Need advice on the legal aspects of living in Gib but being employed

Hi, I am Barney, I work in IT for a multi-national which has managed to not have an office in Gibraltar!

I am hoping to move over but need advice on the legal aspects of living in Gib but being employed in the UK.

My Family and I have visited Gib a number of times and love it there.  We would be there tomorrow if we could! 

Cheers
Barney

Hi Barney,

A new topic has been created from your post on the Gibraltar forum for better interaction.

I suggest you to visit the link below where you might find some more information:

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/

Regards,

David.

Just live here, don't register anywhere and work from home and no one will ever know :)   

OK so this isn't exactly how Gib would like it, but you wont go prematurely grey, be driven to drink by the forms and confusion and in a years time you will have a good idea if you like this place or not and can consider your options for the transition.   

Please note that I am not advocating illegal activity just self preservation and sanity.

Lol, I wish it were that simple!

If it were just me, i would certainly be tempted, at least initially to take this route, however I have two kids who need to go to school, so I am pretty sure i would need to be registered in some way!

Sure I understand, it is important to get the kids into the school system and to do that you need to live on the rock.  I have a meeting today with an accountant and I will bounce the question off him, I think its called something like, dual taxation, so you get paid in the UK and account for tax here as well as the UK, I don't think its as bad as it sounds, I just know how slow the wheels grind here.   Let me ask the question and get back to you :)

Fantastic!

Thanks bjb007, i look forward to hearing anything you manage to find out!

My accountant here is not flying a Gib flag at the moment, with a lack of banks his business has been hit.   He suggested you talk to UK tax office and ask them about how they will view your activity as even though you will be in Gib your works could be deemed to be for UK benefit.    Sorry I cant be of more help I am still totally baffled by procedures here after 18 months and advice here is expensive.

Hey no problem, thanks for asking!

I will give the tax office a go and report back if i hear anything useful.