I am planning to move to the Domican Republic, plz advice me. #HELP

Hello Everyone,
I am Lily. I recently went on a vacation to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata to be exact and I honestly fell in love with the city, the people, food, & all that was at my reach. I stayed at Lifestyle resort but I spent half of my trip visiting  some good and not so good neighborhoods and the local markets. I loved it and now I am considering the move but I am not so sure on where to start. I am originally from Africa so it was refreshing for me to see that some of their cultures and traditional norms were very similar to ours. Yes, I ditched all the comfort and security of my resort, hired a personal motoconcho driver so I can experience the "real Dominican lifestyle". I went by the boulevard, the city center, the justice/judicial courts, and even went clubbing at Extravanganza till 5am in the morning, & much more! The personnel at the resort did advice me not to step out because I was a tourist with little knowledge about the DR & that I'll be taking a risk all on my own. I am so glad I did because I would have felt cheated out of the wonderful experience had I succumb to the verbal fear! I am considering to move anytime after May, thus allowing my 3 girls to complete the current school year here in the US. I do plan to obtain our Resedencia so I'll be able to work legally with my degrees or start a small business. First and most important, I will like to find a nice 3 bdrms apartment or a single family home for me and my girls in a nice and safe neighborhood. Any suggestion on where to look? Thanks in advance guys :-)

Hi LilyC,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you first to have a look to the Housing in Dominican Republic section, it can be helpful.

An online search for accommodation websites too will help you to find an apartment. ;)

Good Luck,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Liliy,
I put a long post on your other thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob K

woow Bob, thank you very much for the information. honestly, I am not planning to move and live in DR like I am currently in the U.S. I was hoping to find a nice 2-3 bedrooms to start off with around 600$. another reason for my move is to save on the high rent I currently pay in the State. I do have 2 AA & a BA. I am completing my Masters in Teaching online at a university here. While I was in DR I was still able to be on vacation and still log online to complete my assignment. So I was hoping I can be able to do the same, as long as I have an International connection. I did like it over there and do plan visit again between February and March for an extended stay. I have made some local connections there and I have stayed in touch to establish relationships which I believe will help me a bite more through the transition process when I do move. I don't plan to work in within the first 6-9 months, hence using that time to get me and my girls familiarize with culture and surroundings. Yes, I used the motoconcho-LOL, my hair was flying in the wind as and I loved it. I do plan to hire a tutor or someone who is an avid user of both the English and Spanish language or private school it will be, but I definitely want them to speak Spanish within a year of living over there. I do have full coverage insurance here but I will buy insurance there through Humano or Universal. tell me more guys, but I am from Africa and the ways of the Dominican people are not so different as my people back home. Yes, Manama means tomorrow, but tomorrow is subjective, it may mean next week too. LOL

Like I said in your other thread.  Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Bob K

I need to know areas safe to move to. any suggestion (s)?

Answered your other thread. Maybe you could combine both threads as the questions are the same.

Bob K

Wow, where to start.... first I will welcome you to the site!  First thing: please do not take motoconchos! You would be shocked to know how many people die every year on them!! What is your life and limbs worth

do you have enough money saved to see you through 6 to 12 months? Do you know how much much private schooling will cost?

Yes, you can find a decent  place for $600. The best way to find a place is by walking.g neighborhoods when you are here or with a good taxi. There are many good areas in Puerto Plata. If it was me, I would first want to look at areas near the school I want to send the kids to.

Read as many of the threads as possible, then come back with more specific questions.

I assume in the other thread Bob suggested you come back for a long visit.... good advice.

Thank you all so much. Since I never checked out the school system while I was there, I have no clue about how much it will cost me to send my 3 girls to school out there. I must admit that they are excited about the anticipation to learn a new language and explore a whole different world as I prepare them for this big move in the future. I will stay away from the Motoconchos next time, LOL. I saw so many of them in the streets, hence assumed it was the norm for all. Can you guys give me some clues on how much it will/may cost me to send my 3 girls to school there? just a rough estimate to plan into my budget. I appreciate the input. it will definitely help me plan accordingly!

We send our two "adopted" daughters to a private school. It is a Dominican school so only Dominican kids and this runs us about $150 a month for the two of them.
Private "expat" schools can run up to $500 or more a month per kid. Here is the link to the international school in Sosua which is one of the top in the area  http://www.issosua.com/

BObK

Awesome. Bob thank you again, God bless. you're giving me so much to think about. I'll definitely be there by end of February to do some more research before I pack up. I just love the relaxing atmosphere and family oriented aura I felt while I was there plus all the beautiful beaches. I love the respect and attitude of the people. I know and understand there is still wide poverty in DR, but I grew up in Africa and I honestly felt I was home...... the similarities with the food, people, and culture in general are similarly linked than the obvious differences, I can relate. My girls have been to Africa several times over and are excited each time I take them back home to visit. Planning to move to the DR I felt is much much more cost effective and very very closer to the US should we need to travel back and forth for any reason. I usually pay an average of 1500 per person to visit home coupled with a 22hrs long flight. I have been thinking to move back home for a few now until I visited the DR, it fit as an alternative... the only problem for me is not knowing the country as I do of my hometown back in Africa. I hope in due season this will be put to rest. I am checking out the school link now

Let us know what other information you need.

