MOVING TO KIGALI - ALL INFO NEEDED - WHAT ARE THE BEST AREAS TO LIVE?

Hello everyone! I got a  job proposition in Rwanda.
1- What are the pros and cons about living in Kigali?

2- How would you rate your experience / quality of life in Kigali ? WHy?

3- In which areas should I look for a house? Who to contact?
We want somewhere safe of course, with shops available.

4- How is the car market? Can we easily get a 4x4?
How would you rate driving experience in Kigali?

5- Husby works in IT, would he easily get a job? Any big IT companies around?

My husband and I are relocating by August, any info would be welcome!

Very quick response:

1. Kigali is super safe and clean and easy. It is also a bit boring compared to other capital cities. No good shopping areas, no accessible green spaces (the few they have are all protected by soldiers with machine guns), not much of a walking town.
2. OK - easy place to live, nothing special.
3. Depends on where you're working. Nyarutarama is nice, but a good drive to Kiyovu. Kimihurura has the best concentration of restaurants. There aren't really many "shops" other than a few grocery stores, but these have gotten a lot better over the last year plus. There is a mall (KCT), sort of.
4. Cars are super expensive, but you can easily find something. Rwanda has really high import taxes on everything and used cars with RA plates (regular registration) are about 75% to 100% more than US blue book value. For ease of maintenance, go with a Toyota (lots around and garages generally have spare parts)..
5. Don't know any companies, but Rwanda is trying to become an IT hub including building a big IT park as part of the new convention center project.

Good luck!

I am also planning to settle either in rwanda or uganda  as soon as the international flights will be resumed.
I got the same reservations  abd Questions as tou mentioned.
Plz if you get some positive and informative stuff plz i request tou humbly to share with me.
My email is ***
Best regards
Ali imran
from  Multan, Pakistan

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Multan,

good evening, hope you are fine. Kigali is increasingly becoming an attractive city and this is really touching every aspect of life. As my fellows said above, If I were you I would opt for Nyarutarama  where we are having more hotels, flats for rent, and apartments as well. Should you consider a long term stay, then the best option would be to buy your own house and professionals are there to guide you through the process. For your shopping queries, we are having beautiful supermarkets. Other alternatives involve mainly Kiyovu, Kibagabaga, Gacuriro,

Should you need any further information, do not hesitate to ask specifically which you would want us to talk about.

Regards,
JP

Hi does anyone have info on building a house on Kigali? Like approx. how long might it take? For a say 4bed 3 bath..one floor home?

And what is the best area to choose from if you want to buy a few acres or a hectare vs just a small plot

Thanks
Lisa

Dear Lisa,
greetings from Kigali, building a house might take you around 2 months (by then everything is finished) , this assumption works when there is no shortage of cash through the construction activities. For places you might want to choose, Nyarutarama and Kiyovu (these two are very expensive compared with others), followed by Gacuriro and Kibagabaga;but nowadays due to the master plan mostly those areas are reserved for storey houses . Nevertheless, there are also areas like Rebero offering a very beautiful view of the city. In my opinion, if you want to buy a huge piece of land (like one hectare), you might want to choose this Rebero the prices won't be that compared with Nyarutarama. might you need more info do not hesitate to highlight them
Hope it helps,
JP

Thank you JP  ;)

Hello,  Lisa! Gacuriro is the best place to live in Kigali. There are  brand new apartments on KG 457 Street 19, Gacuriro,  KIGALI. Brand new apartments