British food

Can anyone tell me where to buy british foods in Budapest ?

There are some so called "delicatessen" shops in the city, and they have little british section. [moderated: nice try,but it didn't work]

Tesco has some british products as well (although why someone would like to buy british/american food is beyond comprehension).

Tomasc, I often find Hungarians quite arrogant regarding their food and often reluctant to try food from other countries. We've had Hungarian family visiting us when we were in England but they wouldn't eat English dishes and insisted on us making them Hungarian dishes. On the other hand, when we're in Hungary, as hospitable as our families are, they would never even consider making English food for us. And I do not just eat full English breakfasts or cover everything in ketchup;o)
Hungarians have some wonderful food but there's a big world out there with many different foods equally as tasty or even better, British and American included.

Actually i am not hungarian... and you might be right about hungarians (although i do find food in hungary superior to both uk an us)... and we do all have our own tastes but i have been living in uk, us, italy, france, australia, singapore and spain and sorry to say... the anglo-saxon food ranks quite low in my world scale (and most of other people as well)... i find it a bit of acquired taste to be honest... of course if you do have acquired that taste, it is nice to find something!

1) I never said you were Hungarian
2) That's a very broad statement "the anglo-saxon food ranks quite low in my world scale (and most of other people as well)" and one which you cannot possible prove. It is fair to say that you do not like English food but to say that most other people don't is ridiculous
3) English food is so varied that you cannot justify saying that it is an aquired taste.

Newly arrived, and already jonesing for a couple of things I thought might be more available here (like cheese that ISN'T made by Trappist monks, for example!! :D)

Anyhow, I found the following site which delivers British foods in Budapest.  Not a huge selection, but it might keep the pangs at bay!

thebritishpantry.hu

Hope it helps!

Nice find:) but certainly pricey. If I was desperate for a luxury then maybe I'd splash out on an odd item but I certainly couldn't afford to do my weekly shop there.

Dear PDlinHungary,
Sorry to hear that you think we are expensive.
We do have to ship goods from the UK which is not a cheap exercise also, unfortunately, we are not in the same league as Tesco, so we are obviously buying small quantities which means we do have to pay more.
I think if anybody is interested in buying British food if they compare our prices to anybody they will find our prices competitive and for a small minimum order the goods are delivered at a time to suit the buyer, included in the price.
If you are outside Budapest, as the website states, we do our outmost to deliver them to you as cheap as possible.
At the end of the day this is not really designed as a weekly shop, I am sure we all miss certain things and it is nice to be able to get them when you want them. Not to be a luxury but a little treat.

There's an English food shop opened up in Eger now near the castle. It is called "The English Food Shop" and is at Almagyar ut 7

I have no connection with this shop, I just thought it worth mentioning to other expats or visitors to Eger.

British food has traditionally been based on beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish and generally served with potatoes and one other vegetable. The most common and typical foods eaten in Britain include the sandwich, fish and chips, pies like the cornish pasty, trifle and roasts dinners. Some of our main dishes have strange names like Bubble & Squeak and Toad-in-the-Hole.

The staple foods of Britain are meat, fish, potatoes, flour, butter and eggs. Many of our dishes are based on these foods.

Is there a point you are trying to make here Kate, or was it just spam?

Anyway, why can't the British people just not use spices to make their food from the raw ingredients? :-)

(just kidding, I'm no fan of greasy Hungarian food either, and remember painfully well how bad homesickness sucks.)

Hi , I am actually a hungo , cooking lots of vegi/vegan british food etc. so we are not all that bad eating lard for breakfast. Anyway , not to join here but give you this address , where I am shopping, nice and friendly , you can ask for specials , they bring it ,reasonable price.
britishstore.hu

Try the British Store, Budapest, XIII, Tatra ut 26, 1136 or alternatively Culinaris, Budapest,1067, they have 3 stores in Budapest, we use Hunyadi Ter 3,.

Good Luck

Hello RolyD -> Thank you for the info. Just to note that this thread is old (2010). ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

The Caledonia Pub serves "British"  food.  It is usually packed with Brits and Scotts.  Someone there should be able to help you.

http://www.kaledonia.hu/index.php?lang=en

petewsh61 wrote:

The Caledonia Pub serves "British"  food.  It is usually packed with Brits and Scotts.  Someone there should be able to help you.

Scots are Brits! I do most of my shopping in Lidl and every few months they have "British Food Week" when they stock a small selection of items they usually only keep in their UK shops. For me, the best of these is the cheddar cheese but they also have shortbread, marmalade, baked beans and a few other things.
I find a lot of the biscuits in Hungary bland and boring but recently  discovered that Penny Market do a version of Hobnobs and Chocolate Hobnobs. I now mostly buy those or the variations on a theme of Jaffa Cakes.

There's a small British chocolate shop in Arena Plaza.
Someone already mentioned
thebritishstore.hu
Culinaris.hu
Tesco
and sometimes Lidl will have ethnic-themed weeks when you can get imitations of brit, american, chinese, mexican, etc.

You can also try the Azsia Bolt next to the Nagyvasarcsarnok (great market hall) - They have lots of international cooking staples there in addition to Asian. It's across the alley next to the market hall, nestled in next to a second-hand store.

It may be an old thread, but people are sure to find it useful in the future.

Did anyone try with the Moroccan cuisine and food!?

My wife being Hungarian, myself English & having lived/retired here for 12 years, we are still unable to find a good shop in Hungary that sells a nice fresh cut of Beef, Lamb, Brisket etc; only "gummy" old cuts, all you can buy here ie; chicken, duck, fish, cuts of turkey, when consulting a butcher, the answer being "that they are to expensive"........!!!!  - Also we do find Hungarian food to be very fatty, totally unhealthy, unless you wish to have plenty cholesterol within your system, then it is OK,. Also why is it they have plenty TV shows with British chefs....??? I do wonder sometimes,. :)

RolyD wrote:

"that they are to expensive"........!!!!

The current price for beef, lamb, pork etc. on the hoof is so much higher abroad, a lot of this is being shipped out of Hungary to EU and foreign markets (a lot of goat and lamb is going to Turkey). I am pretty certain that is what the butcher meant. Most Hungarians, on their salary, can not afford to buy meat at such abroad price levels. Market reality: No local demand due to high prices, so no market.

Besides, chicken and fish are more healthy for you than beef or lamb.  ;)

I do know an expat who rears lambs and sells the meat but he is not near Heves.

Wilkinsons British sausages and The British Pantry can get any meat you want.