Working in a resort in Management

Hi! I found these forums and they look really informative. I've done a lot of reading but have some rather specific questions.

I am 26, English, have 2 years restaurant management experience (for large, high volume, restaurant chains), and am looking at Food & Beverage Manager positions. As I have a few questions I will keep it organised:

1) Firstly the salaries look very good, at just over 40,000USD per year. Is this realistic or are the adverts I am looking at not 100% genuine?

2) My fiancé is going to be studying for her masters degree (obviously distance learning!), is it generally possible for her to come with me? Obviously regarding provided accom & meals.

3) As she is wanting time to study can she work in a resort on a more part time basis?

4) As an F&B manager what level of accommodation/food would I be looking at? Also would I likely have access to a bar (not essential), and resort activities? Diving/restaurants etc.

5) It would be nice to spend time with my fiancé! How many hours would my typical working day/week consist of?

I know I could get a lot of this information from a potential employer but I would like to go into an application knowing what to expect.

Also I appreciate some people are saying living in a resort is really boring, but we are very happy with our own company, aren't looking for much to do (would be happy with snorkeling/occassional activities, spare time is time to study) and I guess the resort would have the internet?

Thank you for your time reading, I would appreciate any insight on just a couple of these questions, so don't worry if you aren't sure on all of them.

Chris

hey Chris,

I dont myself work in a resort but live here as spouse si will try to answer somw of your questions, based on what I see happening here!

salary seems realistic - in our resort on a f&b manager position this is what you have access to: own room (I am the only spouse in our resort, but I know lots of resorts where it's not the case!) - the issue  with your fiance is probably more the title, as in she is not your wife... I am not sure you will be able to get a residency for her if not married - but you have to check this I am not sure! all water sports, inc diving (except padi or other certificate you obviously have to pay) . you would be full maintenance so no expenses (food, drinks(check for alcohol dont know - but should be) - clothes washed, appartment cleaned. if you can bring your fiance same for her. for the work it is something you have to ask for, but then she would have a seperate work permit...
my husband works 6 days a week, is gone at 8am, if lucky we have dinner at 9:30pm... so I see him, but not a lot lol - and yes we do have internet ;) just not the best of the best!
have a look at my blog if you want to see some pics, dont  know if I can post it here, but the link is on my profile.
if you have any questions you can always pm me!

julie

Hi Chris

To agree with the last post - it's doubtful whether your fiance could live with you (you need married status) but she may be able to secure a job (though doubtful whether it could be p/t) and live with another staff member.
Management work very long hours so you wopuld'nt see each other that much.
Boring is a matter of perspective.....if you like 'simple pleasures ' of nature then it will never be boring - what price can you put on an amazing Maldivian sunset & the marine life?
Salaries are good, nothing to spend themoney on either, so great for saving.
It's a restricted life and a 6day/night wk that's the only downside and something you should be aware of. Some Westerners can't cope with living on an island.
Enjoy!!