Cost of living in Ukraine

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Ukraine. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Ukraine.

Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Ukraine?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Sent by CraigAlin in Feb 2008

Hi!  So I live in a town where there only 2 Westeners (Americans).  SO life is not expensive at all.  I live in Karlivka, Ukraine, 50 kilometers from Poltava, about 300 kilometers from Kyiv.

I have a 2 room apartment  costs 300 hryvnia a month (1US dollar = 5 UAH)
Monthly Electric bill about 40 hryvnia.
Internet about 20 USD a month (not very good internet)
Transportation on a bus is like 50 to 75 kopek.  In bigger cities it gets up to 2 hryvnia.  The Metro in Kyiv is 50 kopek to anywhere.  Long distant busses and trains range from 2 USD to 25 USD.
Food costs range depending on the gardening season.  Summer and Fall are great.  ONe kilo of tomatoes is 1 hryvnia.  But in Winter and SPring it gets up to 17 hryvnia.
A bottle of beer is like 3 hryvnia.  Or you can get a 2L bottle for 7 hryvnya.
Going to a decent restaurant in Poltava (there are none in Karlivka) will put you back maybe 10 USD each.  A decent pizza chain (Chilentano's) will set you back 6 USD.
Theater tix are like 4 USD.  There are no English language cinemas, though the Kino will cost you 2 USD.
Cell phone usage usually ends up being like 25 USD.
Oh what else?  I forget the list.  You also should know that the area of Ukraine where I live IS NOT PRETTY.  So you get what you pay for.  Kyiv is STUPID expensive, and still not very pretty.  For the same amount of money you could live in a much nicer area in Europe.  Poltava is nice though (for Ukraine).

Of course is cheap to live near Ppltava and any other city of Ukraien but not in Kiev :( and Yalta
in the capital  I rent
apartment for 600 USD -  2 rooms
Internet 100-  20 USD
Food every week  min - 100 USD   X 4 weeks ( 2 persons)
Bills for apartment- 250-350 ( GAs, water, with electricity ect )
Car +-50 USD per week 

In a  little cities as Poltava rent is not so high as in Kiev or Other big cities
rent there from 500 UAH ( 1 usd- 8.2 uah)

food and rest same as in everywhere

hi everyone,
I am considering buying a place in the Crimea in order to live there part of the year.  Does anyone know what the regulations are concerning moving household goods here?
Thanks

hi everybody,am relocating to ukraine.i plan registrying for a language skool first then see what the town has for me.prsently living in cairo where is is relativly expensive.

I am moving to Kharkov from the States at the first of June and I am looking for a Furnished Flat. I have found several, but of course the people are asking for way too much. I would like to stick to a budget of $250 USD for the Flat. If anyone can help or knows of someone who can I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Craig

Okay, here's a starting point.  Please feel free to edit these prices as you see fit.  This is in American dollars because...well...I'm an American; which means I'm too lazy to convert the prices into thirty different currencies :). I hope this helps.

Oh, I forgot.  The prices I quoted are for Kiev.  If you need info on another city, anywhere in the world, I can probably get those for you too.

Okay, it's almost 3 am here and I forgot to list the cost of living prices for Kiev.  An error I will probably get a lot of grieve for.  Here is what I should have posted.

Restaurants 
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant  5.00 $
Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant  28.33 $
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar  3.00 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught)  1.57 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)  3.33 $
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)  1.50 $
Water (0.33 liter bottle)  1.47 $

Markets 
Milk (regular), 1 liter  0.81 $
Loaf of Fresh Bread  0.46 $
Eggs (12)  1.40 $
Fresh Cheese (1kg)  6.57 $
Water (1.5 liter bottle)  0.75 $
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range)  4.17 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle)  0.45 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)  0.90 $
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro)  0.95 $

Transportation 
One-way Ticket (local transport)  0.20 $
Monthly Pass  17.50 $
Taxi (5km within center)  4.00 $
Gasoline (1 liter)  0.80 $

Utilities (Monthly)   
Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage)  40.00 $
Mobile Phone 100 Minutes Call  9.50 $
Internet (2 Mbps ADSL flat)  16.00 $

