Questions from an expat coming from China

Hello everyone I am an expat that has been living in China for 5 years and thinking about moving to Oman, however I have a few questions first.  (Some may seem odd if you've never been to China)

1.  I've been looking at job details and they usually include a salary of about 1000 OMR, then 250 for housing and a random allowance of some sort of 130.  My first question is, is this a good salary for teaching in Oman?  (with 5 years experience teaching in China, a BA, a TEFL and a CELTA.)

2.  How are the expat compounds?  Quality?  Gas stove?  Oven?  Large fridge?  enclosed shower? Washer and dryer or just a washer? Can you put toilet paper in the toilet or do you have to put it in a waste basket?  Also what are the conditions of public toilets?  Here they are a squat hole.

3.  What products can you find in the supermarkets?  Cereal?  Are supermarkets similar to a US supermarket?  Imported food products in China have a huge mark up, is it similar there? 

4.  About how much did you spend on your used car? 

Thanks in advance and sorry if some of my questions seem a bit odd.  I assume things here in China are quite different from there. 

5.  Sorry last question, for expats coming with their wife, how is the visa process for that?

craigd1829 wrote:

1.  I've been looking at job details and they usually include a salary of about 1000 OMR, then 250 for housing and a random allowance of some sort of 130.  My first question is, is this a good salary for teaching in Oman?  (with 5 years experience teaching in China, a BA, a TEFL and a CELTA.)

I don't know much about the salary scale for teachers in Oman but salaries here varies from a place to another, what's important is whether what you were offered is acceptable for you and cover your basic needs or not.

craigd1829 wrote:

2.  How are the expat compounds?  Quality?  Gas stove?  Oven?  Large fridge?  enclosed shower? Washer and dryer or just a washer? Can you put toilet paper in the toilet or do you have to put it in a waste basket?  Also what are the conditions of public toilets?  Here they are a squat hole.

Western/International standards are widely available over here ... Don't know much about public toilets though.

craigd1829 wrote:

3.  What products can you find in the supermarkets?  Cereal?  Are supermarkets similar to a US supermarket?  Imported food products in China have a huge mark up, is it similar there?

All products are available here. No US supermarkets around but others you will find i.e. Carrefour.

craigd1829 wrote:

4.  About how much did you spend on your used car?

Depends on your budget, the model of the used car and its condition. for US$2500 you may find a reasonable used car.

craigd1829 wrote:

5.  Sorry last question, for expats coming with their wife, how is the visa process for that?

You may browse through the forum for more info in this regard, as well as for further info of interest.

Hi! We were living in Shangai for a year and should be moving to Muscat soon. For what my husband has told me, we will miss nothing from the West, especially compared with China, so I don't think you will have any problems.

It will all depend where in Oman you are going to live, of course, I take it is on a big city.