Any recommendations for Hotel Otorongo in Cuenca?

I will be coming to Cuenca to explore on March 1st, and have been reading good things about the Hotel Otorongo Apartments by the river, but also close in to town.  It is important to me to have relative quiet, and green space.  I'm almost ready to book there for two weeks.  Does anyone know about them firsthand?  Cleanliness, safety, etc.  I have read many things about Cuenca, and for the most part it seems truly beautiful and not too big, with a good ex-pat community to help me get my feet on the ground.

One question I have is about heat, or lack thereof?  Is it true there is no heat supply in most homes or apartments?  I've been watching the temps there and it seems pretty cold at night,and early mornings to have no heat at all.

Can anyone tell me about the Carolina Bookstore?  Sounds like a great place to get started finding expats and information.  Thanks! Love this Blog Spot!

The hotel Otorongo is, indeed, a clean, quite, and comfortable place. It is in a safe neighborhood, and convienent to el centro.

One question I have is about heat, or lack thereof?  Is it true there is no heat supply in most homes or apartments?  I've been watching the temps there and it seems pretty cold at night,and early mornings to have no heat at all.

Yes, the houses in Cuenca do not need central heat or air conditioning. You will need a sweater or light jacket at night.

Otorongo Apartments are clean & safe but quite spartan.  Portable heating units can be purchased but it's true, no heat or AC here.  Bring a sweater!

I have been living in Cumbaya since last August and I have had the windows of my apartment open 24/7 since then.  There is no heat or A/C in my apartment and I live at a higher altitude than Cuenca.  Temps here are between 7C - 20C, all the time.  Cuenca is warmer as it is lower.  I guess it depends from where you are moving from, I am Canadian and any day above 5C is a shorts day for me.  Once you get into the sun you will not need the extra cloths, and the sun will heat up your building so it does not get that cold at night.  People have fans and portable heaters, but they are from here and do not know what cold realy is.

Can anyone tell me approx  monthly rental for nice, 2 bdr. Apt. In cuenca.