Bunk beds/stacked beds

I am going to be in Ethiopia in April and am wanting to purchase bunk beds for a refugee camp.  They can either be made of wood or metal.  Can someone please advise where the best place to purchase:

1.  beds:  or materials to make beds
2.  mattresses
3.  sheets/blankets
4.  AND, are durable mattress covers available in country??

Thank you!
Jennifer

Hi There. I might be able to help you out as I know someone who makes steel items and could make bunk beds, He has made bed bases for me before and they are very good. Reply to this email and I will provide you with my phone number...  Karen in Addis

Wow, it seems you are going to bless people suffering. Yes, there are places you can buy good bunk beds made from metal, wood is a real option and tend to be super expressive as not much wood in here. I would not advice wood based bed for refugee campus. Anyway, getting the metal bunch beds be made is possibility but that can take some time and it really depends on how many much time you may have to get them all ready. Once you do the ordering or buying of the beds, then you can go to the only one company it is called kest debena (not sure the spelling) and they can do the mattress for you in matter of few hours or so according to the size of the beds (you have to do the measuring yourselves if you are to be sure you have the right size of mattress for the beds) . It would be out of sponge but you can have them make synthetic leather cover (this would keep the mattress clean (especially if children or/and women with no access to diapers…..use them and it is very easily cleanable. when you get here call me or email me if you are still need of this kind of help, as I will be happy to help.

Thank you for the information.  Aveda, I replied to you yesterday but do not see it listed so I do not know if you got it?  I am still trying to figure the format of this blog.  If you want to send me your number I will have my colleague contact you.

Greatplace, if you have any company names that make metal frames that would be great.  Do you  know if the mattress company also makes the synthetic leather covers, or do you know another company that does?

Thank you!

Hi Jennifer,

I do not have company that makes bed or mattress but I have helped orphanages with safe beds for older kids and cribs for babies. So I have kind of seen it all in this area. I have guy who made some strong metal based bunk beds that you can use as well but again it take time to get it ready so just not sure how much time you will have for such.   But you kind of have to know what you really want and help them understand, such as size, height/width. And the mattresses, the company that cuts the mattresses accordingly to your request both thickness and height/width normally they have the synthetic leathers there but sometime they say they are out if it only have simple cloth. You can request to be covered with such there or bring the SL from other place (Merekato) the biggest shopping center and I would by the SL there so, get the best quality, so are very thin and can tear very easily.  If you have a very good local driver then it is not big deal you can go there that plus bed sheets, other stuff that you may need for the refugees. Hope this is helpful.

[Moderated: pls post in the housing section]

Hello,

I am sorry that I just came across this message!  Any information on making of bunk beds of steel or wood is greatly appreciated and the sooner the better as we are arriving in Ethiopia later this week.

Can you please tell me who we can contact about an order?

Thank you!

Hi My number is (Moderated: For security reasons please avoid leaving your phone number on the forum) and my name is Karen and can give you a contact about steel bunks or steel furniture

(Moderated: Please post in the section buy and sell ads in Addis Ababa)