Average salary and cost of living in malta

Hi Catherine,

definitly the UK passport. If your husband can get the UK passport before he arrives he should !

Cheers
Ricky

I would suggest using the UK passport, claiming British citizenship. Others may have a different opinion.

catherineshopper wrote:

Thanks Antonio

Yes will definitely keep in touch and thanks for the positive comments.......
I would be interested in a job @ caremalta if its still available then. We are arriving 10th May..... I also currently work in the Australian Health System/Hospital (for the last 8 years) I mainly do clerical/administration work. But have worked in the Emergency Department, Medical Records Department and now in the Birthing Unit, which I love. Its very hands on and I help the nurses out a lot with the patients.

Will chat to you all in the coming months, as I am sure I will have some more questions :)

Catherine :):)

You're welcome ;)

You can send me a private message when you get here and I will give all the contact details and further information about the role. I am quite sure there will be still vacancies available when you get here. My wife told me they've been looking for people since she started working there, about nearly 5 months ago. The problem is that not everyone is able to do this kind of job and so, some people try it but then they realise it's not for them. Also, they had few youngsters that were working on a part-time basis, so, when the school started, some of them left.
Fingers crossed and there will be still open positions for next year.

All the best ;)

Antonio

Greetings everyone,

My name is Ronaldo, I'm for Portugal and I'm currently looking for new grouns and new challenges.
What would you say, is the minimum ideal salary for a single person to live in Malta with no efforts but also no luxuries?

Thank you all for your help.

Best Regards,

Ronaldo

€ 8-10,000

Thanks for the reply.

How much would that be monthly?

Hi Ronaldo,

I agree with georgeingozo. I would say you'll need a min of 800€ per month to not struggle. But then again, that varies from person to person and will depend on your expenses. But IMHO I reckon with 800 to 1000 euros clean per month, you'd be ok. Maybe even less, who knows...

Btw, I'll reply to your message as son as I have time!

Boa sorte ;)

Antonio

Hi Antonio, thanks for your reply.

I had an interview for a job, that offered 12k year, I think after taxes it's around 700 clean? I've talked to some people and read a bit here, and it looked like 700 wouldn't be enought to live in Malta, from rent (by the way, does rent include water, electric, gas, internet???) , to food, transportation, and I've read that we also have to make an Health insurance, is that right?

I think that sometimes I think too much and make to many calculations on necessary budgets:P.

Well, the kind of person I am, I'm not a night life person, so no bars, no extravaganzas or clothes and shoe purchases. I like relaxing at home with a good movie and some nice good, but I would also love to keep practice sports to where ever I move.

Thank you once again for your time:)

Best Regards,
Ronaldo

P.S.- Does anyone know any website where I can calculate the After Tax Salary in malta?

almost ALL rents do not included elec water and gas.

https://www.konnekt.com/Salary-Calculator

Thank you very much toonarmy9752. So 12k would give around 850e monthly!

RCosta85 wrote:

I had an interview for a job, that offered 12k year, I think after taxes it's around 700 clean? I've talked to some people and read a bit here, and it looked like 700 wouldn't be enought to live in Malta, from rent (by the way, does rent include water, electric, gas, internet???) , to food, transportation, and I've read that we also have to make an Health insurance, is that right?

I think that sometimes I think too much and make to many calculations on necessary budgets:P.

Well, the kind of person I am, I'm not a night life person, so no bars, no extravaganzas or clothes and shoe purchases. I like relaxing at home with a good movie and some nice good, but I would also love to keep practice sports to where ever I move.

Best Regards,
Ronaldo

P.S.- Does anyone know any website where I can calculate the After Tax Salary in malta?

You're welcome Ronaldo!

Right, if you're going to get about 12k per year, that's not too bad. From toon's salary calculator link, you should get average (as you mentioned), about 850€ or more net per month. If you manage to organize your finances well, you should be ok. Where about is based the place where they offered you the job? I am asking this because your savings will depend on the place where you're going to rent and if you're gonna be looking for sharing accommodation or a small flat for your own.

