I'm Looking At Panama As a Possibility

I'm Ed McDaniel, age 72, and plan on retiring to, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama or Ecuador.  I came out of retirement to build and open a BBQ Restaurant in Harvest, AL, about 3 years ago, and hope to turn it over to our oldest son (age 50) about mid to late summer.  I hope my wife will change her mind and come with me but so far, she says she won't put that many miles between our grandchildren and herself, (I tell her we can buy plane tickets for them to visit us and gather experiences they otherwise would not get), but she says she will NOT be coming with me but I will be moving with or without her.

My hope is to purchase beach property and build rooms to rent and also buy other property, perhaps in the mountains, to live, where the temps will be cooler.

I plan on living in each country for about 6 months before deciding which to choose.

I appreciate, in advance, any advice or comments you may have!

Sincerely,
Ed "Mack" McDaniel
(Moderated: Please avoid leaving your phone number on the forum for security reasons)

Hi Mack!   My dad was born and raised in Opelika and taught me to love Alabama BBQ pork. So I felt I needed to respond to your post!

My wife and I retired from Florida 3 years ago and settled in Panama.  One reason is that we can get back to our Florida family and friends in 3 hours from here.  That's much faster than if we had retired to Arizona!

You mentioned 4 fine countries.  Can you fill me in more about what will best fit your needs? 

I have some good connections with a Re/Max realtor in Coronado which is considered the beach area nearest to Panama City.  Time and again I've seen these guys go up and beyond what you'd expect and they're straight shooters. At one time they lived in Costa Rica so may have some input there too.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Bob

Welcome to the forum! I too was uncertain about the grandchildren and leaving them was the hardest part of our move to Panama. We are from Canada, and it is a long trip back twice a year to visit. So far, no family has come here yet...too expensive for them with 5 family members each! My daughters applauded our move and despite missing us, are firmly onside. The youngest was furious with me for "abandoning the family" and still resents that I am not there for his little boys. I agree with him somewhat, but there comes a time when we must take care of ourselves first after those multiple sacrifices we made as we raised our families. I am healthier here, allergies are gone, diabetes is more stable, and i have lost weight (much needed!). My spouse is now 81, healthier than ever, but if he should pass on before me, I will most likely return to the family, although I am enjoying this climate and all that is Panama (except for the "manana" factor!)
Good luck wth your personal decision. BTW, a friend of ours moved to Mexico WITHOUT his wife who refused to leave family. He is happier than ever. He says he made so many sacrifices for her, treated her well, kept her in style, so he really owes nothng. He gave her house proceeds, bought her a condo, sends her a monthly allowance. Overly generous I think, but he says no guilt involved! I applaud his decision - it was right for him.

Iris, expat

Ed, you are a Brave Man, much Braver than ME. My wife is in a pretty similar mindset though willing to travel, visit and maybe even snowbird to escape the COLD Winter in the Mid West.  I've also been looking at Panama, Belize and or Ecuador. My conclusion is what you want to do and how much money you want to spend doing it. A frugal person can live moderately well and of course a wealthy person can live a Lavish Lifestyle. If you have your health, have an open mind, want to travel and explore, then Why Not?  Life is Short - Live IT, while you can.

There are many things to consider when choosing where you want to live. #1. should be affordability. #2 should be health care #3 safety. In no particular order. Does your wife know that she is only 4 hours by plane to see Grandchildren? We moved to Boquete, Panama 3 years ago and love it here. We looked at the coast but way too hot for us. Don't forget when you live on the coast the upkeep on your home will double. Due to salt water corrosion. We pay $130. a month for our medical insurance and $110. a year for our cancer policy. Please research "pensionado program in panama." You will find a fountain of information. Also Boquete could use a resident who can make great Bar-b-qu. Oh and by the way, our Grandkids come down and spend the summers with us and absolutely love it. They are taking Spanish in school so they can make more friends down here. When they come down, we travel all over Panama so they get a feel of the country. They love Bocas del Toro. Good Luck

your best choice is placencia, belize
english, near, no property taxes

Gee you are a very brave ,,,, adventurous guy good luck making your choice, tell the wife the grands grow up so fast than carve out their own life ....the good is that when they see u travel explore give they will learn to do the same

During my Corporate America career years I had the privilege of visiting about 80% of Latin America including Costa Rica, Ecuador, Mexico, Colombia... I did like those countries. I personally decided to relocate to Panama because of several reasons but mainly for the cost and quality of living. Of course, the US dollar is accepted aslocal currency and provides stability to any investment made in Panama. The fact that I am bilingual is also a plus. Panama is today what Costa Rica was 18 – 20 years ago in terms of investments opportunities. If you want to retire in Panama, the Panamanian Government welcomes you. With a minimum of US$1,000 pension and another US$250 per dependent you can establish a permanent resident visa*.
How does Panama look like today? If you arrive in Panama today you will find a Country in an accelerated progress. The expansion of the Canal, Airport, highways, lots of tourist and retirees are moving in. You will also find that because of the speed of the progress and accelerated growth some sectors are still behind, don't forget it is still a third world country.
Looks like you and your wife are not afraid of changes and new places. I strongly suggest giving Panama a chance. Come and visit Panama! As US citizen you can stay in Panama for 180 days and drive with your US driver's license for 90 days within the same period. Let me know how can I help you further. We have help lots of people with their migration needs.
* The retirement moneys or pension must be for life and for a minimum amount of USD 1,000.00 monthly, plus USD 250.00 for each dependent.
Cheers!
Keila

Hello Ed, I read your history and  I think that you would love Panama. Panama is still ,one of the cheapest place where to live. And now is the time to buy something,  we have very nice places either you like the city or country. if you like to live in the city we are selling places, close to the  Panama Canal that used to be a Military Base ,so we have places in Amador close to the sea, in Gamboa, in Balboa and Albrook. In  the followings months are coming the Options  to buy this  lands. Right Now there is a person selling a Bed and Breasfast   in Balboa  very close of the Administration Building near the Panama Canal. I think Panama is always a good option, cause is cheap, has nice places where people wants always to visit like the Free Zone in Colon, the Miraflores Locks, the Banking area. And if you want something in the interior of the country is Pedasi, Boquete, Volcan, etc. Panama is growing and we have a lot opportunities for business, so if you decide to come contact me. My mail address is [email protected]

Kind Regards