Wanting to explore Cartegena, for possible relocation

Peggy here in Denver, Colorado, planning my first exploratory trip to Cartegena, at some point this year.

I spent time and lived in Negril, Jamaica for some years; but relocated back to Denver, Colorado.

After 7 years, I am looking for another location to live.

I would like to know what people love about Cartegena and why
they chose to live there.

I am a lover of the sea and interesting old buildings.
In my youth, I spent 15 months backpacking in S.America, but
it has been a long time since I was on the continent.

Any information shared would be appreciated.

Hi peggyjune,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Your idea to check out Cartagena is a good one.

I spent 6 weeks in Colombia a couple of years ago. I spent 12 years in SA as a youngster as my Dad worked for a multi-national oil co. so I speak Spanish. Which is to say, having a working knowledge of the language is very important, i my humble opinion.

The beaches are only ok, at least when I was there (Feb/Mar) because the wind seemed o blow incessantly and churned up the sa so that is was either red-flagged on the beach (i.e. no swimming)or pretty murky from the sediment tossed around.

Ciudad amurallada (walled city) is very neat: expensive to stay but lots of great restaurants and galleries especially the Inquisition...shudder), etc. Manga is less busy, no beaches to speak of but a bit quieter. Bocagrande is where the action is and lots of accommodations in all price ranges, great shopping.

You may want to bus it to Rodadero which is up the coast close to Santa Marta, great beches and restaurants, diving, etc.

But having returned this year from ecuador, I must say, it beats Colombia in many ways.

Good luck and buen viaje

Dear Peggy,

I'm a (55 young)of age. hehe
Age has a lot to do with what people think now a days...LOL
So,...you know my age LOL. Love.
Anyway, I can be/ want to be your point man.
On the 2nd (weekend) of March, I will be (boots on) in Cartagena.

I grew up in Central and South America.
My father was a "big shot" in the MIL.
Also, I'm a U.S. Army vet.

I was married to two Latin women, the last from Colombia. 10 yrs. Married. Have connections in Colombia.

I speak Spanish.
I can translate.
I've been here (Cartagena) before and more often to Cali, Bogota and Perieda, where my x is from.

If you want to work, apply (FORMS) at the U.S. Consolate/Embasy in Bogota-Capital for the "work Visa".If you want to work.
You will need a "company" that will back you. Here in Cartagena.

If you want to live here, You'll need extensive Banking, past employment, criminal background information.
And again, a "company" or person IN Colombia that is willing to put you on the payroll or vouch for you... It's not easy.

But,..then again, I did the same thing for my wife entering the U.S.A in 2000, just b4 the 911 attack.
I think I can be (of some assistance) a piont man.   

I'm an American. That love's the life here.
Contact me, if you want.

[email protected]
Gregorio

Peggyjune
I am thinking of Cartegena for retirement relocation.  Where are you in your relocation plans?  I am planning a trip to Colombia In September and October of this year.  I want to spend at least a month in Cartegena and possibly another month in Medellin.
I would be very interested in hearing from other expats or locals in Cartegena.  Most of my life I've lived near or on the water and Cartagena would meet that.
Thanks
Patti

I was in Cartegena for a week last April, same time as Obama- saw him give a speech and drive by an outdoor cafe.  I'm from Los Angeles and that city was just as expensive ( food, wine transportation, even groceries).  Enjoyed the people, the old city, the fort, etc.  Beaches are fair at best- but the heat/humidity can knock you out. I think there are better alternatives

peggyjune wrote:

Peggy here in Denver, Colorado, planning my first exploratory trip to Cartegena, at some point this year.

I spent time and lived in Negril, Jamaica for some years; but relocated back to Denver, Colorado.

After 7 years, I am looking for another location to live.

I would like to know what people love about Cartegena and why
they chose to live there.

I am a lover of the sea and interesting old buildings.
In my youth, I spent 15 months backpacking in S.America, but
it has been a long time since I was on the continent.

Any information shared would be appreciated.

how was it Peggy, did you like it?

Peggy, there is a lot to be said for Cartagena (de los Indios), la ciudad amurallada, as they say,, fascinating city with its history, great restaurants and all. There are a few expats living in Cartagena, the Manga area is particularly attractive, Club Nautica in Manga is a great gathering spot during happy hour on Wednesday, I believe. You get a chance to chat with all the seafaring folk who are passing through. But i found the beaches not that great for a couple of reasons. The main one is the hustlers that plague you on the beach, primarily in the Bocagrande area. The second reason I found an issue with the beaches was the wind; it churns up the water and therefore the water is not as pristine as you would find in Negril, say. But this could be a seasonal thing..

I much prefer the beaches in Santa Marta area, especially Rodadero. I often dream of that town and I will return some day. And you can use Cartagena as a umping spot to Providencia /Santa Marta in the Caribbean or head further up the coast to a spectacular park, Parque Tayrona.

Buena suerte en sus viajes!

>But having returned this year from ecuador, I must say, it beats Colombia in many ways.

Mind elaborating on that?  I've read many things about Ecuador but the #1 advantage everyone seems to mention is 'cheap'.

If you lived in Negril, I can understand why you love the ocean. You were interested in my remarks about Ecuador: you are right, price is certainly a huge factor if you are budget conscious as I am. For example, staying at The Hilton or Caribe in Cartagena would cost 5 times as much for a similar stay in a similar hotel in Cuenca, my favourite Ecuadorian city. But as they say, you can have breakfast on the beach in Ecuador, lunch in the mountains and dinner in the amazons. There are over 100 types of hummingbirds in Ecuador alone.nothing can compare to the market of Otavalo or the shops in Cotacachi...
I lived in Colombia for 10 years so I am fond of that country but what I loved most about Ecuador was the fact that there sis so much to do in a very small country. I also Like what Correa, the president, is doing for the welfare of his people and the nation as a whole.

I could go on so I suggest you go and spend some time there to check things out for yourself.

Cartagena beaches teem with peddlers who are very aggressive and, at least when I was there, the wind whipped up the ocean so the water was pretty murky.I much prefer Rodadero/Santa Marta for the beaches.
Just my thoughts, and buena suerte