Would really appreciate any Advice

Hi there,

This is Glen from Toronto, would appreciate any advice from your forum regarding retiring to Beliz. This place i am interested in at this time is Ambergis key but would appreciate any advice on this or is ther another area more recommended than this would to be in the vicinity of Ex pats.

Thanks for your advice looking forward to further correspondence

Hi Glen,

Please note that your post is now on the Beliz Forum for better visibility and more interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Glen. I used to go to Ambergris, but honestly, it just sort of exploded and lost much of its attractiveness (to me, at least). So, I asked around about trying to find a place in BZ that still had the laid-back, slow feel that Ambergris used to have. Folks pointed me to Placencia, which I tried and liked. I have since purchased property there and built a home. And very happy that I did. So, check out the southern part of BZ as well. My neighbors are French, American, Canadian, a couple from the U.K., and yes, a few native-born Belizeans. So, before you invest in Ambergris, checkout some locations in the Stann Creek and Toledo districts. Best. KFerris

Just purchased a condo on ambergris caye.  We love the area, the people, the beach...
Purchased just on the edge of town so we have access to restaurants, beach, shops, but far enough out where its peaceful too!

Worked with sunrise reality. (Becky).  Great people to work with, would highly recommend them!

I have no idea what belize is like other than tropical.     I spend half the year in British Columbia and half in Mazatlan.      I like the Mexican people but my Spanish is not good enough.   So my husband suggested Belize.   How does it compare with mex.    Here we have a condo on the beach and close to everything.   We are getting on in age and it is important to have everything especially medical services nearby.
As I said we are getting too old to go back and forth and will soon have to decide on one place.    Our children are on opposite ends of the world   same with most relatives still living.    So anywhere we go,  we will have to make a newlife for ourselves.     A  place that has facilities for aging expats   because if we make this move,  it will be the last for me

Dear PS. There are a wide variety of condos on the beach in Belize, the official language is English, and you can drink the water--so BZ has got all of those bases covered as compared to Mexico. The biggest issue of those that you mentioned in your post is healthcare. Most ex-pats that I know (and me as well) go somewhere else for medical care. Most of the healthcare providers that I have met in BZ are educated in Cuba, and while I believe that they are well trained, I don't think that they are required to do multiple years of interning and residency. Working in BZ effectively amounts to their internship and residency.

The other issue here is emergency medicine. There are no "urgent care" facilities (at least in southern BZ where I live), nor are there any ambulances to get you to a local clinic if needed. If there is a traffic accident, for instance, the best that you can hope for is that some kind soul will put you into the back of their pick-up and take you to the nearest hospital. The good news on this issue is that we are all concerned about the lack of existing urgent care facilities and we are striving to find solutions. I just hope that we do so before I need it!!

Fabulous, thanks for the tip!

We had an incident about 2 weeks ago. I had to fly  my wife (with a broken and dislocated ankle) to Belize city..
She got treated at Health care partners in Belize city. Both Surgeon and Anesthesiologists were excellent and caring.(I am an anesthesiologist)
I understand the other private institution is just as good.
May be this will give you some comfort.
It is true ambulance service is not up to par as in US. Emergency care may be slow.
But I believe in few years these problems may be a distant memory. At least I hope it will be.
When you are in Belize additional caution in everything you do may be prudent.