Expat regrets

Many expats are serial expats.
They lived and worked in several countries before settling down in a new foreign country.

Which country do you regret now for not having settled in?  :unsure

I regret Austria.  As someone who lived in Austria, I visited Germany, Switzerland and northern Italy quite a bit.  I lived in Canada and returned to St. Lucia.

The only country I somehow am nostalgic about is Austria.

If any, Malaysia.
I visited that wonderful country four times, about 6 months in total.

I tend to agree. Have been to Malaysia. If there is any place I would settle down, it is indeed Malaysia.

Farhaz wrote:

I tend to agree. Have been to Malaysia. If there is any place I would settle down, it is indeed Malaysia.

I love Malaysia and would really like to visit that wonderful country again.
I'd like to spend about six months there, with my camera but that's not possible at the moment.

I am little crazy in this topic...where ever i have been ,i feel like going back to stay there.....no choice in particular...

Another place I'd like to visit again is Lichtenstein.
I used to do weekend shopping in Switzerland, sometimes in Germany and sometimes in that little principality.
Austria was very, very clean, much cleaner than southern Germany.

Austria used to be 'the gates to the west', where all penniless immigrants were housed in camps for selection to go to USA, Canada, UK, Australia, South Africa.
I did not have to go through any of those camps and did it on my own.  On merit.   :cool::top:

mas fred wrote:
Farhaz wrote:

I love Malaysia and would really like to visit that wonderful country again.
I'd like to spend about six months there, with my camera but that's not possible at the moment.

I wish you the best. It will indeed be a very enjoyable and fulfilling 6 months when you do it.

Hong Kong.  I still miss it.  I lived there for about 8 years but ended up in Vietnam.  I love it here,  but still have feelings for HK

In my mind's eye I have gone over all the countries I have lived in:
- As a child in the early 50s where we lived on the Cape Peninsula, South Africa was an ideal environment...but that has changed massively.
- As a young adult in Kenya and Tanzania life was also great...but security issues and crime rates have soared in those two countries.
- As for Britain, Singapore, Israel and Germany...there's nothing there to induce me back.

I think I made the best choice with Switzerland. This place would be ideal if only the winters weren't so damn long.

El_Jost wrote:

This place would be ideal if only the winters weren't so damn long.

That's the thing I least miss about the UK.
Cold, biting winds and snow, all freezing my ears off.
We don't get much snow in Indonesia.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR