Visiting Cairo nowadays?

Hello everyone!
I am about having holidays in Cairo in March or so but I am not really sure because of the late incidents. I heard that after the Mubarak matter, Cairo was not very safe for some months.
I was there last November, just before everything started again and had the best time of my life (that's why I want to go back) but now I wonder if things are not being so safe again.
Ay opinions please?
Thank you very much.

Cristina

welcome to the blog :)

actually it is safe so far, only having some political issues not more.

wishing you best of luck.

thank you very much!
you can't imagine how happy this concrete answer makes me :)

I agree with don moe plus as i am always saying,,,,IT's SAFE SAFE SAFE ;)
wish u a nice vacation in our lovely land :)

very safe ,just avoid tahrir area where there are some demonstrations usually on fridays
but dnt cancel ur trip
cairo is still safe

ok, thanks everybody

donot worry..Cairo is a very safe place...you can come and enjoy here in Egypt.

Hi there
Happy new year
As long as you have been here in Egypt before so you wn't feel the difference.

go ahead and book your tickets, just try to keep away from el Tahrir Square and may be if you are an adventurer person you would enjoy going there :-)

wish you'll enjoy it and keep on asking locals on the blog if you ever need an assistance.

Though the previous posts assure you that the cairo is completely safe - please take care. If I were in your shoes I would reconsider coming here..Before the revolution Cairo was completely safe, but recently it's become more frequent the taxi drivers to rob or rape the women (especially european-looking), as well more radical kind-of-agreessive muslims appeared, not taking into account every-friaday demonstrations in tahrir, in average the situation in the city has become dense and can explode any moment..In case you still consider coming - please take care, especially using taxi and being alone at night...

Osik wrote:

Though the previous posts assure you that the cairo is completely safe - please take care. If I were in your shoes I would reconsider coming here..Before the revolution Cairo was completely safe, but recently it's become more frequent the taxi drivers to rob or rape the women (especially european-looking), as well more radical kind-of-agreessive muslims appeared, not taking into account every-friaday demonstrations in tahrir, in average the situation in the city has become dense and can explode any moment..In case you still consider coming - please take care, especially using taxi and being alone at night...

yes, please be careful when you do come here. it is not as safe as the men will lead you to believe. This is an arab country and of course men will be safe. We, women on the other hand have a lot of issues to deal with that they will never encounter. I've been told to carry an knife in my purse and to have a gun in my home. Makes you wonder about how safe this place really is. So if you do decide to come please keep in mind that it is generally safe but you never know what's going to happen, ever. Lastly, there's no police anywhere but the police station(if you can find one). So that's another thing to take into consideration.

it's weird that it is always Egyptian men who claim that Cairo is a very safe place for women, I can tell that it is not.
Both my daughter and I have been violated in public.:(

GithaU wrote:

it's weird that it is always Egyptian men who claim that Cairo is a very safe place for women, I can tell that it is not.
Both my daughter and I have been violated in public.:(

You are right, GithaU, because this place is more of a male society than women, women are just being used in this country and no rights what so ever, and they keep telling the foreigners Egypt is way better than before, believe it or not that's why I haven't brought my family here, I'm just scared one day someone can humiliate and attack them on the street, and I have heard many incidences, SO BE CAREFUL.......

ha, how did it go?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=197602

Obviously it is a bit less safe than it used to be... but still pretty safe.

You will need to be aware of some things though... mostly common sense... no walking in a dark street on your own, hitching rides with strangers that kind of stuff

but aside from that and especially if you know some locals you should be more than fine

cheers

It is safe here in Cairo for tourists. The events seen in the news are isolated and only in certain locations. You will forget about them after a day or two in Cairo once you see how normal and regular city life is. And it's a good time to see attractions because they are not swarming and busy with tourists.