Thinking of Warsaw move… anyone help?

Hi - I am considering a position in Warsaw and have 2 children and husband in tow.
I need to know everything! Where should we live? What's good about warsaw for children? Can I get a cleaner/babysitter easily? How much is property rental? Where should I send the children to school (Polish school not an option)?
I'd like to know all the positives and only the negatives that I should really consider.
Anyone who has been through something similar in the last year would be a great contact!

Thanks.
Jane

Dear Jane, Living in Warsaw has been relatively easy for us. We have been here almost one year. We do not have children, but I have many expat friends here that do. I'd also recommend checking out Internations.org as they have a much more active forum for Warsaw. It's a very green city with lots of parks, activities such as almost daily classical concerts and very easy to live in. Warsaw also has a fantastic restaurant scene and cafe culture, which we have really enjoyed!

Babysitters range in price from 15-25 pln per hour. Most of the gals I know seem to share a couple different ones.

I love living in the city center, but I know some expats live farther south in Mokotow and Wilanow, mainly bc of access to the international schools. Mokotow is nice, maybe more family-friendly if you want a house. Otherwise, you will have mainly apts in city center...which I refer to as neighborhoods of Centrum, Powisle, Muranow, Mirow and perhaps a bit of Wola. Zoliborz also has gained popularity lately, but is located to the north and may be out of reach for the schools you want.

Here's some other info I copied off the other forum that you may find helpful:
a) There is one private american school in Warsaw. Here is the link to it: http://www.ias.edu.pl/en/ but its far from city centre so you will have to get school bus services. There is also another international school: http://www.maturamiedzynarodowa.pl/lang.en/no/start, but its also far from city centre, The estimated distance between city centre and the schools is probably 25-30 min. by bus.

b) It depends where you live. If you want to live in city centre, the estimated cost for 3 bedroom apart with furniture may vary from 3500 PLN to 6000 PLN or even more. (It totally depends on the province and luxury of the apartment.). It is better for you to work with a English speaking real estate agency for this issue. One recommended real estate agency: http://www.n-loco.com/en/.

4- Apartments are mostly furnished. You may easily find one.

5-  For a family including 4 members, the estimate coast for living may be between 10000 - 30000 (i can't give a proper amount that's because there are many things that should be counted. I am sure that a more professional person may inform you better about this issue)
Here is also a link to see living costs in Warsaw:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ity=Warsaw

JCD1109 wrote:

Hi - I am considering a position in Warsaw and have 2 children and husband in tow.
I need to know everything! Where should we live? What's good about warsaw for children? Can I get a cleaner/babysitter easily? How much is property rental? Where should I send the children to school (Polish school not an option)?
I'd like to know all the positives and only the negatives that I should really consider.
Anyone who has been through something similar in the last year would be a great contact!

Thanks.
Jane

Why Warsaw?  :/

The job is in Warsaw. I've been offered a job here - but don't know anything about it.

JCD1109 wrote:

The job is in Warsaw. I've been offered a job here - but don't know anything about it.

:D  You are lucky.
Start learning Polish quickly so that your employer won't regret having hired you ...  :cool:

warsaw is very foreigner-friendly, i know tons of americans living here who also had zero prior knowledge and they're loving it. i can give u answers to specific questions you may have, just PM me. me + my fiancee can also help with the moving process if any assistance is needed :)

good luck!

-jon (american)

Thanks Jon - not sure how to send you a PM on this site.
We are coming over at Easter to check out houses and schools.
We will be moving from malta - so we think this could be additionally tricky as it will also involve a boat at some stage. We have all our goods to ship up - if you have any advice on that one - it would be great.
Thanks again.

JCD1109 wrote:

Thanks.
Jane

This goes to show that women, not kids and not the hubby, do it all.  :D

JCD1109 wrote:

Thanks Jon - not sure how to send you a PM on this site.
We are coming over at Easter to check out houses and schools.
We will be moving from malta - so we think this could be additionally tricky as it will also involve a boat at some stage. We have all our goods to ship up - if you have any advice on that one - it would be great.
Thanks again.

Hi JCD, :)

You need help to move to Warsaw, now you need advice to ship your belongings ...
Just do it! ...  :par: