Tips to find a job in Infonesia

Selamat Malam..!

I'm Iriani, 33 y.o, my mum is Javanese (french citizenship) and my Dad is French.
I have travelled several times in Indonesia, especially in Java, most of my family live up there.
I'm fond of the country, the culture, the locals, the food... well, everything !
I m living now in France but I m trying to find the best way to try a new professional experience, I'm really motivated and want to do the best for this adventure.

I have a Tourism & Marketing, 11 years experience in Tourism industry. I did many positons as Travel Agent, Guide tour,  Travel consultant for groups, Guest relation, Tour Operator agent, 50 Rooms Hotel manager.
I m looking for a position as a manager or assistant manager  for hotels, or residence...I can study any proposal.
I m able to speak English and French.  I can manage German, Italian ans Spanish guest either.

i have dual citizenship French/Australian.
I woulb be interested on teaching French or English too.

Can you give me more details on the job market in Jakarta , Surabaya ..does Tourism or Teaching requested professional area ?
What about the Visa ?

than you !
IRIANI

Hi Iriani,

Welcome to Expat.com and good luck with your job search. Hotel Manager jobs usually go to locals unless you are working for a large hotel chain. Even the Accor Group mostly employ local well qualified Indonesians up to Front Desk Manager positions and sometimes foreigners as General Managers. I don't know about teaching English or French (these Forums tend to attract quite a few English teachers who might be able offer you advice) but these days a teaching certificate is probably required. Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike
thanks for your reply, you are right, I know that these kind of jobs are for locals, that's normal. I saw advertises on Accor, they mention Local people in priority too.
I m gonna try on another way, having his own business seems to be the best way. Now I must thinking about WHICH one ??
Thanks again
Regards,
Iriani

To teach English, you must be a native English speaker from one of a very short list of countries.
Well, that's the rule if you want to be legal.

Thank you Fred, yes I saw the list, 5 countries US, AUS, NZ, CAN, UK
I m native from Australia, but I ve never lived there more than 2 years...
Are you living in Indonesia ?
Regards,
Iriani

I think Bali would be the best option for you, since you're already highly experienced in tourism industry and Bali being indonesia's tourism hotspot.

If you are a native of Australia and an Australian Passport then you will find teaching jobs here very quickly.

Yup it is always good to do your own business and Indonesia has lots and lots of products that can be exported overseas. The easy thing about exporting Indonesian products is that there are so many small manufacturers and suppliers so you can start small and build up your business.

"I think Bali would be the best option for you, since you're already highly experienced in tourism industry and Bali being indonesia's tourism hotspot."

Jobs for foreigners in the tourism industry are impossible.  There are plenty of qualified Balinese available for those positions. 

Qualified native English speakers can seek out teaching job here in Bali, otherwise in just about any other field it's "jobs first for Indonesians" as far as Bali is concerned.

Aussie31 wrote:

Thank you Fred, yes I saw the list, 5 countries US, AUS, NZ, CAN, UK
I m native from Australia, but I ve never lived there more than 2 years...
Are you living in Indonesia ?
Regards,
Iriani

Yes, I'm just outside Jakarta.
If you have an Australian passport, it should be fairly easy to find work, more so if you have a degree and teaching certificate.
If you're willing to live the quiet life and care little for 'things', you could probably work at one of the language mills.
The hours tend to be long and the salary...well, but you'd probably find a job in an hour.

Hi Iriani, this advise might sound a little harsh, but coming here chasing work will be very challenging.

The majority of expats who work here are usually transferred and sponored by the expat companies they work for in their own country. That aside, you really need to be able to demonstrate special skills, education (often a Masters degree) and experience over and above what the under or unemployed 40 million Indonesians who would like any job posses!

At the end of the day the department of manpower decides on whether we get a Kitas to work here, not the employer. Good luck.