How to make friends in Hessen

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Hessen :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Hessen??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I'm not sure. But i think it's not so easy to find new people here. Best place maybe Frankfurt

I'd thoroughly recommend meetup.com, totally unscary and great mix of people; but you can't fail to make friends if you're joining a German class!

I'm not familiar with the clubs in Hessen, but would agree with the above suggestions.  In addition, you could also try checking Facebook groups (that's how I found an expat dinner club in Stuttgart), googling "expats Hessen", or "international club Hessen", that's how I found an international club in Stuttgart.  If you speak some German, I would recommend joining a German club around an activity that you're interested in, i.e. football.  For me, it's not only about meeting people, but seeing the same people again so that you have the opportunity to build relationships and start making some friends.

Well I have been here since April 2010 and have only made one friend and that was by pure accident....A Canadian was standing behind me in a queue at a supermarket and overheard me speaking English to my kids, and on the way to the bus station (which is close to the supermarket) introduced herself and we took it from there. But generally if you dont go out you will not find anything.....so best to look for it. But anyway I have been told that the American Womans club of the Taunus is a great way to meet people, mingle, go out and have a bit of fun. I am just passing on what i have heard. Another small thing is that you can go to the Newcomers Fair in Frankfurt on the 26/09/2010 and well they have info on EVERYTHING....perhaps this heps someone

I've been to a couple places in Hessen during my trips here. I've been to Euro Palace (not sure where it is), a "Californian restaurant" called Citrus in Mainz, and the Irish Pub just down the street from Citrus. My boyfriend's cousin's girlfriend told me a lot of Americans and English people hang out at the Irish Pub, so if you're looking to meet people, she says it's a really good place. They had live music and the people all seemed friendly there. Worth a shot. :)