Greetings - Filipinos in Joburg / Pta

Hello all,

I have just registered an account here on behalf of my Filipino wife Jessa who is arriving in South Africa in two weeks time to live here in Johannesburg, with her daughter Alyssa who has just turned 10.  Alyssa is going to Grade 4 at Scared Heart College.  They have been to visit here a few times already.

I am just trying to make some  contacts of Filipinos here in Johannesburg for her/us, is there a regular meet up place? Someone she met on the way here last visit said there is a church here that is popular meeting place.

We like the outdoor life: camping, getting around the country. I am active mountain biker and scuba diver, Alyssa is keen on these activities but her mother is bit more passive in this regard.

We would appreciate any advice as well in terms helping them adjust and settle down.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bruce  (south african guy)

Well it seems I need a few more posted before I can correspond privately with others here so ...

How have others found the Visa / Permit process? its been a nightmare for  us. SA Embassy in Manila is far from helpful,  their requirements seem random at times, and its needed extreme perseverance to succeed in even just Visitors Visas.

We eventually got all the requirements for the Spouse Temporary Residents Permit application, then, 3 visits later, we are told it takes 3 months. So with schools starting, we put in for a visitors visa, then will apply for the Temp Res Permit here. Had to get a Student Permit for Alyssa.

Best (least painful) DHA office to go to into GP anyone?

How many messages does one have to post before you can reply to personal mesasges from other users? wasted a few already ...

Hi Bruce, I don't even know how I got on this page, I was just surfing through posts after posts...

anyways, i don't think you should worry about Filipino gatherings so much, your wife and her daughter will surely find their way wherever you are...

i am sure, people from Joburg are ok, we used to work with South Africans before, and they were all nice.

just be patient with posts, somebody will respond soon.....

congratulations!.. im assuming you just got married......

Thanks, yes we are married one year already!

Its just going to be important to have some Filipino community connections, here even if its just for the occasional Tagalog chin wag :)

One of the best things about South Africa is its diversity of people.  Limiting oneself to a single nationality would be a shame.

Hi Bruce,

We are Filipino, we are here in Rivonia, Sandton.

Br,
Vic

Thanks, yes I embrace the cultural diversity fully here, and no, not want to limit who to mingle with, it just important to have some Filipino connections to ease the cultural shock for her here.

Vic, thanks, will be in touch.

Is there a Filipino restaurant in Jhb?

i dont know yet,
we have a filipino community on facebook facebook.com/groups/filcomsa/

we also want to meet some filipinos there at johannesburg

Hi christinecoba,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Maybe a few words about yourself may help the members to know you better.

Are you already in South Africa?

Thank you,

Hasnaa