Good schools?

Bula! Our little family may be moving over, to port villa , I need some help please , can any one tell me if the international school in port villa is any good? Or can you suggest other private schools which are good, please
Thanks
Ps cost of living compared to Fiji ?

Hi Fijilivin!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi I believe the international school is quite good that is from other expats that have kids go there, I don't personally know myself, I think as in cost of living is a lot dearer than FIJI I only know that as my mum lives in FIJI the dollar is better there, maybe someone else might come on and shed some more light . Lovely people here just like FIJI really must be the island life. Housing range from 80,000 vatu to 200,000 vatu per week, meat, fruit an veg quite cheap especially veg fruit from markets, a few supermache here with lovely cheap baked bread, imported food is expensive the same as FIJI. rent for us 5 bedroom big house 130,000 vatu per month which is quite cheap compared to some other places we have seen. Hope some of this helps you in some way.

HI

Port Vila International School is excellent. I began teaching there this year after 20 years in New Zealand. I've been very excited to work with such a great bunch or truly dedicated exceptional teachers. The students are well behaved and enthusiastic learners.I wish my own children had attended a school like PVIS!

Angie

Hi.
I would love to submit my resume to the International School in Port Vila.
Could someone post their email address please.
Thank you.
Nina

Hi

You can contact Faye Taylor the principal at

[email protected]

It's a fabulous school. I teach there and I LOVE it!

angie

I can't find PVIS on map.

Do you know some street names, landmarks etc that would help me to locate PVIS with Google maps?

Teemu

I think the Google map is way out of date and possibly still has us at the old school. Look on a map for Tassariki, or Korman Stadium. We are situated between Number one and Number two lagoon a short way along from USP (University of South Pacific. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Found the area.

Hi,

We are considering the move next year and its wonderful to here positive reports on PVIS.  Can anyone tell me about Kindergartens in the PV area? And/or any Playgroups?  I noticed the Mother's Group thread mentioned a group previously, does anyone know if this is still running?

Kind Regards and Thanks in advance,

BusyMummy

PVIS has a Little Learners section for wee ones and Pikinini's for  pre-schoolers. Contact the school for details. It is a lovely group of children with fabulous, dedicated teachers.

Thanks abelcher56,

I will look into both options :)

Would love to know whether there might be vacancies for a maths, French or Japanese teacher at Pvis.. We are contemplating moving to Vanuatu and am now looking at job prospects. My husband runs a chemical and paper supplies business in Sydney and have noticed that locals in Vila are paying a fortune for these types of products...what can you advise us??

Hi busy mummy,

Can I ask what has made you choose Vanuatu?

Marie G

Hi
I came to Vanuatu purely because I made an off- the- cuff comment to someone about whether there were any jobs here and the next week I had one! I threw caution to the wind and just came.

Can't help you with any advise re your husband but suggest you contact our DP Kate Lloyd at [email protected] regarding jobs. I'm pretty sure that there is a maths job coming up next year and other subjects. French is pretty well covered.

Angie

Hi,

We holidayed in Vanuatu prior to having our children and loved it, so we've been looking for opportunities to come back.  Next year might work out for us, fingers crossed or maybe it'll be the following, but we are intending to come.

It can be tricky when considering children.  I am a piano teacher so luckily I have found it easy to pick up work and my husband has recently started his own business which is highly mobile.

Have you been to visit first?  If not, I would recommend it.  It's a lovely place and you will sleep easier knowing you're making the right choice for your family.

Wow Angie,

That was very brave of you Angie. Good on you ! I have once contacted Faye and she did say to send her my résumé. It may still be a little premature as I'm waiting for my middle child to finish her HSC. It is very exciting though.

Yes busymummy, I have been to Vila, actually many times, but the time has never been right for us, children and work commitments as well.

Take care ladies

Marie Geraldine wrote:

My husband runs a chemical and paper supplies business in Sydney and have noticed that locals in Vila are paying a fortune for these types of products...what can you advise us??

The high prices here may be a reflection of the amount of import duty the Gov charges on those items to bring them in.  I would suggest you contact Customs (Rates and Taxes) for a list of applicable duties.

Hi BellaM,

We were thinking of doing just that. He just returned  from Vila yesterday and is on the lookout. Thank you for your advice. If rates too are too high, then we'll need to think of another business venture.

Cheers,
MarieG