Sports And Leisure   
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult  65.00 $ 
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat  10.00 $

Rent Per Month   
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre  732.17 $
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre  390.57 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre  1,040.00 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre  601.12 $

Buy Apartment Price   
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment in City Centre  3,250.00 $
Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre  1,450.00 $

Salaries And Financing 
Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax)  510.00 $
Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentanges (%), Yearly For USD / EUR  18.00

Your post was great, i used it to make my adjustments to my projection of living costs spread sheet for Kiev. i really appreciate the information.

one question i must ask, assuming these are real numbers and i have no reason to believe they are not, since i visit Kiev 3-4 times a year. can you explain how do people survive on a median salary of $500 and expenses of about $2000 for one person? don't you think there are other ways people are generating income, I see many people with nice cars and money to spend, they cant all be politicians and government officials.

there has to be someway one can explain how the Income Vs Expenses equation balances in Kiev. one can not pay for expenses even working 3 jobs, so where is the flaw in the numbers?

I would love to hear your take on this.

thanks again, great post.

I wish I could answer your question.  The numbers posted are the result of quite a bit of research but do not reflect how, or why, people live as they do.  Perhaps other posters can answer you question.

thanks for your response, again your post was very informative.

Do you think the figures you posted for income can be wrong, in that i mean for Kiev is the salary for a professional more than $500 per month, such professionals with 10-20 years of experience in fields such as computer programmers, Engineers, attorneys, and executives of companies maybe making much higher salaries that the $500/mo.

For the sake of accuracy, if you don't mind sharing this information, may i ask how you have arrived at the income figure? 

thanks again, this is very valuable information you have posted i think.

Syrus

You might find this site helpful.  Senior software developers seem to do okay,  but for the most part the salaries are not what we expect here in the west.

http://operationworld.24-7prayer.com/co … try_id=155

You can also keyword "average Ukraine income" into your search engine and get a number of resources.  My best advice is to search many sites until you are satisfied.

How do they/we survive?

You need to own apartments otherwise it is quite expensive to live in Kiev -> move to other city. Or rent very cheap very far.

Have a " dacha" and in summer grow some staff.
Have relatives (parents) in village help with some supplies/ food etc.
Nobody eats outside.
Have some untaxable income.

and enjoy life ;).

Hello Everyone
I must disagree in some points :

1st of all not all people lives only for 500 $  per month .. some open a companies (as not bit E - commerce shops) and make around 5 000- 10 000 a month .. buying  cars and apartments...
and such I know many .. not hidden taxes and not not clear $

Salary of professional programmer in Kiev about 2000 a month
SEO masters may make easy 500 a week ... if he (she is really a master of it)

WHo stay in Dachas??
OLD people who LEASE the flats in Kiev from 400 $ per month.. (1 room)
Just 2 days ago my friend were searching an apartment they ask from 450 $  MINIMUM not the best apartments

Restaurants-bars - to drink 2 coctail  10 $ per 2 persons
Eat in  normal restaurant - 50 $ MINIMUM for 2 

Shops to buy almost nothing ( meat, potatoes, salami,cheese, milk, bread, water, ect) people spend not less that 50 $ at ones ( for 2-3 days)

I may agree for the salary of one student who comes to work at afternoon..  get the salary 500 $ of doing nothing really in the office

Many people who has not high salary share the apartments to rent.

- these prices were at 2003 - now is 2010 .. I never saw such prices since ages ...

Thank you for the excellent comments, rena.  I posted the original numbers in U.S. Dollars; are your numbers in the same currency?  Anyway, my post was intended to bring out some updated information, and you certainly did that.  Any additional info is always appreciated.

rena wrote:

Hello Everyone
I must disagree in some points :

1st of all not all people lives only for 500 $  per month .. some open a companies (as not bit E - commerce shops) and make around 5 000- 10 000 a month .. buying  cars and apartments...
and such I know many .. not hidden taxes and not not clear $

Salary of professional programmer in Kiev about 2000 a month
SEO masters may make easy 500 a week ... if he (she is really a master of it)

