers or advertising I would understand. But it was a perfectly innocent appeal for teachers to help teach young children. What is wrong with that?

Other members have apparently also broken the rules in ignorance. Their reactions and responses to being blocked were not offensive. They were evidently puzzled and hurt and shocked. But the tone of the comments from William, who is apparently speaking on behalf of Expat.com, is really shocking. I am very surprised that Julien the founder allows such comments and such rudeness. Or is he perhaps unaware of what is being said on his behalf?

Hi Chris, :)

The problem is that computers are not as intelligent as to differentiate between your well intended PMs and requests for dates, sex, sales ads, etc., etc. yet.

Feel free to read my thread at https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=348529 which I hope will amuse you a bit.
If it does, please post your answer.  :par:

ChristopherHH wrote:

Dear James

Thank you again for taking the time and making the effort to reply so fully. I admire your dedication and commitment. Do you think that I could become Expat.com's Sri Lanka and UK expert? ...

Kindest regards

Christopher

And one more thing.
Yes, you could become SR and UK expert and there is no reason you may not.  It depends only on you.
What are you waiting for?  :o

John C. wrote:

And one more thing.
Yes, you could become SR and UK expert and there is no reason you may not.  It depends only on you.
What are you waiting for?  :o

What is your target John? Now not doing full time business instead fully work to EB? :D

Meet other expats and join the events

OR