Spouse visa

hi  everyone :D my  fiancée is a  south African im in and out  s/a all the time     I just  want  to settle  down there   can some one tell me  what is the  best   visa  I could  apply for  as  my minds  all over the  place  eny  help  would be  appresiated  thanks  (phil)  p.s  sorry about my spelling  see  you in  3  weeks  capetown :D

The best way to do it is applying for a relatives permit. We applied for one for my wife in Jan 2013 and got the permit valid for 2 years in March 2013. However, a relative does not allow you to work, it soley for living legaly in South Africa with a South African spouse or family member.

If you do want to work you would need to apply for a work permit, however you can only apply for a work permit if you have a job offer from a company in South Africa and a have host of other paperwork.

Hope it helps.

Tonyrfsa is correct, a Relative's Permit will do the trick.

can  you plz  tell me  all the  documents  and papper  work I  will need to  apply ive seen so meany things I don't  no were I am   thanks again (phil) im over there on the   2nd of  march so   need to get  as much togeather as possible.

thanks for  ur help  everyone :)

Hi Phil! You can email me at [email protected]. I have been in South Africa for 5 years now and am from America. They are incorrect in saying that you cannot work on a Relatives Permit. I have a spousal permit and work full time, pay taxes and UIF! It all comes down to how you file!

When you come in March you can come on your 90 day visitors visa. This will give you time to get all of the necessary paperwork you need together. You must apply for the spousal permit 30 days before your visitors visa expires! If then your spousal permit is not finalized before your visitors visa ends, you will still be legal in the country as you have valid proof of having applied for your new visa!

I'm sure by now you know things can be quite confusing in South Africa. Honestly, I've had my ups and downs with Home Affairs but I'd gladly send you a detailed list of absolutely everything you will (or may possibly) need. Which province is your wife staying in? This makes a huge difference in applying for your visa.

The requirements I needed when living in Durban area differed greatly from that which the Limpopo Home Affairs requested!

Please, please email me and I will begin walking you through everything! I have worked since I arrived in South Africa! I've never been without a job nor have I had any problems with Home Affairs. There is a contingency that you apply for when filing your spousal visa that gives you the permissions to work!

I will give you more detail about all of it when you email me!

I hope I can be of help! I know how it is wanting to be with your spouse!

@ShanaMom and @philmatank:

They are incorrect in saying that you cannot work on a Relatives Permit. I have a spousal permit and work full time, pay taxes and UIF! It all comes down to how you file!

You may definitely NOT work on a Relative's Permit. Your permit type changed when you were issued your work endorsement on your Spousal permit.

When you come in March you can come on your 90 day visitors visa. This will give you time to get all of the necessary paperwork you need together.

True for now, but once the new immigration regulations are published, expected very soon, it is almost certain that you will have to return to the UK to lodge a change in permit/apply for a new one. I would be careful here and perhaps apply in the UK to be safe.

Lastly, philmatank cannot apply for a Relative's Permit - Spousal as he is not married, so a Relative's Permit - Life Partner would probably do for now.

Hope this clears things up.

thanks so much  shana. ur a  god send  im going to  e  mail  you right  away   thanks  ever  so much. :D uve made my day

No....my permit still clearly states that I have a temporary relatives visa with conditions to work. I've filed 7 of these in the last 5 years! If I change jobs....I file a new one! Each time I fill out a relatives visa application or change of conditions to a relatives visa!

And yes you are correct in the classification of which relatives permit he will apply for....application process remains the same....

Once regulations change that is a different story but he is expected to arrive in the next few weeks there is no reason to prolong assistance to him applying in the UK.

It is difficult enough to follow the entire process as every province I've stayed in requests different paperwork and information! If he already has a trip planned, he can work on the visa while in the country!

Dear ShanaMom, here is some text copied form the Immigration Act. Please note the part in bold. you may think or read that you have a Relative's Permit, but in order for you to work the type changes.

Relative's permit
18. (1) A relative's permit may be issued by the Department to a foreigner who is a member of the immediate family of a citizen or a resident, provided that such citizen or resident provides the prescribed financial assurance,
(a)    certified by a chartered accountant, or, at the applicant's option, (b) to be corroborated by relevant documentation to be evaluated by the Department that he or she has the means available to support such foreigner
for the requested duration of such permit, either personally or through the contribution of such foreigner.
(2) The holder of a relative's permit may not conduct work.

ShanaMom I want to travel to South Africa and get married with my boyfriend. I'm mexican but confused about spouse visa. Who should ask for it or what r the requirements? Because I asked information about getting a visa and they gave me other form that doesn't mention spouse visa. Plz help!!!!!

To apply for a Spousal Visa, which is a type of Relative's Visa, you must actually already be married. If you enter South Africa on a "tourist visa" and then marry, you will have to return to Mexico to then apply for a Spousal Visa.

Ohh I c n understand now thanks a lot !!

You say she has to return to Mexico...but I did not have to do that. I entered on a visitors visa...married and switched over to a temporary residence permit.

Yes, ShanaMom, that was possible before. But with the new immigration regulations it is not, unless you have entered on a port-of-entry visa.

re-posted here NEW LAWS VS. INTENDED MARRIAGE AND RESIDENCY