FILIPINO TEACHERS IN PNG

Hello Kabayan! Anyone in this forum - an expat teacher? Please provide info regarding the lifestyle/s of Filipino Teachers there. I'll be coming at Port Moresby to teach National High School students and I am offered with a basic salary rate of K22,097 per annum and an allowance of K25,292 per annum which would equal to a total of K47,389 per annum- subject to tax deduction which is 30% per annnum. As I calculated it, I will be earning a NET pay of K33,172 per year. The DepEd offered free housing accommodation.(but bills of water and electricity comes from our family budget). Free education of my grade 8 daughter and there's no transportation ( car & gas) allowance. There are gratuity payments after every year as additional benefit/s. I currently presumed that this is a good offer however I still have doubts in mind which I want to clear based on the experiences of the expat teachers there. Any info/ answer regarding my queries could be much appreciated.. Please.

1. The DepEd would process a "family visa" which means I can go there with my husband  ( an AB-Economics graduate here in the Phil but experienced as Sales Associate) and my daughter ( a grade 8 student).Is it not hard for him to land a job and process a work visa in Port Moresby? How long is the processing of work permit for a dependant pass holder? will it takes months? or just weeks? ( I couldn't find specific length of time in processing/ changing the permit status.
2.The gov't didn't offer transportation allowance. Is it possible that they have to give us a housing accommodation near my workplace? how safe is it to walk (daytime) at Port Moresby area?
3. I am thrifty and contented living a simple life. How much will be the estimated cost of living for the three(3) of us? considering that we have to pay for our water and electric bills?
4. Regarding the internet issue ( because we'll be leaving our two(2) college sons in the Phil, we need to communicate with them even via skype. How much will be the estimated cost of internet, let's say 3 hours a day?

I need to read your advise ASAP. We'll be signing contract at the end of this month, so prior to that date, I can compute and should know if going out from here could be an advantage or not. Please light up my mind. Thanks you very much.

Ms. Lei

Leigwapz

Welcome to Expat.com.
I will try to answer your questions

1 Your husband may be lucky and get a job but do not count on it. He would not be allowed to work on your visa.If he does get an offer he will have to leave the country to get a work permit as this cannot be done in country. This may take a month or 4 months there is no time frame for this.

2 They do not have to give you accommodation near the school. On the contract you will see it only offers accommodation. They may have a bus that would take you to work but you would have to clarify this with them. Public transport is not too safe if traveling any long distance.and I would not be walking too far by myself ( I lived  and worked in Moresby for 2 years )  How safe is the accommodation and do they have security guards full time.
Does the accommodation come fully furnished or not ?? If not this will cost you a lot.
You may have to ask around the other teachers as to how they get to and from work.  You may be able to share with them if they have a vehicle.

3 Cost of living depends on your lifestyle. Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living  Electricity costa are high, especially as you will be using air conditioning there due to high temperatures and humidity.

4 Internet is not the best but if you Google 'internet service providers port moresby'  you will be able to get an idea of costs. They have packages available.

I suggest you also Google 'indian clubs or communities port moresby ' and contact someone.
Safety is a big issue and you have to always be aware of your surroundings, don't wear flash jewelry etc and be very careful when using an ATM.

I am not trying to put you off going but just to make you aware of things in general. I have been coming and going from the for many years so I do have some knowledge of the place.

Hi Stumpy! I'm glad and very much grateful for your quick response. Yes, I will be browsing the net for more info regarding teachers' condition in PNG. Thanks-

Kabayan:

Please ensure your safety once you will come in to mainland.  If it is in East New Britain then we have no security problem.  People here are like our culture.  Strong family ties then respect to women and elders.  You can walk alone all over the place very safe.

Thanks Kabayan. But it's sad to note that until recently, we haven't received any update of the application. I don't know  the length of the processing time. They (the employer) told us last December that updates will be sometime this month. We're still hoping that positive result will be sent before the end of this month. Thanks for the info by the way.

Visa application times can take up to 4 months or more.

Hi Stumpy! Thanks for the info.