WHo stay in Dachas??
OLD people who LEASE the flats in Kiev from 400 $ per month.. (1 room)
Just 2 days ago my friend were searching an apartment they ask from 450 $  MINIMUM not the best apartments

Restaurants-bars - to drink 2 coctail  10 $ per 2 persons
Eat in  normal restaurant - 50 $ MINIMUM for 2 

Shops to buy almost nothing ( meat, potatoes, salami,cheese, milk, bread, water, ect) people spend not less that 50 $ at ones ( for 2-3 days)

I may agree for the salary of one student who comes to work at afternoon..  get the salary 500 $ of doing nothing really in the office

Many people who has not high salary share the apartments to rent.

- these prices were at 2003 - now is 2010 .. I never saw such prices since ages ...

Rena

It is not surprising you disagree. Read the topic "Cost of living in Ukraine". 95% of population do not live in Kiev. For most of them even $200 is skyrocketing salary.
Bileave me there is life outside of Kiev. And some families of school teacher do live on $100 per month. Honest people. Oh man. For them Dachas (Ogorod i ridna kartopelka) the only way to survive.

Coctails? LOL
Restaurant most of people even did not visit them in life.

Take care

This is a car buying question

What is the most popular and best type of car to buy in Ukraine? Most dependable, easy and cost effective to get fixed and so on.

Also what are costs associated with using a car and what type of registrations must be made?
For example: license plates, driving test,insurance etc.?

Is it cheaper to buy a new are outside Ukraine and drive it into Ukraine, or would  customs put so many fee's on it making purchasing one already in Ukraine cheaper. Last I noticed cars being sold at 20%+ markup to new cars in USA showrooms about 4 years ago when visiting a large city. Question is how far will they accept a lower offer price,and would it be easier to get a lower price if a Ukrainian friend did the haggling and purchasing or middleman work for me so as to avoid the natural desire to sell and overpriced good to an expat?

Next question is about wages in Ukraine:

I did some research on this already and found the 2010 wage average to be from $650-$1200 per month across all wage earners

However someone pointed out that Programmers average $2000/mo.
That said let me ask what average someone in other professions should expect to make in a month for example:

medical doctor:
dentist:
nurse:
engineer:
lawyer:
teacher:
social worker:
manager:
bank worker:
financier:
insurance agent:

Answers to these questions might give a better idea as to how to best answer the wage question

sisrspeedy wrote:

Next question is about wages in Ukraine:

I did some research on this already and found the 2010 wage average to be from $650-$1200 per month across all wage earners

Answers to these questions might give a better idea as to how to best answer the wage question

"$650-$1200 per month" this is nonsense.

Linky please?

Removed other info - This web-site is crappy. Moderators- idiots.

pov_kov is correct.  Every country has two economies.  The “official” income is that reported by workers to the government; the “real” economy is that which actually exist.  This is true regardless of what nation you happen to live in.  The hiding of income through cash only transactions, barter, and under-the-table payments is so common it even has a name…The Underground Economy.  This hidden economy is most prevalent among the poorest and the wealthiest of those living in a particular country; the poorest out of financial necessity, and the richest out of the desire to keep as much of their wealth as possible.  The average person who works in a factory or office is less capable of hiding revenues.  So, par-kov nailed it; the official numbers regarding income are probably not the true story of what actually exist.

Hello all.
I just wanted to say that I found all your posts very informative and interesting. I am intending to move to Kiev in September and I have been offered a monthly salary of 950 USD but my accomodation is paid for (thankfully).

I have never visited Ukraine but when I was in Russia I noticed that eating in restaurants was very expensive. As my mother is Spanish I consider 50USD to be very expensive for a meal at a restaurant, considering the low salaries.

Thanks again for all your posts and maybe see you in Kiev

Hi Friends............Is their any  english language center  for short term course available in kiev and any Asian or Indian resturant available , what is the scope of indian or pakistani restuarant in kiev for business purpose.
thanks.

Hi DrHafeez, you are a bit off-topic here! Could you please start a new discussion?
Thks

Hello everyone.  I am a retired police officer from Cleveland Oh. USA  I have met a lady online and after visiting her last spring we have dicided that I will come and live with her and her daughters for about six months to see how the wind blows. 