As Toon said, normally if you rent a flat, you'll have to pay the bills separately (water, gas, electricity, internet, telephone, TV). Now, if you're renting a room on a sharing accommodation, it might be the case that all bills are included on your monthly rent.
I would say that for a single person, for all the above services, you shouldn't be paying more than 100€ a month, just for the bills and if you're living on your own.

In regards to health insurance, if you're going to pay for Social Security (which should be automatically deducted from your salary), you won't need to worry about getting a private health cover as you will be fully covered by the national health system.
Overall, I reckon with that kind of income, if you do not over spend, it should be just fine.

Cheerio,
Antonio

if it help, i'm curently single in a 3 bedroom flat and my elec+water bill for 2 months is 65e + 13,5e for internet, I dont use any tv servicer, but watch net streams and dvd's

but must point out that my flat is registred to 1 person so I do pay cheaper utilities

mantonas wrote:
RCosta85 wrote:

Best Regards,
Ronaldo

You're welcome Ronaldo!

Right, if you're going to get about 12k per year, that's not too bad. From toon's salary calculator link, you should get average (as you mentioned), about 850€ or more net per month. If you manage to organize your finances well, you should be ok. Where about is based the place where they offered you the job? I am asking this because your savings will depend on the place where you're going to rent and if you're gonna be looking for sharing accommodation or a small flat for your own.

As Toon said, normally if you rent a flat, you'll have to pay the bills separately (water, gas, electricity, internet, telephone, TV). Now, if you're renting a room on a sharing accommodation, it might be the case that all bills are included on your monthly rent.
I would say that for a single person, for all the above services, you shouldn't be paying more than 100€ a month, just for the bills and if you're living on your own.

In regards to health insurance, if you're going to pay for Social Security (which should be automatically deducted from your salary), you won't need to worry about getting a private health cover as you will be fully covered by the national health system.
Overall, I reckon with that kind of income, if you do not over spend, it should be just fine.

Cheerio,
Antonio

They didn't say the play, they just said the salary, type of company and it was a fixed salary, so no progression. And they would check with the company to see if it was only English or also Maltese language. Still waiting on a confirmation of the name and Location.

And all I need is water, gas, electricity, internet and perhaps cellphone for job purposes.

Thank you once again Antonio.

Abraços,
Ronaldo

Duxx wrote:

if it help, i'm curently single in a 3 bedroom flat and my elec+water bill for 2 months is 65e + 13,5e for internet, I dont use any tv servicer, but watch net streams and dvd's

but must point out that my flat is registred to 1 person so I do pay cheaper utilities

So if one rents a appartment with more than 1 room, if it's just for one person, the utilities are cheaper? That's great.

Yeah I wouldn't need TV or phone (just cellphone) but internet one must have off course.

Thanks;)

RCosta85 wrote:
Duxx wrote:

So if one rents a appartment with more than 1 room, if it's just for one person, the utilities are cheaper? That's great.

Yeah I wouldn't need TV or phone (just cellphone) but internet one must have off course.

Thanks;)

No the size has nothing to do with it. It's how much you use and which tariff you are on.

I've just receive an e-mail from the Recruiter of Spoton and he said that the company's name is Middlesea Insurance, they are based in Floriana.

Is that area, or near, expensive to rent?

Hi Everyone,

First of all I'd like to say sorry because of my English in advance.

My name is Jozsef and I've got an offer recently from Malta: IT-Marketing industry (webdesign). The offer is 35000 euro/year. I think that would be around 2400 euro/month after tax.
What would you say, can I consider it as a good salary in Malta?

