Domestic and residential tariffs (again, sorry)

Hello...
I've just read different posts of the same topic in the forum but because I couldn't find any of them in the same situation than mine, I'd like to explain in case you can advise me something helpful. It's worrying me so much these days. So I hope to be in the correct category and not to seem very boring with a new story of an old matter. I tell you:
I'm living in Malta since almost one year ago. I'm Spanish and I have my Maltese ID card as well.
For different reasons, I've moved from one flat to another for several times since I came, but anyway I was always paying residential rates in my bills. Last time I moved was for the 1st of January. It's the place where I'm living since then. Before signing the lease agreement, I asked my landlord the type of tariff they have for this place (if it was the residential o domestic one) and they told me RESIDENTIAL, I remember perfectly. Anyway, I made the big mistake of not asking them to write it down for me in the contract paper because I wanted to start in a comfortable not mistrustful relationship.
My situation now, unfortunately, is the result of my mistake: I've recently received my first bill with an exorbitant amount of money to pay for it and, after checking the invoice, I could realize the reason was the one I was afraid of: the bill is rated as domestic.
I talked with the landlord about this issue and he told me, even though it was face to face, that he doesn't remember that conversation about what rate they have for this flat. Incredible. What is more, he doesn't want to change the rate or paying the difference between one and another rate (both suggestions coming from me). The alternatives he offers to me are: accepting things as they are (and trying to consume less if I want to save some money) or leaving the flat (of course without my deposit back).
Any suggestions about what to do in my shoes?
Thanks in advance for your time reading.

Leave unless you love the place so much that you are willing to save energy and pay the domestic rate. How much are you actually talking about? A few more details would help commenting.

I guess all has been said between you and your landlord.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Ricky,

first of all, thanks for replying :)

We've paid for one month (we're 2 people) €122.71, so let's say something more than €60 per person. Before, for the same period -but in residential rate- I was always paying between €25 and €30 (per person) and it's not my flatmate because I was sharing with him before and the expenses were the same (around €25 or €30 per month per person).

Tell me please what more details would be helpful in order to be better advised.

Well, domestic tarif is 'only about' 40 % more expensive that residential so your new appartment must be much larger and have a lot of appliances or you changed your habits ( more aircon or electric heating).

Electricity for a large appartment can run at 100 €'s or more per month! That could be normal even on residential tarif.

My girlfriend is paying 70 €/month on domestic for a 1 bedroom appartment. You should check the readings once a week if you have access to the SmartMeter and check with the billed usage and amount (whether residential or domestic doesn't matter) to see if that adds up.

Ricky

landlords are not to be trusted where this matter is concerned the watchword here is dont trust the smiley smiley landlords.... they wil lie to you to get you to sign THEIR contract  - simple as that  - you hAve NO PROTECTION HERE AS A TENANT

Thank you both of you for your comments. The situation does not seem positive at all for me... The only info I could find to this regard (from this forum as well) is in this link: http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … -trying-to (3rd paragraph). I do not know if it is true and it is old (from 2010) but at least I can try something... Maybe I will be just wasting time and energy but because it is not fair, I want to try my best to solve it.

remember that if you pay him cash and he wont sign form H for the lower residential utility tariffs for you - hes probably not declaring his income from rents for tax....thats his choice of course..... just as its yours to leave and find a tax compliant landlord... they do exist...

there are risks of course - your contract will dictate when you can leave - if you leave early you wil lose your deposit (thats normal anyway - whether you leave early or not - still not acceptable though.

Many landlords are shysters......and dont play fair - they only want your money nothing more

There are many others who do - so there is some level of balance.... YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND THEM. it can be a hard task to do so - but if you know where and what to ask you can avoid these traps.

we havent really had a bad one so far (3 really good ones out of 4 so far)  - but our last one was mainly good bu did change when there was a dispute when we left - but as usual they claimed damages/losses that didnt really exist...... SO PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS  -  YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DONT

toonarmy9752 wrote:

(...)There are many others who do - so there is some level of balance.... YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND THEM. it can be a hard task to do so - but if you know where and what to ask you can avoid these traps.

we havent really had a bad one so far (3 really good ones out of 4 so far)  - but our last one was mainly good bu did change when there was a dispute when we left - but as usual they claimed damages/losses that didnt really exist...... SO PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL COSTS  -  YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DONT

Thanks again for your guidance toonarmy.

I have quoted and highlighted what I do not know about your last post, in case you can try to explain to me better if possible:
1. Regarding what and where to ask for the next time I will move, do you mean to write in the contract the kind of tariff they have?
2. How could I protect myself to avoid having the problem you say? (losing my deposit as well at the end of the contract)

Cheers.

Its not a matter so much of asking the landlord what tariff is on, but whether they will allow you to be registered a tenants so as to obtain the cheaper tariff. The apartment might be on the lower rate when you move in due to the previous tenants, but if they move their ID/eResidence cards to another place, then the rates will go back to the higher rates.

"2. How could I protect myself to avoid having the problem you say? (losing my deposit as well at the end of the contract)"

one option is to rent through a good estate agent, but still doesnt guarantee

galapaga wrote:

I asked my landlord the type of tariff they have for this place (if it was the residential o domestic one) and they told me RESIDENTIAL, I remember perfectly.

they might have been telling the truth, but to keep the residential tariff you would need to register with ARMS as tenants

Don,t forget the 12month rule!
You cannot keep changing your address and expect to get the lower rate, there has to be one complete calendar year, Before you can change to the lower rate.

Terry

not a complete calendar year, but a new calendar year and as long as not done in Nov or Dec (I Think)

so Oct 2013 and Jan 2014 is OK  - I think ??

or is it

Oct 2013., then Oct 2014 is OK
but
Nov 2013, have to wait until Jan 2015 ??

I think it means complete year, jan to Dec.

Terry

going through an estate agent - evena supposed good one - in no way guarantees the lower rates as in my experiinces so far and many many letters an emails to over 25 of them they do not tell tenants what the tariffs are and the landlords dont either unless you expressly request it - and even then if they tell you ask them to prove it by seeing bills with it quoted and as a safeguard have it written in the lease contract and independantly witnessed - but not by the agent as they may be independants working for a company but with no real responsibility to you

Many people have been lied to about the tariff and theyve only found out when the bills arrive  - and then its too late - then the deaf ears come into play....

ALSO DONT GET CONNED IN TO THE PRE PAY METER EITHER  -  THE LANDLORD CAN SET THE RATE....A HIGHER ONE.....

A landlord telling you what the tariff is before you move in is of limited use. What matters is if they will allow you to be recognised as tenants by ARMS

TRUE  - BAD CHOICE OF WORDS ON MY PART -

but IF they tell the truth then at least you wil know ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.... then and only then can you truly make the right choice.....

best plan get FORM H  complete it and ask the landlord to complete his section...

REFUSAL - WALK AWAY - AND FAST

toonarmy9752 wrote:

best plan get FORM H  complete it and ask the landlord to complete his section...

REFUSAL - WALK AWAY - AND FAST

exactly :-)