Follow my dreams, but will it work?

Hello everyone!

I'm new here on this site, but it seems like I'm at the right place! :D

Yes, so I'm a guy from Sweden, soon 21 years old (In December) and I have recently finished my studies as chef in Sweden.

I've been in Amsterdam once and I felt "here I want to live!" almost directly! Now when the studies is finished I'm gonna give my Amsterdam dream a shot.

But, I'm still worried, afraid something might go wrong. I'm for example aware of the housing shortage in Amsterdam which might be a problem for me(?).

Here is what I'm thinking to do:
1: Travel to Amsterdam with copies of my CV:s.
2: Go around in Amsterdam and give my CV to restaurants and cafes.
3: Wait for a job opportunity.

I got so many questions, you surly understand them.

- Will it be hard for me to find a job as a fresh chef in Amsterdam?
- Where can I live while I'm looking around?
- Which part of Amsterdam should I look?
- What should I do except looking for job if I want to live in Amsterdam? Is there any department I should visit?
- How much start money might I need?

Well, I hope you get my questions and what I'm asking for! :)

Thank you for your time!

Hello Young_Swedish_Chef.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Nice presentation ;)

You may in the meantime browse the other threads on the Amsterdam Forum for better insights.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Try first so search online by job agencies.
Your first thoughts are good but I think you need more preparation before you can start.
And the best thing to do is start at home or google some restaurants online in Amsterdam, visit their websites and contact them.

Hi Young Swedish Chef,

Welcome on board to this site!

Try first so search online by job agencies.
Your first thoughts are good but I think you need more preparation before you can start.
And the best thing to do is start at home or google some restaurants online in Amsterdam, visit their websites and contact them.

Hello again!

I wanted to update you and tell you that I'm doing as you said I should Primadonna, starting from home.

I'm sending my CV+PL to all restaurants.

Still extremely hard to find a place to live.

Regards from Sweden... So far.

Hi everyone on Expat.com!

Just watned to inform everyone that my mission is going on the right way. I am in Amsterdam as I wanted, I have a job and a secured place to live, still the social bit is going slow due 6 days of working. But anyway, everything worked out well and fast for me, even if I lost many friends who had the same dream as I but didn't manage to get there, who had to travel back to their home countries,

I was forgetting this site, maybe this will help me with the social part... When I'm off work, hehe.

Regards from Amsterdam!

:top:

Thanks for you update!
And congrats to you that you are able to fulfill your dream!

Welkom in Amsterdam!!!