Social security $

When will Vietnam and USA get their act together ? Why can't people receive their SSDI money directly into a vn bank?

Can't you use a bank that has branches in both locations, like HSBC?  Is Citibank in Vietnam?

Vietnam is 'blocked'...otherwise untrusted and will not bow to the US terms on financial accounts.  I pull almost every dollar out on the first 2 to 3 days of the month and put into an account over here.  As far as I'm concerned, it is none of their business what I do with my money.  I'm glad they don't! 
My military pay and my social security are paid into a US account and I collect from an ATM anywhere.  Military pay for the past 12 years while in SE Asia and Social Security for the past year.  I have a US Bank that has a branch over here...but it is not the same.  HSBC Vietnam is not like HSBC USA.  Totally different, yet you are able to use their machines without any fees.  You can also open up a USD or a VND account with HSBC.  I  also have to visit the US Embassy at least once a month to verify that I am still breathing and sign in or they hold my SS check.  Been visiting the HCMC branch for nearly a year now.

If u despoit ur check I to a USA bank, hiw can the SS office know ur in vn?

SS requires you to give them an address!  I left the US a dozen years ago...I have no residence in the US.  I have no real 'residence' in Vietnam, but I spend most of my time here.  I told them 'I don't live there, I have a phone number, but only for emergency reasons and hardly ever have it turned on...so don't send any paper mail or try to call me, i gave them an e-mail address as a contact.  They send notices to the Embassy.  My girlfriends family address is what I gave them for a 'residence' address.  If I lied and told them I lived in Bangkok they would still want an address...so it really doesn't matter.  Vietnam is a 'blocked' nation...so I have to sign in at least once a month at the Embassy to let them know I'm 'alive and well'.
They deposit the funds into the account 'direct deposit'...
Bunch of Bull Chit from the government anyway you look at it.

So if I use my daughter house address as my primary address in the USA and banking info, and while I renting out my house , I will not have to report to the USA consulate every month?  I already live in HCM , but I am worried about SS learning I'm out of the county , but SS can't stop ssdi.  Only ssi if ur our of the country more than 30 days

Here's a pervious thread with some information, also includes some links and points to another thread on the blog about the same subject:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=270482

@MrshyONE makes no difference to SSA if it's SSDI same rule applys.

I can only say that if you are caught in a lie...they can cut you off like 'dead meat'!  If you are going to go out of the country (USA) for any extended period of time you are required to inform them...it is a 'federal offense' to lie when submitting such information.  That is entirely up to you. 
The hassle of going to HCMC once a month from DaNang is not worth me losing what is mine!  I just sign in once a month and leave...usually 15-30 minutes at the Embassy.  I have never in all these years 'registered' with the Embassy.  It is none of their damn business! 
I told them when I started and filled out the paperwork that I had no "address or residence" due to my traveling throughout SE Asia.  I left the US 12 years ago and had no 'residence' back there. I  spend much of my time in Vietnam and indicated that.  The telephone number I was calling from showed I was from Vietnam at their end.   I was not going to use my sister or son's address due to the paper mail, which until only recently I have never received any in all these years.  I gave them my girlfriends address as a 'residence' just to shut them up.  But told them also via e-mail that I do not live or reside there.  They have been direct depositing for almost a year now with no problems. 
Up to you...as to what you do.  The only thing I can suggest is to open up a website for all expats from the US and petition the State Department to change the laws.  As a Citizen still I would also be writing to Joe Biden as he is the presiding leading member of the House...I have no state representative as I claim no state.

Anthony64 Totally agree. My wife and I have been doing the duffel bag drag from down here in the Delta  to the Consulate every month now for over 7 years. SSA says it's  the State Department that has to solve the problem State Department says "who, not us it's the SSA rules" I just think that somebody ought to figure out that's it's been a problem now for almost 20 years and fix it. On another note. Doesn't the Consulate send a team to Da Nang every month so you guys don't have to come down to Saigon to take care of this admin type paperwork?

The consulate tries to send a team to DaNang at least once in 3 months.  Due here on the 14th this month...I usually fly out at 6 am and return flt after 2 pm. if not delayed.
Joe Biden used to be my ex-wifes boss back in the 60's when he was just a lawyer in Wilmington.  I've got half the mind to send him an "Ah-chit gram" if you know what I mean.  Problem with such is I am only one...and today the 'pen is not mighter than...." I'm waiting for them to change and make it at an 'appointed time and place'...then I'll write my letter in 'bold face' to both the Sect. of State, The Vice President and to Social Security.  I did my 'duty' and 'time and place' for over 20 years!  They can go straight to dbl LL in that case!

Anthony64 wrote:

As a Citizen still I would also be writing to Joe Biden as he is the presiding leading member of the House...I have no state representative as I claim no state.

Vice President Joe Biden is actually President of the Senate.  As such he has very little power in the Senate other than casting a tie-breaking vote.  John Boehner is Speaker of the House with greater power and duties there.  In both cases, they have no power to make policy in the Department of State.

I don't use FB but the new Consulate CG has got a page, want to give it a try with a really good question:

https://www.facebook.com/consulgeneral.hcmc

The rule applies only to SSI , u must be within the USA to continue to receive these benefits, SSDi has no restriction, as long as u have the legal right to recieve such benifits , you also may get payments as long as you are outside the United States unless you are receiving your payments as a "dependent or survivor."(ssi) , it is true they will.not direct deposit into a vietnamese bank , but u can pick  up ur check once a minth at the embassy , and like someone ekes said check in monthly. I'll ask fir clarification at the SS office, like they really know what they he'll their doing ,,,;)

Yea, I should have used the term "President of..."instead of what I did...but I knew Joe when he was lawyer and I'd be writing to him to 'itch.  Kerry is trash and I wouldn't waste my time, the speaker of the house is also from 'a state'...I have no "state".  Reason I'd be writing to the VP.  When he signed on with Bush for Iraq, I sent him a "B-gram" and haven't said a word to him since.  Used to send msg and letter traffic to him while on Active Duty years back regarding investigations and hearing pertaining to Naval Affairs. 
Good catch on words...