A very good salary by Maltas standards.

yep, well over double the median

Hi, I am thinking about life in Malta so I would need some information. I am Czech living in Canada with my husband and my kid. I read the discuss about incomes and spending money for food... in Malta so I found you there. Could I ask you for some question? How much does the car cost? I mean registration, and other charges necessary to pay a year? How much is approximately for buying good used car, too? How much is for babysitting or kindergarden? Thank you and sorry for my English. :)

For the car: check this site uktomalta.com - it's a good idea about the price level. Also for every car you can find the annual road tax in this web-site. Insurance payments (for very basic third-party insurance) start from €200-300 p.a.

There are some private kinder-gardens, but it's not very popular. For babysitting and any other services - check maltapark.com

I pay about € 100 for third party, fire and theft (with max NCB) - would be € 250 ish without NCB

georgeingozo wrote:

I pay about € 100 for third party, fire and theft (with max NCB) - would be € 250 ish without NCB

Yes, sure, with the discounts it's much less. But the initial one, when you just arrived in Malta...

I transferred by NCB from the UK

if you bring proof then you can get the No Claims discount

Hello everyone!

I am student, going to do internship in Malta, I will get 520 eur per month. How do you think - is it enough, can I survive? As I understood I can rent a room in students housing, I have no idea how much it would be.. So my question is - will I survive with 520eur in month in Malta?

Thanks in advance!

All best,
Jelena

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
We are a family of 3, me and my husband work in corporate IT - although he is more technical and I am sadly not that much, but I still have 10 years experience.
He has been offered a salary of around 1700 / month after tax. Job is not secured yet, the interviews are just beginning but it seems we might be able to get it.

My questions for you would be:
1. I am trying to be realistic and I am assuming I will NOT find a job, say in the first 6 months. Although i will apply to every single thing available that fits any slight part of my experience.
Removing 500euro / month , total of our debts from home (we were young idiots and we had credit cards and overdrafts, yes. Oh, and we needed a car credit), we have left 1200.

My child is 3. I would stay home with him until I find a job. Would this money suffice for minimal living? For me, that includes:
- renting a 1 bedroom appartment, nothing fancy but hopefully near job place.
- food, cooked at home
- some groceries - coffee, tea, milk, sugar, etc
- transport for my husband at work and for me around for job interviews
- utilities, including internet

Uh, I think this would be all. I specifically skipped clothing and whatever else from the list. I'll shop when I get hired :))

2. We have a 13 year old dog. I understand Malta allows pets. However, ours is unfortunately an Amstaff mix. he never hurt a fly in his long life but eh, I know they are banned all over Europe. Is there a chance we could bring him to Malta? We feel very guilty for leaving him at the end of his long life with us. And getting someone to adopt a 13 old dog is quite a task...

3. Is nursery free? Or kindergarden? I understand it is but only for both working parents? I am trying to imagine how would I get to job interviews if we cant afford nanny of private nursery and my husband is at work all day.

As a final note, I have been reading here and there on this forum and I am pleasantly surprised at how helpful and amiable you guys are. Very nice community.

Thank you all,
Ina

Difficult to answer regarding income and expenditure, depend upon your lifestyle and what accommodation you are prepared to accept and the terms upon which you would pay for electricity and water. I would suggest that perhaps €600 per month for accommodation + electricity & water + €23.50 a month for good enough internet (Melita).
Melita packages here: http://www.melita.com/personal/internet/packages/
Be prepared to pay a refundable deposit if starting a service with them until e-residence status gained.

As far as bringing your dog is concerned so long as it has an up to date  EU pet passport then its no problem.

This site gives the relevant information......

http://www.caninemalta.com/index.php/ar … h-your-dog

Terry

Hi Ina,

certain types of dogs are not allowed to be imported into Malta. You should contact the authorities to find out if this applies to your 'Amstaff'. If you will be arriving by plane the regulations are stiff. I'm not sure how it works if you arrive by car but it will be similar.

Moving to Malta with an Amstaff will make it very difficult to find decent accomodation on a budget level.

State schools are free but all the other schools and Kindergardens are not free of charge.