Bob K

Bob, I sure will. You're a great go to source for a wealth of information. much appreciated.

You are welcome.  Have a great day.
Here sunny and 85 currently

Bob K

Bob, I haven't met you yet but I like your sharing spirit. NOT on this one though. It is cold, so cold here. another reason why I want to get away. I go home to Africa in December where it's always between 85-100 degrees depending on the location. I dread going out at this time. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, hehehehe :'(

LOL  we can be mean when we rub it in....   Bob is a great guy!  I will be so bold as to warn you about who you listen to and who you ask for advice.  Being from Africa, I am not sure how culturally similar it is. Yes we have a huge problem with poverty.  It is even worse in Puerto Plata as the unemployment is so high., Remember this when people offer to "help" you!   

Housing - there are some very nice areas of Puerto Plata that you can check out. I cannot remember the names of the areas but will check on it for you. I lived 7 years on the north coast and loved it. My last apartment there was a very secure 2 bedroom and I paid less then US 200 a month for it!  I find personally I like to live around Dominicans, I feel very safe as I become part of the community!  I find the right attitude is to be respectful and friendly but firm with my bounderies. I let very very few people into my home! You need to be careful of that. 

Internet - you need to get the availability and pricing  and when you look at a place, double check you can get the internet in that location!!! Do not assume you can. Ask and verify the electricity for that location,  verify water availability.... So much is different here.  It is paradise for some and it just doesn't work for others.

Come and stay a few weeks and check it out!!! And keep asking questions!

I definitely will. thank you all so much for the input. Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2014!

Welcome Lily C.  I must say. I love that dress you are wearing in your profile photo. Who is the designer? Merry Xmas to you too.

Lily
Happy Holidays to you and your family as well.

Bob K

hello Messagewiz, it's been busy here getting my kids ready to celebrate the holidays. I finally caught a break. Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2014. I do designing also and I did always do my dresses. That profile picture is me at the Ms. West African pageantry in November, 2013!

Bob, thank you and I heart you the same. Merry Christmas & a Prosperous 2014

Once again I must say, that dress is amazing! I hope you came in first place :-) Very talented designer, If you are not doing it professionally, you should consider it. Very original and unique choice of fabric, design, and use of colors.  I used to model when I was younger and have seen many creative designs, so when I see something that catches my eye I will comment. Since this thread is about holidays, let me wish you a prosperous 2014 and lots of luck on your move to D.R.

It is a beautiful dress!  the fashion design business is growing here in the DR as well. You might want to consider that as part of your future here!

The local girls go nuts over new fashion.  In fact just this month 3 new boutique clothes stores have opened up in Sosua alone.

Bob K

thank you, I am definitely planning to move by God's grace. I value you all's opinions and hopefully will meet up one day once I move. I am too old I believe to model but I am a designer at heart. I design my clothes and for others locally. I plan on doing more creative works in 2014. It's my niche and I love the beauty/fashion business. Blessings to you and yours in 2014!

Yes Planner, you're so right & it's one of my reasons to move. Trying to be a little more flexible as there too much fashion houses floating around in the USA already. I want to be in a up-&-coming market, which will give me more room to take me further in this business. You can add me on FB to see more of my personal designs. I do them all, but again I've got to be in a place where I can dedicate more time to my work/design. Living in the states takes so much of my time as I have to work a lot to pay for EVERTHING, which is not so cheap. thanks for the advice. Blessing and a prosperous new year. (ps- once I move I hope to see you all).

Bob, those are all part of my moving. I believe America is overpopulated with all kind of fashion and local talents like mine are not appreciated fully. I need a growing market to focus and devote more time into my business and ideas. right now I am so busy working and schooling that I don't have enough of me to do what I really love. by end of 2014 latest, I plan to be outta here by Gods grace. I will be visiting again between Feb-March. thanks again for the advice, blessings!

I wish you luck and let us know when you are coming down.

Bob K

I will, it will be nice to meet up. I'll keep y'all posted!

That y'all sounds very Americanized!  LOL.  Yes please keep us posted on your progress and we can plan a meet up!

