Desperately needing help to look for accomodation in Lusaka

Really hope some lovely people there can help us. We are trying to find somewhere to live in Lusaka, somewhere, clean, modern and safe. I'm in n Ireland and prefer to move with my nine year old son when we have a proper place. I've been to too many countries before where we have had to move several times.... It's too tiring and I end up doing the hard work as my husband is working. He's out in Lusaka but can't find a place for us. Helppppppp. Cheers

Hi PEDER,

Please feel free to post an advert in the Housing in Lusaka section with details of what you are looking for, this might be of great help. Thank you! ;)

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Agh Bless David, so very kind of you

Hi Peder

This is Oscar, also expat arrived in October. I know how difficult finding a house from the distance can be. If you tell me more or less where your husband workplace is, I could give you an idea where to look for.

We live in Kalundu, which is a very nice area. Other areas close by to consider are Rhodes Park, Ridgeway, Kabulonga, Roma. Olympia Park has nice houses and is relatively close to the main shopping mall (Manda Hill) but the roads in that area are very bad. In Ridgeway you find the International School of Lusaka.

Towards the South there is an upcoming area, with more spacious houses and plots, but it is quite far from the city center. However, many people like to live there. We were considering it, but it was far away from the school we chose for our kids (International School of Lusaka). The Southern areas I remember are Makeni and Lilayi. In the South you have the Baobab College, international school that follows the British System (IGCSE). This school is among the best in the country, together International School of Lusaka and the American International School of Lusaka.

Towards the East you have Ibex Hill and Leopard's Hill, but is going away from the city center and, if your husband's working place is in the centre of town, then he will spend half of his life in traffic (btw, traffic in Lusaka is a terrible problem that you have to consider very seriously when choosing where to live). In this area you find the American International School.

In terms of Schools (another factor to make a choice when having kids), the International School of Lusaka (ISL) (our school) follows the international baccalaureate (IB) system in primary early years and in Secondary school and the kids do two extra years to write the IGCSE exams, so at the end they have two diplomas. The American International School has the three stages of the IB system, but they do not write the IGCSE. They are the most expensive school in Lusaka (double than the ISL), but the facilities are top notch. The children of American diplomats have priority. Then, Baobab School is VERY British, and they follow the IGCSE system. It is a school in a more traditional style.

OK, hope it helped.

Let me know if you need more help. Do not hesitate in contact me

Cheers for now

OScar

Hi Peder,

Have you had any luck finding accommodation yet? 

I have been in Lusaka nearly 2 years now and as Oscar mentioned in his reply, the factors to consider when looking for where to stay are:  the school that your son will be enrolled at and your husbands work place.  This will really help narrow down your search.

For your general info, send an email to [email protected] and ask to subscribe to their newsletter which is full of all sorts of info, goods for sale, staff for your home and what's going on in Lusaka etc.

I have, very recently, helped a new family (my husbands colleague) find a home, so I hope I can help.

Ren.

Oscar
Thank you so much for your information, I really appreciate your help. my son and I are actually going to Lusaka on 27th, next Thursday for a one month stay. I want to decide if we could possibly spend time living there and I will check Bao Bab college as we are used to the British curriculum. My husband left for Capetown on Sat but will of course be in Lusaka for our arrival. my email is [email protected]. It would be nice to keep in touch, if you hear a wee woman with a mad Irish accent looking a bit lost....its only meeeeeee. indeed we are staying at a temporary location on the South side I believe.
regards to your family
Phyllis Andreasen
Peder is my husbands name, hes Danish

Hi Ren
Thanks so much for your reply. My son and I are heading to Zambia on March 27 for one month to check if we could live there, and also we can enjoy holiday time. As I said to Oscar, if you hear a mad Irish voice, its only me. I will subscribe also to that mail you gave me, so appreciate your help. Maybe I can even meet you sometime. [email protected]
Don't want to bombard you with questions but feel good having your contact. means a lot
regards
PHYLLIS X

Hi Phyllis,

I have sent you an email with contact info. 

See you soon.

Ren.