I will be living in Nikolaev and we will have to get a bigger flat than what she has now to accomodate all 4 of us.  What does rent for a 3 bedroom flat look like?  And I will be looking for a car also because I will have withdrawl symptoms going six months without one.  LOL  And yes I have seen how they drive there.  It reminds me of some of the car chases I have been in!!  LOL

ccstoddard wrote:

I am moving to Kharkov from the States at the first of June and I am looking for a Furnished Flat. I have found several, but of course the people are asking for way too much. I would like to stick to a budget of $250 USD for the Flat. If anyone can help or knows of someone who can I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Craig

INteresting.. how do you imagine to rent an apartment in Kharkiv for 250 $?? if the prices same as In Kiev from 400 $???

Looks like you will search for long :))

Look  here: centerdom.com.ua/index.php?page=17 in Russian Translate in Google)

Also look Here: kharkov.olx.com.ua/cat-363  May be you will find something

DrHafeez wrote:

Hi Friends............Is their any  english language center  for short term course available in kiev and any Asian or Indian resturant available , what is the scope of indian or pakistani restuarant in kiev for business purpose.
thanks.

Hello
Here is the list of Indian restaurants

http://translate.google.com.ua/translat … l=ru&tl=en

Hi!

I am planning on moving to the Ukraine by October if possible. I a professor of history and I was offered a teaching position (teach English) in Dnipropetrovsk. They are offering 4,000 - 8,000 UAH per month to start (private English teaching school). It depends on how many classes I want to teach and it can build from there. It appears it may be an average salary.

My question is: is this an acceptable salary for two people to live on or do I need to try to supplement it with something else? If so, about how much should I look to supplement or provide  total UAH per month? My girlfriend said that 8,500 UAH is a really good salary but she lives in Nikolaev. What do you think?

The posts have been quite informative.

Blessings - Ed

$500 to $1000 is the USD equivalent and is OK Cost of rent will put you back from 200 (bad place) to $300-400 (OK- good place) per month. Don't expect to eat out much. Are you private teaching or in a college or school?

Thank you sisrspeedy for your reply!

I have been offered to teach at a private English learning school (Sunshine ITG). I will need high speed internet access as well. I am doing some teaching work for the fall semester at my current university - all online. How's the reliability of internet service within an apartment setting?

Roughly speaking, about how much are the utilities and good internet connection? I use Skype for my long distance phone through the internet. Do I need a land-line phone? What is the cost of TV viewing?

I may or may not bring my car.

Just a few practical issues :)

Blessings - Ed

Brand new on here, and this is my first post. Firstly I would like to say that the cost of living has risen astronomically over the past 5 years: I live in a village about 40 kilometers from Evpatoriya, I own my own house which I purchased 5 years ago for $5000 and my wife and I live a quiet village life, we spend around 50 english pounds a week on everything, food, electric, phone, gas etc. 5 years ago that figure was less than a quarter of that amount.

I personally would choose a village over a city, and I would buy and not rent. There are 3 English,1 Belgian and a Danish resident here in a village of around 800 homes.

Hi!

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if anyone knew a good village just outside of Dnipropetrovsk that I may look into as a place to live?

Thanks

Sorry can't help you but I'm sure someone else can.

Classicjunk wrote:

Hello everyone.  I am a retired police officer from Cleveland Oh. USA  I have met a lady online and after visiting her last spring we have dicided that I will come and live with her and her daughters for about six months to see how the wind blows. 

I will be living in Nikolaev and we will have to get a bigger flat than what she has now to accomodate all 4 of us.  What does rent for a 3 bedroom flat look like?  And I will be looking for a car also because I will have withdraw symptoms going six months without one.  LOL  And yes I have seen how they drive there.  It reminds me of some of the car chases I have been in!!  LOL

Just google rent companies in Nikolev. Call them ask for quote. It would be better if you lady or someone who speaks russian call them and ask too. I highly recommend not to use car by foreigner. Public transportation is good. Using taxi around town one way will cost ~$3 if you are fluent in Russian or ~$10 for others ;).
It is cheaper to rent car with driver to avoid headache if you have an accident or meet "highway patrol" (GAI).