LilyC wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I am Lily. I recently went on a vacation to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata to be exact and I honestly fell in love with the city, the people, food, & all that was at my reach. I stayed at Lifestyle resort but I spent half of my trip visiting  some good and not so good neighborhoods and the local markets. I loved it and now I am considering the move but I am not so sure on where to start. I am originally from Africa so it was refreshing for me to see that some of their cultures and traditional norms were very similar to ours. Yes, I ditched all the comfort and security of my resort, hired a personal motoconcho driver so I can experience the "real Dominican lifestyle". I went by the boulevard, the city center, the justice/judicial courts, and even went clubbing at Extravanganza till 5am in the morning, & much more! The personnel at the resort did advice me not to step out because I was a tourist with little knowledge about the DR & that I'll be taking a risk all on my own. I am so glad I did because I would have felt cheated out of the wonderful experience had I succumb to the verbal fear! I am considering to move anytime after May, thus allowing my 3 girls to complete the current school year here in the US. I do plan to obtain our Resedencia so I'll be able to work legally with my degrees or start a small business. First and most important, I will like to find a nice 3 bdrms apartment or a single family home for me and my girls in a nice and safe neighborhood. Any suggestion on where to look? Thanks in advance guys :-)

Hello Lily,  :)
You have a great approach for relocation.
Your thread and your posts make me confident you will succeed at everything you will try.
The only downside to your move I see is your language abilities. Spanish is more difficult to learn, but again, you will succeed in the long run.  :D
Good luck to you.

yes Planner, Very. I tried adding you but because we have no mutual friends, I couldn't. the add friend button was not afforded. you can add me, my name is the same here. I sent you a message but you'll have to check your ""other folder".... then you can add me.

Hello John,
I appreciate the confidence in me. I feel so too. It's always tough to move to somewhere new and start all over, but had you guys not take the steps, you wouldn't be where you are today. "The bible tells me the earth is the Lord's & the fullness there off", with resounding prayers I am a strong believer that God will see us through wherever I go. I may not be a born Dominican, but I see myself as part of the human race. I care less about color so once I move, I'll thread cautiously, but I'll definitely treat it as if I am home. I am excited and steadfastly praying for God to take the wheel on this. #FAITH. happy holidays and a prosperous 2014 to you too! :-)

Bob K you mentioned that you left Lily a long response on another thread - I can't find it, but she had the same basic moving questions that I have, in prep for moving there in a year.  Can you direct me to that other response?

Thanks,
Dale

Hi Dale, welcome to the forums!!! Here is a copy and paste of Bob's long response.  There is more info all over the forums of the DR, check them out and then post your questions OR start a new thread.....   There are many helpful people here and we look forward to knowing more about you.

"Welcome to the forum Lily.  Wow a big step for you. We "retired" here to the north coast over 7 years ago. We live between Sosua and Cabarete.  For a bit of a mini escape we have stayed at lifestyles many times for long weekends. You were a bit brave using a moto for your transportation in getting about as this is  the most dangerous mode of transport here.  I am glad that you did not heed the advice of the hotel not to leave the complex. They use the fear tactic to make those that want to explore to purchase (many way overpriced) excursions.

HOWEVER before you make the move here I would suggest that you come and spend a month or two to see if the country really fits your needs and wants. Coming on a week or two vacation does not at all prepare one to move here.
Living here is way different.  Finding work is very difficult. Starting your own business is even harder.  Wages are very low and you will have a hard time making a living for  you and your three girls. 

What about education???? Public education is a joke and private schools are $$$.  Tansportation??? Cars are very expensive to buy driving here sometimes can be classified as "nuts".

Living expenses??? Nice 3 bedroom home or condo in a secure area will run you north of $1000 a month plus electric (which is very expensive).  Food costs??? If you want the foods your are used to then plan on spending lots of money. More than at home. And on and on and on.....

Medical needs??? Finding good medical care here can be difficult sometimes.  Your home insurance is basically useless here and you will need to purchase local insurance. Better hospitals will be found in Santiago and Santo Domingo.  We actually use doctors in Santiago for our medical care, have local insurance and still maintain an international policy that gives me coverage world wide (including the US)

Language?? Are you fluent in Spanish??? If not it you may find it difficult to do what you want, especially work or starting a business.

I don't want to be all negative.  If you come and spend some time first, find that this is the place for you, then living here can be a great experience.  But please explore some before you make the leap.

Please fell free to ask any questions.  There are some good folks here on the forum with some good information for you.
So ask away.

Again welcome.

Bob K

Planner thanks for reposting that.

Bob K

Boy does time fly by.  Yesterday when in the bank my "passbook" was full and I needed a new one ( another new one).  While filling out information on the new passbook I realized that my first one was issued 10 years ago almost to the day. So we have officially have been here 10 years ( only living here full time for 8).  but wow!

So Planner we officially made contact on another board 10 years ago....

Where doe the time go.

Bob K

OMG Bob that is unbelievable.  What truly amazes me is I stay 29 this entire time!!!! 

Seriously, time seems to lose relevance here! It is flying past and I often think: how did this happen!!!!  It is almost Easter already.

Not only is Easter around the corner someone shocked me and told me it was 2014  when I was doing some paperwork the other day. I had written down 2012....Really 2014??????????????

Bob K