Make expat-blog.com invitation based or a community moderated system?

As an effort to ward off creeps or people who think that this is a dating site I think it would be awesome if we could implement some sort of an invitation where members can join if they are referred or they have to answer some questions and then maybe a moderator can review them before granting them access to join? It won't stop them but maybe if they actually have to put some thought into joining then wait for approval it may help?

Ribosom has had a great idea about having a community moderated system where members can vote on posts? I'm assuming a thumb ups and thumb downs system and if they have say 5 thumb down their post gets hidden or deleted? He might be able to elaborate more on his idea. Justfedup also had some great ideas.

To be complete honest I am not sure how to go about implementing any of these ideas but I've seen them on other sites (mostly pop up sales haha) so I know they're possible :)

Hi Tina,

Have you actually been a member of any "invitation only" social networks for expats? I have and I soon cancelled my membership to them. While it may sound good in principle, from my own observation they tend to become quite elitist and unless you know somebody much higher up the food chain you really don't count.

Membership based on invitation also is no iron clad guarantee that members still aren't going to get bombarded with unsolicited private messages seeking personal relationships, dates, marriage offers for the purpose of obtaining a visa and the like. I've even received them on other sites. Men aren't immune from those kind of messages, we just don't get them as frequently as female members do. Even on "invitation only" sites one still has to report the offending messages before action can be taken, so I really see no difference here. Once a posting or private message is reported (for whatever reason) Expat-blog Team takes action quickly. Members seeking relationships are banned quite quickly and usually their IP address also gets blocked so they can't come back.

So, while your idea is a good one; and nobody is putting it down there are a number of valid reasons that Expat-blog has chosen a different route. The primary reason for not being an "invitation only" site is to be able to provide the maximum number of people with the information they most need and they can't access on other sites, because they can't join without being invited.

NOTE: Anyone who receives unsolicited, annoying or offensive private messages or who finds a particular posting offensive should report it. You can be assured that the appropriate action will be taken without delay.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for the quick response! It was just a suggestion, I am on a invitation only social network too and yes I still do receive unsolicited PMs too but it's significant less than what I receive here. I now understand why expat-blog has chosen this route but coming from a female's POV I do get a bit put off when I come here for help or advice but instead get bombarded with unwanted advances. You are right that the team here does do an awesome job :)

Report unwanted sexual/dodgy business advances to the mod team.

Such things commonly result in the offending party getting banned.

I think it would be hard to have this site invitation only since we do get people from all corners of the world, and they may have no way to know anyone already on the site.

IME, the admins are pretty quick to handle situatins where new members are posting or sending inappropriate messages. Report and explain the issue and usually within a day, the offending poster is banned.

tinataitlyn wrote:

As an effort to ward off creeps or people who think that this is a dating site I think it would be awesome if we could implement some sort of an invitation where members can join if they are referred or they have to answer some questions and then maybe a moderator can review them before granting them access to join? It won't stop them but maybe if they actually have to put some thought into joining then wait for approval it may help?

Ribosom has had a great idea about having a community moderated system where members can vote on posts? I'm assuming a thumb ups and thumb downs system and if they have say 5 thumb down their post gets hidden or deleted? He might be able to elaborate more on his idea. Justfedup also had some great ideas.

To be complete honest I am not sure how to go about implementing any of these ideas but I've seen them on other sites (mostly pop up sales haha) so I know they're possible :)

Hello Tina, :)

Thank you for showing interest on improving this web site.

Another idea would be to have a password-protected area where forummers can meet truly like-minded individuals, persons of above average quality, and where seeing a good member profile and conversing with a member with a nice picture (not avatar  :o ) is guaranteed.

I would not mind paying US$1 -2  / month to subscribe to such forum area where I could find
somebody with whom I can have an intelligent discussion at anytime.

A high member fee would most likely kill this idea, and a low fee will help differentiate between the serious forummers here and the freeloader goofs of which, as you too see, there is no shortage.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR