Job market in Italy???

Hi all

Just wondering what the job market is like in Italy for English-only speaking Aussie if I get a working visa?

Just curious to see if
1 - I need Italian, or English is acceptable
2 - If there is any jobs to be had?

My experience is admin but I am happy to take what I can get!

Connie

the job market here is in its worst shape since WWII. We are in a 1929-style economic crisis. Those having a job are often asked to take a pay cut. Being a native speaker of English is good but you have to be able to understand Italian. It's not necessary to be fluent but you must have a very good comprehension and make yourself understood. There aren't many possible employers willing to speak English only with you. I'm in Venice and I see some luxury items stores hiring people who speak at least Russian and French as well. English language is already taken for granted.

Thank you Paolo for your reply. I am saddened to hear that. I would have loved to live and work in Venice in particular. Do you think I might be able to find something unskilled or part time?

There are also difficulties in getting a VISA letting you to be regularly hired.
Without a previous request from an Italian company you can only get a touristic VISA.

A way to overcome this could be joining a school (an art school, a computer school, whatever) and get a VISA for students. Once you are here you could seek a family wanting a baby sitter speaking to their children in English, or if you have some skills (C++ programming, website design, etc.) you can look for local companies needing external consulting.

But before doing this I would advise you to join Duolingo dot com and take the free italian course, completing it at the 25th level, at least.

Good luck !

Unemployment is at record highs, so you'll have plenty of competition....
Proficiency in English is a pro, but then most employers want English AND Italian.
Not easy.

Do I need the job first?  I thought I could get a job visa and find a job once I am there?

If you're not an european citizen you cannot get a job VISA without having someone offering you a job, before getting the VISA. The law was designed to hinder immigration of unskilled and poor people, especially from north africa, but applies to all non-european people.  Obviously people come anyway, and we have a lot of illegal immigrants working without a permission.  Hence, there are a lot of tricks to get a VISA letting you to work legally. There are even people marrying old retired guys.

Anyway, imho, if you cannot find an italian company requesting you for you skills before coming here, the best chance is to come here with a touristic or study VISA and then find a part-time job. In this way you can learn the language and make up your mind whether this is really a place where you want to live or not. By now there are a lot of unemployed italians who would like to move in Australia :)

bye
Paolo