Cost of living in Honduras

hondraschris miss our njghts out with people and friend also  do not forget the  great food at suzanna greastest  restaurant food is at suzanne by my opinion

Hello Sasha,

Since you told me that you were going to see the lawyer you never gave me any update as I asked you.
So, your house is already for sale?
It shows me that you were not very happy there!-Of course you have to say that you miss it in order to sell your house.
You don't want to disappoint people!
It always  amazes me when people duck from answering questions when this is a blog where we are supposed to share our experiences with each other.
It makes me wonder if the way that people leave Canada without the proper documentation and without even going to the Embassy on Honduras in Ottawa is the right thing to do.
If it is, why so much secrecy?
And by the way Chris, don't try to defend her.Let her speak for herself!
It amazes me that when people say good things about Roatan, here comes Chris saying that not every expat wants to live in an island, etc....like if living in Roatan  is not much better!
I understand you have a product to sell and therefore you want to promote La Ceiba Beach Club but you don't have to speak negative about other places in order to promote yours!
I still would like to challenge you to be honest and have the courage to tell me how your clients all get the investor's visa without any documentation going through the embassy  here.
Why did you change the subject when I was inquiring about the investor's status and giving me information about another option: the Rentist Visa.
Why should I apply for the Rentist Visa when I bought 2 condos?
I'm still waiting to see someone coming here with the desire to share their experience with  honesty!
If we can just take off with a simple birth certificate and a letter from the bank and take care of everything there like you mentioned before, why then not explain the whole process?
As for you Sasha, I'm sorry your dream didn't come true but I'm disappointed that you never gave me any update when I clearly asked you to let me know about your process with the lawyer.
As for me, I'm very happy that I bought 2 condos in a gated community side by side and that both have a sundeck
with the view of the mountain of of the ocean. We also have 2 parking spaces. The reason why I chose the condos is because instead of small windows we have glass doors to the balconies.
The developer treated us like family and he even made some changes(to the whole building)  in order to accommodate me.
I was asked if I wanted to turn them into just one condo with 3 bedrooms but then I thought about my children and I'm sure that they prefer to have their own condo when they go there on vacation since they will not be going at the same time.
I will not use this space here to promote any business like others have to the point where the person in charge of this blog had to reprehend them. Not that I would have anything to gain by that but just in case someone has the dream to move to Roatan and they think they can't afford!
The rich don't need help!

*I give my opinion and write what I hear from clients. You don't think clients searching for property on Roatan don't go to La Ceiba to view properties ? Or Clients that have been searching the mainland don't go to Roatan ?!? Of course they do. Roatan is beautiful. The majority of people I meet don't want the island living. I have more than a couple very wealthy clients that can purchase 1/2 of Roatan if they wanted.

*I am not a attorney
Investor status is easy. You use your home/villa/condo as a business. You start a Honduran corporation. Your property value "investment" has to be at least $50,000.00 USD. Do you actually run a business ? No unless you want to.

*Do you know how many fake users are on this forum promoting the developments they are involved in ? I am open and honest. This is why I have done so well here.

Well said. To many developers sell the sizzle and not the steak.
The old "No problema" until later when the truth surfaces.

It is a great place, but folks need to make sure they do their homework.

Talk to people who live there and get the facts from reliable sources and than make a logical decision.

Good luck to those looking and ask lots of questions.

We left for family emergency dad ill  hes 86 of age  and not able to look after himself anymore so were going to build here on the property and be close to him  so that is the reason why were selling to get our savings back to be able to build a small bungalow here on the farm.  at no time i spoke to you about  visa if we were staying we were applying for residency as an investor . So your conflicts you have with Chris keep me out of them no need for such hard words im quite capable of speaking for myself.

Hi everybody,

Can we please go back to the initial subject of this topic, which is Cost of living in Honduras ??

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi

I am curious to know where exactly you are. I don't mean the address, just the village name. Do you like it there? Have you made friends and do you stay occupied? I am currently living on about $2000/month here in USA and not liking it too much. I am retired and would have an income of about $1600/month USA if I left the country. I visited Roatan for one month last year and enjoyed it, but don't know if I would on $1600/month. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

I don't have any conflicts with Chris!-I have them with you because I asked you to share your experience with me and you didn't!
Right now I am willing to let other people know what is really necessary in order to apply for residence in Honduras!
Besides, the Ambassadora tells me that just taking off without going through them is not the way to do it!
Not only that: the documents are not even supposed to be sent to Ottawa but to Montreal!
That's where we have to go for an interview!
People talk so much about the benefits of having the Investor's Status and we found out that if we apply for Pensionado Residence we don't need to leave the country!-Of course not everyone is old enough for this!
Surely we have to show how income but we need to renew the "cardeneta" once a year but we can have peace of mind.
I'm too young for that too but my husband is 65 and we can apply as a couple!
If anybody needs more information on the documents you can go to the Embassy of Honduras website!
If you need to know about the cost of each document (their site doesn't explain certain things about this) I will be glad to tell you!
As for Sasha I wish all the best to her father!
I wrote to you the way I did to "force' you to speak!-I don't think it was fair for you to remain silent after I clearly asked you to share that information with me!-We shouldn't do to others what we wouldn't like for others to do to us!