And do use seat belts. Drivers will hate you for that )))). Saying "that coward american" ))).

Have a good time!!

hiiiiiiii

how much the monthly salary for Banking Jobs in Ukraine?

:)

Hello,

I hope that you will be fine with your staying in Kiev and that you will find in a short time friends to spend the time with. And I mean local people, they can show you the right places in which your budget will fit.

If this, the life can be much cheaper than Moscow.

Here the link, shared already by other posters.

ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2010/gdn/reg_zp_m/reg_zpm10_u.htm

Welcome to Ukraine and enjoy...;)

timidtim wrote:

Hello all.
I just wanted to say that I found all your posts very informative and interesting. I am intending to move to Kiev in September and I have been offered a monthly salary of 950 USD but my accomodation is paid for (thankfully).

I have never visited Ukraine but when I was in Russia I noticed that eating in restaurants was very expensive. As my mother is Spanish I consider 50USD to be very expensive for a meal at a restaurant, considering the low salaries.

Thanks again for all your posts and maybe see you in Kiev

Hi forum readers,
I've been staying in Lugansk for several weeks now.  It's in eastern Ukraine close to the Russian border.  Consequently the predominant language here is Russian.

It is historically a coal and heavy engineering city and consequently has suffered in the recent global economic down turn.  Unemployment is quite high especially amongst youth.

Wages are not keeping up with rising costs and many people here are finding life difficult.  Happily, as a UK pensioner my income is not reliant on the local economy.  I am able to buy bananas and other imported fruit and vegetables, but many Ukrainian pensioners would view these as luxury foods. Furnished, rented apartments cost from a minimum of 1500 UAH monthly, but can cost much more depending on location and the facilities.

I have to return to the UK and my motor caravan after 90 days of residence in Ukraine as I do not have a residential visa.  I'm then unable to return for another 90 days unless I apply for a visa.

I do not recommend bringing a motor vehicle to Ukraine as the roads are often in poor condition and cause problems to suspension and other chassis components.  I'm told that the procedures for importing motor vehicles into Ukraine are onerous.

On the upside, the people are usually most friendly (although not so many speak English) and the cost of living if you are coming from western Europe is much less expensive, especially if you buy local foods and products only.

Ukraine is famous for its pretty girls and if you are an older man like myself then the local demographics are in your favour.  With published adult life expectancy for males at 62, there are more available ladies than men!  The more a lady is over 45, the more difficult it becomes to secure herself a good man.

kakaaa wrote:

hiiiiiiii

how much the monthly salary for Banking Jobs in Ukraine?

:)

Starting bank work salaries I'm told are typically around the 2000 UAH per month.

If anyone is interested in what jobs are being advertised and the salary being offered, see:-work.ua/jobs
However, I would imagine that in the vast majority of cases, if you don't speak Ukrainaian, you've got little chance.  Also can you qualify for a work visa?

pav_kov, thanks for answering my questions.  Yes, she is looking into a flat for us because even if I looked online I have no idea of what kind of nieghborhood would be acceptable to her.   I do not anticipate any issues with paying rent due to my pension.   I still would like to get a vehicle while there.  I understand what you are saying about problems with maybe having accidents and such.  And I am a fairly good driver and am used to weaving in and out of traffic having been a city policeman for 25 years.:cool:  It is just as an American I feel the need for the freedom that having your own vehicle can bring.  And I do wear my seatbelt always.  And I did so there while riding in taxis.   I was wondering about auto insurance there.  Any advice on that?  We will also be fixing up a cottage in the village across the river that she had inherited when her father passed this last August.  It is in need of much work and will need modern plumbing inside as now water is obtained from a well in the courtyard and the toilet and shower are outside!  I need to update these items desparately come springtime.  Should I decide to live there permantly funding this would not be a problem after I sell my home here.  We havent completly made up our minds as to where we will live, USA or Ukraine, we have time to think this over.  Either way I will be happy as long as we are together.