Bring dog to Qatar

We're hoping to move to Qatar this summer. Sooooo excited!!
Am I doing the right thing by planning to bring Emma, my 13 year old Jack Russell Terrier with a heart murmur???
She's almost deaf, a bit of a grumble bum but I rescued her 6 years ago & I would miss her ALOT!!
I do intend to be involved with dogs, either fostering or looking after pets while owners are on their hols.

Hello Summeranne and welcome to Expat.com!

I started a new thread with your message in the Qatar forum for a better visibility.

Thanks,

Francesca

hey summer,

bringing your dog to Doha its easy, you just need to finilize all documents from UK and the Qatari embassy in london

Dear Summeranne,

Bringing your dog to Doha is easy as far as you have all the paperwork from your vets in UK, There are a couple of vets in Doha who assist with pet relocation. Their websites are as follows

Park View Vets
and Doha Vets

There are many dog rescue groups here 2nd Chance rescue, Dogs in Doha and Qatar Animal Welfare society are the major ones.

There is need for a lot of foster families and volunteers, Hope to see you helping out with dogs when you come down.

Cheers
Amit

I am relocating to Doha with my family, we have a one year old Pug who is the kids pet and they are very attached to her.
Can we bring the dog with us?
Is the process simile of very complicated to do this?
Where do I go to find out what is required to undertake this?

Many thanks in advance for the input and advice.

Ian

Yes, of course, you can.  We've brought ours from Cyprus to Bahrain.  Then 3 yrs later brought her here in Doha.  Just make sure  the flight you're on is classified as 'Cargo'.  Even then, we had a problem in Bahrain because they decided to change the type of flight for us at the last minute.  We got  stuck at the Airport for another 3 hrs for the next flight to Doha, but our little one came along with us.

Also, make sure s/he has own passport (from the Vet), has sbeen chipped, and above all her immunization record is up to date and at done, at least, a month before travelling.

Do you have anybody to receive your dog here?  We dealt with a marvelous lady we can recommend.

Good luck.

Helen Rogers

Hello im a single lady with a scruffy mut coming to live in Doha to teach art is the country ok with dogs?

Yeah it's okey with that but there are some type of dogs aren't allowed include
American Staffordshire
Boirbul
Boston Terer
Boxer
Paul Terer
Bulldog
Shar Pei Chinese
Doberman
Great Dane
Japanese Akita
Naples mastiff
Afghan Hond
Ruth Weiler
Staffordshire Bull Terer

Hello, please help! We planing to move to Doha, cuz my husband will have a job there..And we have a chow chow with us, but I was reading a lot of info about Doha is not dog friendly... Please let me know about dog friendly park and swimming areas, where we can go every day with our puppy? Thanks in advance

Hear no any issue u can du eny thing with your dog

Hi looking for information on my dog as my husband in the process of getting a job in Qatar .

And reading about the dogs that are t aloud in the country!

I have American bulldog
           Staffie and french bull dog

Doas this mean if we relocate I can't take my dogs because of there breed? Will be devasted if we can't

Gillian ;)

The list of banned breeds given by moroccan1 is correct.
Looks like your dogs will not be allowed into the country. You should go online, find contact information for the relevant govt department that handlers pet imports, and contact them.
You could also try contacting an international pet transport company too.

The import of pets is permitted, however certain larger breeds of dog namely; Boxers, Bulldogs, Rottweilers, Great Danes and Dobermans are not granted entry. Rabies is not present in Qatar; however dogs and cats being imported are required to be vaccinated against it.

You are required to obtain an import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture in Qatar, in order to obtain this – you must provide a valid health certificate produced by a government-approved veterinary clinic at the point of origin, together with a copy of your pet's vaccination record. The health certificate may not be dated earlier than two weeks prior to the date of the animals' arrival in Qatar. Application forms should be readily available through your sponsoring employer, the offices at the Ministry of Agriculture on Airport Road or through your Pet Relocation assisting party.

An easier option is to have your animal brought in through the services of an experienced Pet Relocator, in which case they will generally require you to provide them with the animals documentation (as above), along with a photograph of your pet, plus copies of your passport and the airway bill or flight details, they should then be able to obtain the necessary permit within two weeks.

Animals can travel with their owners on the same flight or separately, but must travel as manifested cargo. Generally they are released immediately after customs clearance. It is important to note that airlines have their own procedures with regards to the carriage of animals in the hold – their traveling containers have to meet international IATA standards, which are stringent to ensure to well being of animals on board. It is a good idea to consult with a Pet Relocator who can best advise on travel procedures and airlines with a good handling record of animals in their care.

Exporting:

If you are leaving Qatar and will be taking your pet with you, all pets must be vaccinated against Rabies. The rule is that this vaccination is to be carried out a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 360 days before the date of travel, however there are exceptions. The U.S.A. requires dogs entering to have their rabies vaccination between 30 and 180 days before arrival.

Airlines require a health certificate, which can be obtained from the Ministry of Agriculture's Veterinary Department. You will be required to take the pet along for an examination, and provide current vaccination records. There is no charge for this service; however the validity of the export document is only seven days. This document should be taken to the QNT office in the Cargo Section at Doha International Airport at least five days before you wish to travel. They will book the flight and issue you with an airway bill, and you need to pay the full fare, plus handling charges, at this stage.

Again, you will also be required to provide a travel kennel that complies with the airline's regulations. It is suggested if at all possible to consult a Pet Relocator for assistance in exporting your pet.

For more information Please check Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Qatar

Hi, I am relocating to qatar next month, I intend on getting my one year old shih tzu, with me. Can you help me out with the procedures? I have heard that Qatar has cut ties with Bahrain. Would it be difficult to get my dog now? Can she travel in plane or does she need to go through a courier service?

You can travel via Oman. Please find the International Air travel regulations
Qatar Airways
Oman Airways