Hi stumpy, I'm not sures if u are already in png. Me and my wife were both government teachers in png and were both recruited from manila in 1999. There thousands of applicants at the poea and probably we undergone the same process. Out of thousands only 15 passed and remember this,  out of 15 only 3 were actually recruited. So, if they said u passed it pls make sure to verify it from them... Call them if u have the number or google the number for png dept of educ. and look for the officer whom u talked to or who did the interview. I know it can be my friend mr ouka lavaki or another friend mr. Ivali kualo. Answers to ur questions: 1. House acc- usually if u are not assigned in port moresby u will be housed within the school premises. Me and my wife were in sogeri national hs and it was so cool.  U will pay for elec and water I think is free. U can buy car but it's expensive. 2. Your husband can't work since he is your dependent, if he can find a jib he needs to be recruited not within png land but he can exit maybe in Australia then come back after 1 wk when visa is done..., go to the Phil embassy in port moresby and ask help from them how.. They are all very good. 3. Daughter or son.. Yes they will definitely pay for her school fees. I suggest u bring your daughter and if she doesn't like the place then let her study in Phil's and still u can refund all ur expenses just keep,all receipt including shoes, dress, uniforms, tuition, etc. 4. Salary is given every after Friday and they call it fortnightly. Yes u have a good offer... Take note of this!,, every dec that's the start of sch vacation u will get free ticket including ur whole family after 1 yr of your job. U will have 6 woks vacation and it's all paid and then 30% of ur annual salary will be ur gratuity bonus subject to tax and then after that every yr u will get 40% . In doing the maths 6 wks salary plus 30% gratuity... Hey that's a good savings. Vacation is dec to January.  5 safety... Be cautious and be careful.., never trust no one and pls don't open your door when it's night time even u know the person knocking the door. Just do this- not too close and not too far to the locals. Be humble and just use your skills and pls don't put down other pinoys.... We left png coz an inspector always put us down and whew.... I should be a school principal now but I have no regret. We are already here in USA. Summary: I love png, and we suggest u go for it.......

Ms stumpy, pls,let me know if u are already in png or may be I can be of help to contact the officers in png coz I personally know them. My e mail address is [email protected].

I am not in PNG and have not worked there for over 4 years now.
I work in civil construction on mine sites.

Hello po!

Ask ko LNG anong mas magandang tourist visa or dependent visa?

Young husband ko ngwwork na dyan tpos ako andito s singapore kso mg end na din ang work ko by end of the month. Gusto ng asawa ko punta na LNG ako drtso ng Papua instead umuwi ng pinas!?

Pa advise namn San ako mga kabayan!!!

Cam_elli wrote:

Hello po!

Ask ko LNG anong mas magandang tourist visa or dependent visa?

Young husband ko ngwwork na dyan tpos ako andito s singapore kso mg end na din ang work ko by end of the month. Gusto ng asawa ko punta na LNG ako drtso ng Papua instead umuwi ng pinas!?

Pa advise namn San ako mga kabayan!!!

Hi,
It would be best if you come in dependant visa rather tourist visa, because as all tourist visa's are, it will still be scrutinized of your intention to come here. Easy processing din naman ang dependent visa provided you have all the docs available.

All the best!

Salamat kabayan....pero any idea how long ang processing ng dependent visa? Nalilito tuloy ako. Kc sbi ng hubby ko tourist na LNG muna daw. Just in case may makuha ako na work dyan eh exit na LNG muna ako Australia. Possible ba yun? Kc dito sa singapore possible Nman ung exit instead uwi ng pinas. Eh dyan kaya sa Png?

Cam_elli wrote:

Salamat kabayan....pero any idea how long ang processing ng dependent visa? Nalilito tuloy ako. Kc sbi ng hubby ko tourist na LNG muna daw. Just in case may makuha ako na work dyan eh exit na LNG muna ako Australia. Possible ba yun? Kc dito sa singapore possible Nman ung exit instead uwi ng pinas. Eh dyan kaya sa Png?

As this is an English speaking forum could you please post in ENGLISH only. That way other members can understand your post and perhaps offer information or advice.
Thank you.

Ms jeset2465,
  I am also a teacher and heard from a very reliable source that my work assignment will be at Vanimo province. Have you heard of this place before? Pls give me a little info about the place. In my google search, i found out that it is last province next to the border(Indonesia). Is it a safe place? Is it safe to bring my daughters (16 y.o and 13 y.o)?  I am hypertensive and is quite worried about my health. Is the hospital in Vanimo okay? You mentioned that teachers are usually housed within the sch premises, it actually sounded comforting. I just wish that that would be true in our case. And lastly, what are the challenges that a teacher (English subject-secondary) should expect on the first few months?
     Thank you so much for taking time to read and.hopefully answer my queries(and worries). By the way, I heard from the agency in Manila that Ivali is not with Deped anymore but your other friend still is. God bless!

:) Hi.. Madam.
I am also one of the applicant in PNG just like what you have applied for, but my deployment place in PNG is in LaE City. As of now the agency assigned to process our documents told us before that within this month (january 2015) is our departure.
But currently they requested again a copy of my NSO Birth Certficate because the previous that i have submitted was rejected but last october they told us that everything is on process, and now they requested a copy which i think is too late already for the process of the visa.
May i know if how long is the processing of visa? Whoever have an idea pls... make a reply.
ty

raja-vheel,

just want to know the latest update. i,m also one of the teachers bound for lae city. Thanks