Hi Priscilla,

I apologize but it was only now that I read their answers!
Thanks
Maria

How much is a tv in honduras

Look .. You can purchase. TV for $259.00 USD. Well, it may not be up too pat or size with you. There are literally 100 places for sure or more to buy a TV. Same price as The US & Canada or.. Lots more. Moving to a foreign country is more than just knowing someone or having A connection. It's about moving and meeting others. The "others" can/could be locals or expats. Learning is involved. No different than moving from one city in The US or Canada to another.

TV including internet is around $45.00 per month.

I see a lot of people moving to La Ceiba.  I don't know why- it's crowded, expensive, and HOT!  Go to the mountain areas, anywhere above 3400 feet altitude. There are places up to 6000 feet that are great moderate weather towns and villages. Stay away from the coast and the low areas!  We learned the hard way when we moved from 3400 foot Siguatepeque to 1500 foot Copan Ruinas.  CR was way too HOT!!!!

Hello.
My family and I were just visiting Mahogany Bay on a cruise ship stop. We did a little excursion while visiting and we had a lovely 15 year boy as a tour guide who worked only for tips. My whole family fell in love with this boy and we would like to do some things to help him and his family. I understand that he has 5 young brothers and sisters and that his mother stays home to take care of the children. From what it sounded like, I don't think his father is involved. So this 15 year old boy is the bread winner for the family. He works during the day and goes to school at night.

So, as residents of Mahogany Bay, can anyone recommend what/how I should go about helping him out? What would the cost of living be for an average native resident with a family his size? If I ship things to him do I have to worry about him not getting it? Is there western union so I could wire money? How much so stamps cost because I would like to send him pre-stamped envelopes so he can send letters without buying the stamps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!! Jenn

There is zero problems when seeing a child that needs hell. Except when a father or. And mother puts that child out there to make money. That's where I have an issue. Have compassion and love in your heart. BUT, at some point.. When parents in courage the son or daughter to beg.... This is what I do not like at all. Simply stated... Not good for Anyone at all.

As far as hot or cowded... Is it that hard to find a place to live only 10 minutes outside a city in Honduras that the city has everything you would ever want or need yet you are feeling like your on an island .. But in the main shore 10 minutes away ?!? Nothing better than that solid feeling.

When I mailed a letter to the US it cost me 50 Lempiras, about $2.40. And you can't send him stamps because they would not be accepted here. There are Western Union and Moneygram offices here and that is a good way to send money. As far as cost of living, things cost about the same here as in US - not inexpensive here like it was at one time.  Food is about as costly as in US. People can get by without a lot of things here but they have to have food, and lots of people go hungry here. It is noble of you to want to help, even if it is only a drop in bucket compared to the need of people. I'm sure that any money you send him will help him and his family greatly.

How  much are the costs of homeowners insurance there? I was interested in buying in st Thomas but I found out the cost living in hurricane zone was much higher any thoughts?

Insurance for a two-bedroom, two-bath, 1,000 sq. ft. villa in resorts in and around La Ceiba is less than $500/year...depends on what type of contents you have in your villa but most insurance, covering every sort of damage/lose you could think of is between $350-400/year. Hope this helps!
Think of

Yes this helps a lot it seems that insurance cost is comparable to the costs in the US which won't make my mortgage payment way too expensive.

We are going there next month, what is his name and where did you find him?

W have been using a local Honduran Company but are just about to switch to a company that most of our US and Canadian expat friends use, in La Ceba...he is a bit cheaper...I will get his info together and post it...later today...bonus is the fellow speaks perfect English...

Insurance Agent's name is Kent Wildt, and his phone number in La Ceiba is 9987 5955. Located on Avenue San  Isidro, Cailoe 13, Pablo Wilt Building, next to Banfo Lafise.....he is very reliable, hands-on, and takes action immediately if something goes wrong...most of our friends have both their villas and car insurance with him.  Have a nice day! It is beautiful here already!...going to be a warm one!

"Caille 13"....;;stupid auto-correct!

Thanks for the great info we will be visiting mahogany bay on a cruise next month and this will be my 2nd time to Honduras very interested in finding out if it is going to be a good place for us.

Obama style?

Iam living in Vietnam now and thinking of making a Change. Is the country side where you live still cheap on rents