The other side of the Guatemalan postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Guatemala, how would you describe the two sides of your Guatemalan postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Living and working here is a whole different ballgame than the US in some aspects, but in others, it isn't all that different. People are people everywhere, and once you get over the superficial, cultural differences, most people want the same things from life and work:  decent wages, to feel appreciated, a safe and comfortable house, good medical care, etc.  All of these can be found in Guatemala, and it is much more inexpensive than in the US.  One must, however, learn to navigate different notions of punctuality and timeliness, and deal with absurd levels of bureaucracy at almost ever point.

I enjoy my life here very much. there are many things that appeal to me, foremost of which is the indomitable spirit of the people, and the incredible work ethic, especially amongst the poorer sections of the populace. The country is beautiful, scenic, exotic.
There are things that are difficult to deal with-one of these is the bureaucratic difficulties one faces. The bureaucracy here can be truly mind-numbing. Very few people at any level are willing to show initiative of the sort that is regarded up north as something to be rewarded (I am of Canadian origin), but instead keep passing the buck up the various levels until they finally reach the patron. Simple little things like returning an item that malfunctioned three days after purchase can take an hour or more, and a chain of seven people before things finally get dealt with.
There is wide spread corruption, and having money can excuse most criminal actions. Very difficult for anyone with an idealistic mentality to come to grips with.
All that being said, things are changing. I have seen changes in the last few years that are very heartening. Most of the  changes that are happening are due to the young people being connected, wired into the world. Education is a huge priority for families here, no matter what the economic circumstances they are facing. Families will sacrifice much to make sure the kids get into school with the required accoutrements.
Strongly suggest a visit, of a fairly long duration before making any decisions regarding permanent move to Guatemala. Give yourself time to know the people, the country, and encounter some of the things that might make the transition harder for you.
I know many ex-pats here who have very small circles with very rigid parameters-ie, they spend time with other ex pats, and their only contact with the native population is through their maids or gardeners. For me, that is a huge mistake-although I have many ex pats in my circle, most of my friends here are Guatemalan, and they range from very poor, to some who are very well off by anyone's standards. My life is far richer because of that. As I mentioned earlier, the people make this country special for me.

Hi Estella.
I'm sorry about your misfortune.. It is true that some landlords do find excuses to steal part of your deposit if not all of it when it is time to vacate founding excuses that don't make sense if not only for them in order to not give you back your money.. So work with a rental company preferably one that will keep your deposit and not the landlord this may you get some protection.. Also take pictures of your place have it print and a copy signed by the land lord.. of all the things in the house this way it will be hard for him to claim damages that were pre existing..