Anyone has calculated precisely the cost of heating with AirCo

Hi all,

I've read some interesting topics and articles about how to heat a place in winter.
Of course, it all depends on the size, location, type of the place.

I have one of those Gas heater with yellow bottles but I hate it.
It smells weird, it sucks oxygen, probably makes the place more humid and the bottle has to be changed every 120 hours.

I live in a penthouse, 4th level, modern building, have two bedrooms + living room with build in Air Conditioning.
I know that most of you will say that it is insane to use it in winter  :D
And you are probably right.  :cool:

That said, is any of you using that and have evaluate the monthly cost in February or March?

Many thanks for your time.
Cheers
Stephane

We regularly use our aircon in winter in our kitchen and bedroom, works out about €50 a month extra in electric but we save on gas bottles. Also our units have dehumidify setting so keeps the air dry making the room feel warmer.
Gas heaters pump out a tremendous amount of water vapour  and will increase the risk of mould forming.

Terry

Thanks Terry.
That is what I thought.
Increase the humidity doesn't sound a good idea in Malta!

I've read an article saying that 2 people would consume 10 units a day and an extra 5-7 for air conditioning.
According to this it's a total of around 97€ a month in electricity (1.171/year at the current ena rates).

Same, for water, although I think it's a little exaggerated, 2 people = 180 liters a DAY!
And that seems to sum at 140€ a year.

In the end, to have all the benefits of Malta's great weather without having to suffer from the counterparts seems to end up at 111€ a month. I hope I want have a bad surprise though, but I doubt.
I can live with that.  :proud

The newer the aircon units are the less energy they will consume.
We also use ours in the summer , sometimes all night in the bedroom.
Its bliss after a really hot day!

Terry

stephanevan wrote:

Same, for water, although I think it's a little exaggerated, 2 people = 180 liters a DAY!

around 100 litres of water a day per person seems to be the norm - just flushing the toilet can be 5-10 litres

rememeber also that when you use AC you will without doubt exceed the eco allowances thresholds and thus the atcual rate per unit will increase so any savings you have made in the year will be lost permanentyy for that eco year - thus if you were below the thresholds then the rate per unit would start at 16/17c but if you exceed it - all the units used including previously lowewr cost units used and charged will then be charged at the higher rate of 21/22c per unit

georgeingozo wrote:
stephanevan wrote:

around 100 litres of water a day per person seems to be the norm - just flushing the toilet can be 5-10 litres

Yes, you are probably right

toonarmy9752 wrote:

rememeber also that when you use AC you will without doubt exceed the eco allowances thresholds and thus the atcual rate per unit will increase so any savings you have made in the year will be lost permanentyy for that eco year - thus if you were below the thresholds then the rate per unit would start at 16/17c but if you exceed it - all the units used including previously lowewr cost units used and charged will then be charged at the higher rate of 21/22c per unit

Hmmm, that is interesting indeed.

There are two tariffs here http://www.enemalta.com.mt/index.aspx?c … t=5&art1=9
Which one should I consider?
The residential or the Domestic.
My flat is a lease of 6 months, so I doubt I'm entering any kind of resident plan.
I'm just here as a visitor.
If it is the Domestic tariff it's indeed much more than the Residential per units..,

if you are not officially resident you will be on the higher tariff

toonarmy9752 wrote:

rememeber also that when you use AC you will without doubt exceed the eco allowances thresholds

which shows how ludicrous the system is - its supposed to be about being green, but only applies to electricity consumption, not gas consumption, and yet the power station is being converted to gas

10 years ago, the cheapest for heating was kerosine, but that was stopped as bus drivers were using it for fuel. Then it was gas as gas bottles were subsidised, then that was stopped. Now its electricity. What next ?

but then petrol diesel and gas are all the same price to everyone  - why is it different for electricty and water - essential services.... ridiculous.

at 3 month here you need to regsiter your existence here

you can be deemed resident from day one

DOMESTIC  is considerably more expensve than residential

the whole issue is counter to the concept of being European citizen with freedom of movement and equality