Moving back to Tanzania

Hi everyone,

I have been abroad for the last 11 years but now I am thinking of going back home for good:)the problem is all my friends are either married with kids and don't seem to be around anymore, some have left the country and all.

I am looking to make new friends my question is how do you make friends in Tanzania? the friends I had are the ones I grew up with.

I have friends from all over the world,I like all sorts of things from restaurants,clubs,cinema,volleyball, pubs,travelling, running, golf and swimming to say the least. I am easy going and always up for a laugh.

If you are looking to make friends to hang out with give me a shout :) Cheers!

Michaela.

Nzuri sana. Habari za mchana? Unahamia wapi?

Hello and welcome on the forum Michaella!

I hope you will make many contacts on the forum.

Hi Ndege. Can you please write in English so that all members can understand?

Regards
Armand

Hi Ndege, moving to Dar-es-salaam.

Heeey Michaella!

Im kinda in the same boat as you are, I have been living abroad for the past 6 years and last year i got the chance to finally visit Dar after 5 years of not being there! I always assumed that all my friends and I would pick off where we'd left but i was greatly mistaken ... as you say, people move on...and besides im also a different person.

I was in Dar for almost three months last summer and the funny thing is that I made new friends REALLY FAST! And i wasnt even looking out for it! I think the thing about Dar is not HOW to make friends - cause believe me you will make tones of them - but how to make GOOD FRIENDS! It isnt like living abroad where it takes ages to KNOW people but atleast you KNOW them...in Bongo everything happens really quickly and people are soooo friendly...so just watch out, some choose your friends carefully when you go back.

Um, about where to hang out - there are so many places you could go! So many nice restaurants, bars, expat clubs, cinema, MALLS are a big thing nowadays, the BEACH!!!!, and the thing I found is that you can choose places according to WHO goes where, like some people ONLY hang out at expat areas, whereas others like a mix of expats and locals...depends on you really...You can do pretty much alot of what you can normally do abroad...I m a big Jesusfreak so I went to this really cool church at the nyerere cinama, so many expats and locals too and services in english and stuff so i made tones of friends from there....

Theres this website my brother and i used to go to on to check whats happening in dar but i cant find it..urgh...if i do i shall holla at you!

BUT YA, take heart, Bongo is SO MUCH fun and im sure you ll make friends in a heart beat! ENJOY!

Lily:D

Hi Lily,

Thanks for taking time to reply, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a mil... yeah apparently things have changed quite a lot, there's a lot of chinese people too so I hear :)next to mmachinga doing more or less the same business and some of them even speak kiswahili that's just wow!!! to me..

Well I am looking forward to the sunshine and the beaches especially a trip to Zanzibar, hopefully climb Mt Kilimanjaro too, haven't done it :( actually there's so much I haven't done and I just can't wait to do them all, coming from Ireland myself I heard there's an Irish pub, is it any good??

Thanks for warning me about being carefull on choosing friends.
Sure do buzz me if you come accross the website and if you are ever in bongo again do give me a shout...

Take care and thanks again,

Michaela x

hi michaella
you sure have to visit Tanzania and see how terrific it is nowadays,if you will get there do not forget 2 go Arusha national park.!

Thanks Keyoo, looking forward :)

hi there!
Ok so i finally got it

http://www.my-dar.com/index.php?option= … &Itemid=19

some of the tabs dont work bt the important ones do. thehe.

ya, alot has changed! definately not the tanzania i left behind!
Hey i went to zanzibar last year for the first time! its really amazing!!! And climbing the kili is also on my to do list! eek! im so excited about going back, i really wanna travel within tz - like not just to the usuals but like other no so popular desinations...like mwanza or lake nyasi in the south or the falls in mbeya...dunno...shall see once im back.

I hear ALOT about irish pub, seems like all the rich kids hang out there...they say its nice, ive never been myself. I should definately try it out when im back there! so much to do ^^

Ya definately, im hoping to be in Bongo, latest this october. Im gonna try and start life there (lol). Shall see how that goes. So definately give me a shout, email me or something. I can inbox you my email if you like.

Lily

Hi there, I am a cuban -canadian citizen that is going to live in Dar for the first time, i will work in healthcare, starting sept or oct.
Your question help me a lot cause I am much like you, and you got so many nice answers about what to do and how to make new friends!!!
Hope we can meet!
Reagards,

Justo
Montreal.

Hi lily, thanks for the link, yeah please do email me your contacts - you sound like a fun person to be around :)

I am not set yet a lot of planning to do so on the process but it's all so exciting, I just can't wait....so much to do so little time...

Justo, yeah I am delighted with the answers... great stuff atleast now you have some idea of how Dar is and all, and sure do give me a shout when you arrive can meet up no worries!

where in canada are you from? I just came from Vancouver!! my sis was in Cuba... never been... she absolutely loved it, funny coz she told me Cuba reminded her of Tanzania in some ways! well other than the vintage cars! she cried her tears out when she was there cause it reminded her of home!! funny world we are living aahh..

my name is andule from tanzania your most welcome and i will be your friend.

Hey Michaella,

I can a friend:) I'm relatively new to Dar and also looking to make friends!!!

Svetlana

You are welcome. I am in Tanzania based in Dar es Salaam.

Hi there,
I have been abroad for 16 years, I'm planning to relocate back to Tanzania. Could we link up?

hi yah sure we can, please email me directly in [email protected]

HI Friend..are you still in Dar Es Salaam?

Hey how are you :) I live in Dar but got kids ;) how old are you? by the way Karibu Tanzania :cheers:

Hi Namlat,

I hope you're adjusting well to being back from South Africa. I also spent a solid amount of years in South Africa and it's refreshing to see house music being so popular here. Feel free to get in touch.

Liz