Bored in rural PA

North western PA, am I the only expat here? My uncle-in-law is German that's the only variety I got so far :)

Hi Sammmmm,

Yes, it probably can get pretty boring in N.W. Pennsylvania since towns are few and far-between. Most of the interesting places are on the east side of the state. Look on the bright side though, you've got peace and quiet, birds singing in the morning and probably have to search to find a traffic signal. Some people would envy you!

If you live in or near one of the small communities in that part of the state then you should see if there are any community associations or women's clubs to join. I'm sure you'll find it a bit easier to make friends if you join some group.

Do you live anywhere near Erie, PA? I was born and raised on the other side of the lake, Hamilton - ON. I've travelled a bit in PA before I came to Brazil over 12 years ago now. It really is a beautiful state.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi wjwoodward!
It is beautiful and quiet here indeed. I live an hour drive away from Erie :) I studied here and I volunteered, however not that much of a success in finding friends so far. I have a couple of acquaintances though. I hoped to find people with same interests but I seem to have rare ones for the area.
Brazil sounds intriguing! How do you like it there?

Hi Sammmmm,

Well once you get used to the suffocating bureacracy that effects Brazilians and expats alike it's quite an amazing place. Lots of crime and violence here, but if you use your head and follow the common sense safety rules that one should use anywhere in the world it's really something you only see on the newscasts. I've been here for over 12 years now and never had any problems at all.

The only thing that I really can't handle is seeing Christmas lights on palm trees and celebrating the holiday season in full blown summer! (as if there's any other season here) I'm probably never really going to get used to the heat.

Cheers,
James

Sammmmm wrote:

North western PA, am I the only expat here? My uncle-in-law is German that's the only variety I got so far :)

Getting those Siberia vibes?
As the expert told you, a lot more of EVERYTHING in Brazil.