Moving to bahrain from lahore

Hi there, I have recently joined this website and Is a silent reader.

I am 29 from Lahore Pakistan and moving to Bahrain in first week of April.
Actually I came to Bahrain on a visit and don't know why I loved this country and luckily got a job offer from a company based in Bahrain and now coming over.

I will be interested in the expats from lahore to learn the common issues.
Secondly my company is bringing me in on a visit visa along with my wife n kid. I asked them to give me a work visa but HR is saying its our usual process to convert visit visa into work one... Still confused on this...is it a normal practice there.? Because if I do not get the visa in 3 months time then my family have to leave Bahrain. Will it be possible to get the visa converted within this time?

Moreover I asked them to let me undergo my medical from my home country but they are saying no use and you should get it done from Bahrain. Why is this so..?

I am also thinking to get a fully furnished apartment on rent in Hoora as it will be on a walking distance from my office which located in front of Arab insurance building in Manama. Will you suggest any other areas at walking distance..

Will appreciate your advices.

Many thanks
Zohaib

With regards to the work visa, yes, some companies do bring their employers to Bahrain on a visit visa and then convert their visa to a work visa, however this is not the way it should be. Most legitimate companies sort the work visa out before you come to Bahrain.

LMRA strictly says the health checks have to be done in your country, rather than in Bahrain. Even though having the medical checks here is not something which is not unheard of, it is still advised by the Bahraini government that it should be done in your country. Also, think about you bringing your entire family here and then you have some medical condition which will force you to go back to Pakistan. There is no other way around it so you better find it out in your own country rather than coming to Bahrain and finding out later.

Hoora is a nice area. You must keep your walking distance to a very short one because once it gets hot, it really does get hot and it will be unhealthy to walk more than a few minutes outside.

Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.

Thanks very much for you input

Employers getting staff down on visit visas and later having these converted to work visas is a common practice here. Both my previous employers in Bahrain did the same with me. The process of conversion is fairly straightforward if all the necessary documentation and work permits are in place.

However, I do agree that doing the medical tests while still in your home country is indeed a good idea. If your potential employers insist on doing it here, then make sure you at least get yourself checked out in your home country - it will serve as a reference for you.

Summers are hot and humid and walking to work may not be a great experience. Should be fine in the cooler winter months.

AOA Zohaib,

I am considering same situation and I also live in lahore , can you give me your cell no so that I may contact you for some guidance as my company in bahrain is going to offer me same visit with my family.

I recommend keeping all the communications on the forum and not via private messages or phone calls whenever possible because all other forum members can learn from your experiences.

I just want to clarify some thing related visa process i.e. documentation necessary for the visa etc. I think it would long discussion so I preferred mobile. Anyhow , Could you give me some insight about seef area as I am planning to get apartment in this area as this may be close to my office. My office is in Almoayeed Tower.

Thanks

family visa can be done in one week only if al paper ready plus your visa shuld be issued first in same company where you work .

passport copies both ,
birth certificate
married certificate
letter from your company
Cr copy
application

will cost you 190 BHD for 2 year

hope this info can help you

I live in Seef and I know the area quite well. I used to work at Almoayyed Tower as well. What would you like to know about Seef? I will do my best to answer.

I want an apartment near Almoayyed Tower on suitable rent. Please guide me in this regard keeping other perspective on board also.

Regards

There is Seef Lofts opposite the tower. Studio flats for about 380 BD. And if you walk around the tower, you will see lots of apartment buildings. Just walk in and ask at the reception for them to show you some flats. They will happily do that. Always negotiate the price down after knowing which flat you want.

To add to the above discussion - it is indeed a good idea to live close to where you work at least in the first few months. Useful in a number of ways. Once you settle in and get your driving license sorted out, you could think of living elsewhere.