Incoming mail

Hello,

How would I get a package sent over from my mother in the uk? Any advice on the best ways to receive it at my home.

Also, I'm looking for a very good western hairdresser around Manama if anyone can recommend one.

Thank you.

FedEx, DHL or Post Office will do nicely. I've used them all and didn't have any problems.

Toni & Guy in Seef Mall usually employs western hairdressers.

That's great, thank you. And they will definitely deliver to my home here? I don't need to set up a PO BOX?

Yes, they will definitely deliver to your home, just make sure it is addressed clearly. Toni & Guy are very expensive for Bahrain, half head of foils and a cut are 70bd. I ended up going to la femme belle in Saar for half the price.

Brilliant. Thank you silver.
I've decided against tony and guy, I'm not fussed about the price but I could find only two reviews on them and both were bad so I'm going back to the drawing board.

The best hairdresser around is Nails and More in Saar opposite St Chris school. Lady called Lana (Russian) she listens to all your requirements and does exactly what you want, advising you all the way on how to handle the water issues here and the effects on your hair, how too much peroxide or dye can damage your hair etc. Fantastic woman!!

As for sending goods over, I use Aramex shop and ship, you get addresses all over the world and your goods arrive in a few days.  It will help your mum with the cost too as she will be sending to a local address and not an overseas one.

I used to get stuff sent to my home here but lots and lots went missing and if it's a parcel I was never informed of it's arrival etc. Google Aramex shop and ship for more info

Thanks Jo. I was trying to avoid the charges to join aramex as I probably won't have much sent here. But I had a few packages go missing in Malaysia so I definitely don't want that happening again. Maybe using dhl or a courier is best.

Charges are $40US for life. So you can continue to use the account wherever you go. I use it all the time to purchase stuff I can't get in Bahrain and it isn't expensive at all

On top of the $40, don't forget you get charged per shipment as well as the import tax - but the tax doesn't apply all the time. I have ordered many items with Shop and Ship and only got charged the import tax once.

Shop & Ship is more for your personal shopping rather than someone sending you a parcel. In fact, I don't think you can use their services for personal shipments as they are probably going to ask for an invoice of the item being shipped to you.

I've used FedEx and DHL as well and never had a problem.

Great, thanks for the replies.
It would literally only be used for personal packages so I think a courier would be easier.

Brightonguy, is the import tax based on the stated value of an item?

Yes, it is.

You can use Aramex for personal items as I do it all the time. I posted ages ago about Aramex needing an "invoice" and I sent a member a blank invoice template to fill out. At the time Brightonguy asked me if I meant Bill of Lading and I said NO I meant Invoice.

You just need to list what is in the packet, where it has come from and what it's approx value is.

If you want the template invoice PM me your email address and I will send you one, it is very simple

I've had 2 brand new laptops shipped here and 2 PS4's with no tax what-so-ever.

On a separate note, can food be sent in?

Customs law stipulates no - if planning on using Aramex shop and ship then go to their website, there is a list of what are forbidden items.

Great thanks :)

I received food once without a problem, that doesn't mean it will always come without any problem though. This is Bahrain after all :)

Hi, do you have the phone number for la femme belle? Tia

Just pop to Saar Mall and pay them a visit. Phone numbers aren't clearly listed here in Bahrain. You can try calling directory enquiries on 181

In answer to the postage question again, ensure every item posted here is sent recorded delivery. Not sure if I mentioned that earlier but it's a must

I just Googled La Femme Belle and found 3669 9198 as someone's phone number who presumably works there. I am not sure if this is their official phone number. Give it a call.

Will give them a ring.  Thanks!