Car Insurance advice

I am thinking buying a car at the end of this month and I wonder if someone can give me some tips on which motor insurance company offers good prices and that I could try for. Also, do you reckon is it worthy get a comprehensive cover here in Malta? I have to say that I've never had a major accident within the last 15 or more years I've been driving.

Thanks,
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

I am thinking buying a car at the end of this month and I wonder if someone can give me some tips on which motor insurance company offers good prices and that I could try for. Also, do you reckon is it worthy get a comprehensive cover here in Malta? I have to say that I've never had a major accident within the last 15 or more years I've been driving.

Thanks,
Antonio

It will depend on what value you put on the car you buy.
Third party insurance will only cover damage to the other persons car, so you could finish up having to pay for your car again!
The Maltese being such good drivers, will reduce the risk of it being their fault in the event of an accident.     :whistle:

Terry

i have used rocs middlesea and gasanmamo so far........

remember one thing this is malta and rule of folk-law stll applies and works well for the locals

the stock saying  and explanation " l lost control " still works for most

Thanks for the replies Terry and Toon! I know what you guys mean and it's always better safe than sorry. I've requested an online quote from Middlesea and Elmo so far, and the one I got from Middlesea (fully covered) was actually not too bad. I'll try a couple more to see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Antonio

If you can present a letter from your previous foreign insurance stating that at least within the last 5 years you had noc accident, you can receive the full no-claim bonus, which is a deduction of 65% from the regular premuim !
At least ELMO accepted this in my case  :)

Hi matm911, thanks for the advice. And yes, I have a non claim bonus letter from my previous insurer, but only for 3 years. As I have been moving around a lot in the last few years, I could not keep a track of my previous motor insurances :)

Cheers,
Antonio

Anyone who has been granted exemption from car registration tax, can you tell me if your insurance company restricts the amount of time you take your car out of Malta ?

Having registration fee exemption has no effect on your insurance.
Most insurance companies will grant 30 days per year comprehensive cover if going abroad (if you have fully comp cover).
However, this being Malta, they still insist on issuing a "green card" for travel abroad.
After the allowed time you still will be insured but only for third party claims.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I had a notion that they'd do something ridiculous like that !