HI

I am considering moving to Karachi as expat and would be interest knowing about cost of living, taxes as well as what is the best area to live and how to find a reasonable accomodation?
How about transportation. I hear it is not a good idea to have a new car. how is the cost to have driver and house keeper?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
SAM007

Well if you can handle Karachi's traffic then go for a car otherwise i recommend a driver if you can afford one, make sure he comes highly recommended, stay alert there , dont go to places you dont know about. Buying a new car is not a good idea but it depends where you live and how frequently you move about. Housekeeper will come around 3000 rupees a month , driver may be 5000 if you keep him full time.

P.S. Buy a non descript used car that blends into the normal traffic. For example a Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic. Avoid glossy cars that attract attention.

Sam,

There are many expats living in Pakistan in general and Karachi in particular.

karachi is a city of over 10 million people so it is bound to have crime associated with the urban sprawl.

If you are coming as an employee of a multinational (I am sure), you will be provided all the required assistance as well as security guards at your residence.

House, Car, driver, maid, gardener, helpers etc are all part of the expat perks package usually given.

You should get a house with it's own standby power generator as power failures are frequent and prolonged in summers.

Defence Housing Society / Clifton / KDA-1 are the main residential areas for expats.

Anything and everything is available in Karachi from brand names to third generation fakes.

I am sure you will have an interesting time in Pakistan.

Drop me a message if you require information on anything in particular.

Nearly Everything mentioned! i dont think i need to add something particular to very subject discussed earlier, but not contrary to the context is the behaviour of the people, espacially when some western expats come here with the dizzy mind about the perplexed political situation of the country, there is not really all that fuss, as has been depicted, the people mostly they are so cool, you really live to be in  there, security is important but otherwise time is worth in this socity

i mean the people love to help you on your way, if you try to mix up with them (with open eyes and mind), they will do everything for you, do not try to look alien to the commons, they will be sincere to you, but if you come, i am sure sooner get to know how to deal with the different people, like you may say the classes of the people

sorry to disappointing, but brotherly suggesting you,  better don't move to Pakistan. especially Karachi.

What is so wrong with living in Karachi? My son and I are planning on moving there this summer to be with my husband. I just want to know your honest opinion about it please.

Thank You
Rebecca Khan

rkhan32 wrote:

What is so wrong with living in Karachi? My son and I are planning on moving there this summer to be with my husband. I just want to know your honest opinion about it please.

Thank You
Rebecca Khan

you are most welcome...