Student needs advive.

Hey Guys.
I have applied for a masters in Gothenburg.
However, i am starting to feel a bit anxious as i have been reading that it is very had to find work if you don't have the Swedish. I would teach myself of course, but i doubt i would have enough be fluent come August.
Does anyone know about the student loan?? What is the interest rate??
Also i would like to talk to any other Europeans that went to Sweden to study just to gauge experiences. I'm Irish myself.
Thanks guys  :top:

You are correct in your research. The best way to get a job here in Sweden is to know somebody. Personal networking is extremely important.

There are many immigrants here who speak excellent Swedish who have been here for countless years without a proper job, just endless unpaid internships (praktiks).

Student loans are for Swedish citizens. If you want more information on the student loans, contact www.csn.se

I have been in Sweden for just more than three years, and I had my first job interview last week! That came about by A LOT of relentless networking.

Best of luck, it can be tough, but it is not impossible.

I agree. It is definitely who you know, not what you know.

Last time I lived here, I couldn't even get an interview, let alone a job - despite 20 years experience in my profession.

This time around, I work as a freelance writer, so job solved. If you can work do your work from home, or can think of your own business venture, then you may be successful. The Swedish job market is a notoriously hard nut to crack :(

The Swedish Life

Hello there, Sunsinsweden!

Have we met? I am a writer in Malmö too :-)

I believe you'd have to come with loans from your own country, from Ireland, I'm sorry to say. Host countries usually only provide loans to their citizens. This was the case with me when I studied in England and when I lived in Sweden.
The happiest expats I came across in Sweden were those who freelanced, writing for blogs on advice on how to live in Sweden. This is not a large field, and not something I had interest in doing so I was stuck, unemployed, depending on my Swedish partner.
I'm still trying to work out how I might go about finding a job differently when I move back to Sweden in a few years. For round two I might try the route of making connections here (Canada) before I go. This is a pipe dream at this point (finding a good job in Stockholm before I go.)