1700€/month is a good salary for Malta but 1200€/month is probably borderline to live off with a family of three. But in the end it will depend on lifestyle and you still have the future chance of adding on your own salary!

As has been said , make sure you have the funds to make upfront payments of rent, agent commission and maybe internet/mobile costs if/when you make the move.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello and thank you for your help,

If things materialize, we will make all efforts to find an aquaintance to accept our dog in Romania, and will be willing to pay for his help. However I doubt that anyone would take on such quest, considering his old age. We'll see.

I am worried because I was reading about the difficulties a woman with children has, if she would want to have a full time job. I have worked since I was 18. I am fine with half a year, 1 year, ok, 2 years with no job, but a lifetime of staying at home simply does not suit me. Our family income would be exactly the same as it is here, and actually perhaps further more diminished by slightly higher prices.

I understand there are public free creches / kindergartens. What I did not find was info about their schedule. In here - Romania  -  they open from 8 to 18.00, allowing parents a full time job. I can't find info about their hours in Malta.
I understand primary schools start from 5 yo, are mandatory and have classes from 8 -9 to 12 ? In this case, are there such things as afterschools? Do you have links about their costs perhaps? In here they're usually the same,the hours, however, there are plenty of afterschools, usually in the vicinity of schools or belonging to the school.

How much money, averagely, should my husband have prepared when he gets to Malta? 1 month deposit + 1 month  = rent? That would be around 800E?

Before making any decision, we're trying to calculate how our life would be there in terms of money, since in terms of nice weather and friendly people I guess it would be a progress...So far, I'm not very encouraged. I'm afraid I might remain jobless for the rest of my life or just et hired to cover a nanny's or a school's salary.

Irimina wrote:

How much money, averagely, should my husband have prepared when he gets to Malta? 1 month deposit + 1 month  = rent? That would be around 800E?

Plus the deposit for water and electricity, although I have no idea how much this would be for a family (100?)

Hi Irimina,

I live at the moment on a fraction of what people are saying. I have 3 children and studying a degree. My rent is 350 a month for a 3 bedroom. I give my land lord and extra 50 a month for water and electric. I get a big shop once every 4 weeks and spend around 100 euro, then I have around 30 a week to spend on bread, milk etc. It's not easy to live on so little but we do OK....We even go out for treats (meals) now and again.
As for schooling...Free state schooling is offered from the age of 3. School starts 07:30-08:30 and finishes at 13:30/14:30. A breakfast club (free) starts soon, allowing kids to start school 1 hour earlier and are fed breakfast. After school clubs are available until 17:30 and are 1.20/hour. Low income families can get a reduction.
There is lots of information about this and schooling on this forum...It just takes a bit of digging!
Hope this helps

Caroline

Thank you so much, Caroline!
1.20E / hour after school =  an average of 5E / day, so perhaps 120E maximum per month, which is really reasonable. Cheaper than Romania, as a matter of fact. Where afterschools start at 200-300E / month.

coxf0001 wrote:

Hi Irimina,

I give my land lord and extra 50 a month for water and electric.
Caroline

From my pov that's a very good deal. Nice one!

redmik wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Hi Irimina,

Caroline

A good deal if the 50 a month is really covering the bills.

All in all, he should have around 2000euro at him when he gets there, if he gets the job?
400+400+200= accomodation
I guess around 150 various fees and deposit for utilities
Public transport
And godknows what else. Food, for example.

I am so relieved to read about after school costs. I thought they'd be more like 800-1000E. Thank you for the encouraging news. Going back to my job searches now :)

toonarmy9752 wrote:
redmik wrote:
coxf0001 wrote:

Hi Irimina,

Caroline

A good deal if the 50 a month is really covering the bills.

Some times it goes over...My last bill was 153 for 3 months and he let me off the 3 euro!!

Hi all,

Does anybody know an average salary for a Marketing Assistant?
In Reed report '09 is 12k - 14k. Is there any chance that salaries increased a little bit? :D

Thank you in advance.