Open Season on Ripoff Realtors

smmr wrote:

But then deeve007 showed her bad side by being opinionated, and calling Gringos old bitter expat....STOP BOTH OF YOU.

Her...??

I'm fine with people having informed opinions, indeed I have more respect for those who do and can convey them with passion and intellect.

What I don't like is ignorant opinions, based on a lack of knowledge and/or experience, as is the OP's in this thread.

Distinct difference in the two.

Hello everybody,

It would be nice if we can speak calmly here !!

We are all a team, so please keep our team spirit and avoid engaging ourselves in personal attacks. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

this is an Expat.com and we are delighted your here to share and we want your opinion but no personal name calling.  Yes I am old, yes I am an expat, yes I am proud of being an American, yes I'm proud of being a Voting Resident of Ecuador.  And I thought we were sharing information for more Expat to come to Ecuador.  This thread above is for Ripoff Realtors its there Open Season.
1.  I tell people to only use people that other relatives know or friends know and come and rent for a year before buying anything please.  It is logical.  Rent until comfortable.
2.  Start Spanish lessons in America now.
3.  Leave money in America do not move anything for a while do not trust a soul.
4.  Use a fisilitator even though you have a Realestate lady/man she will speak Spanish for you and advise you and protect you and use someone good trustworthy others highly recommend.  She will bring up things the Realestate person won't this is good.  She will talk if the area is safe.
5  WE CAN NOT TELL YOU ENOUGH DO NOT RUSH INTO TO BUYING THIS IS NOT AMERICA.  I HAVE BEEN HERE 2 YRS AND LOVE IT,  I FEEL SAFE I LOVE THE PEOPLE BUT EVERY PLACE HAS BAD APPLES AND SITUATIONS TAKE YOUR TIME.
THERE ARE 5 HEALTH CARE GROUPS 4 ARE NOT PAYING FOR PRESCRIPTIONS SEE YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THAT UNLESS YOU TALK AROUND TO THE PEOPLE.
I KNOW BECAUSE I AM OLD AND SICK.  THE ONE I AM WITH IS PAYING MY MONTHLY PRESCRIPTIONS STILL BUT THE OTHER FOUR INS COMPANIES IS COLLECTING PEOPLES MO INS BUT NOT PAYING PRESCRIPTIONS LIKE THEY ARE SUPPUSE TO.  SEE YOU WOULD LEARN THIS ALL BY COMMUNICATIONS, NEIGHBORS, FRIENDS, ECUADORIANS, EXPATS, GRINGOS BY LIVING HERE.

Will be moving to Ecuador in Aug 2014. Planning in renting. Would never buy in country outside USA. Would like any tips or advice before getting there. Thanks, Sarah

Themiddleoftheworld wrote:

Whytehorse,

Where did you get this $666/acre price from?  That absolutely does NOT apply to the whole country....to throw such a general number at an entire audience living in or interested in living in Ecuador is more misleading than the "Real Estate Tours" your discussing.

Have you ever seen this thread before, I wonder...

The guy "Whytehorse" claiming to be from "Stinkville" was trying to expose a scam directed at his mother.

After Whytehorse claimed the scammers were trying to get much more from her than the supposedly true value of $666 an Ecuadorian acre, the above poster asked Whytie where he came up with that figure.

666, eh...maybe the Devil made him say that...

Anyway, I am reviving this old thread from early 2014 because of an email I got a few minutes ago that the scam crowd thought they could use to mess with my computer.  I didn't think this matter deserved a new thread, so I found this one which included posts on real-estate and also other supposed scams.

So just now I get this email from Mary Tailor, the clerk of court.  Or at least that's who the email said it was.

Now, I'm in Quito, and I don't get legit communications via email telling me to appear in court next week or the judge will hear the case without me.

I do a little googling and find out that this is a fairly widespread scam:
they tell you your case is coming up and to bring the relevant documents to court.  All you have to do then is to download the documents.

Except, of course, it's a scam...and if you open the attached file, "malware" will then be transferred to your computer.  Virus time.

I just thought that any EC or Serial Expats -- even readers in exotic places like the Philippines or Wichita -- might want to be aware that these nasty emails are going around.  Opening the files they offer is not advised.

cccmedia in Quito

Been getting them for years, also IRS notices that I have a tax refund available.

cccmedia wrote:

I just thought that any EC or Serial Expats -- even readers in exotic places like the Philippines or Wichita

I had no idea Wichita is an exotic place, have to check that out since it is so much closer than the Philippines.

LOL, we're about as exotic as Quito.  :D  Drop by if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Joanneinict wrote:

LOL, we're about as exotic as Quito.  :D

Quito has the Teleferico, the iconic Winged Virgen statue atop  El Panecillo, an "avenida" -- Amasonas -- that attracts large numbers of visitors from the world over, the incredible Gothic Basilica overlooking the city, volcanos as a backdrop and and a plethora of international eateries.

Wichita..whattaya got there...

cccmedia in Quito

I understand where Whytehorse is coming from. I have had the same experience in Egypt as well as Panama.
But all I wanted to do is rent.  Suddenly there is nothing available except high priced houses that are more than the locals would pay. I realize I am a gringo, but that does not make me rich.  Or homes to purchase/condos, etc. built by developers and sold at inflated prices.  I think, though, that immigrants or long-term visitors are in large part at fault here because we are actually willing to pay the inflated prices instead of negotiating down.  $200,000 for a small property that has 2 bedrooms, "built to American standards" with a view of the ocean and is in a gated community?  And the "developers" are a well known couple in the "Retirement" business. Shame on them for their greed. I have no problem living among the Ecuadorians or Panamanians. In fact that is what I prefer.