Badges for disabled parking

Hi, I have my mother-in-law coming to stay and she has a UK blue badge for disabled parking.  I have noticed that there are some disabled parking bays in the City Centre mall car park.  Does anyone know whether you need any sort of permit to use these? Do you think it would be O.K if we displayed her UK blue badge in Bahrain?

I don't think anyone in Bahrain would recognise those blue badges. Also, the disabled parking spots in City Centre always seem to be blocked and you will need to go to security to have them unblocked first for you before.

If she is going to stay here for a short while and really not comfortable driving, I would recommend her taking a taxi to the mall. A bit expensive but much less stress. On the way back, there is a taxi rank in front of the mall. Parking is not usually an issue weekdays but is during the weekends so maybe she can avoid going to the mall over the weekend - especially in the evenings.

If she is going to stay here for a long time ie permanently, and has her CPR, then she can go to the Traffic Directorate in Isa Town and show her UK license and the blue badge and see if they can give her the disabled badge / stamp for her car here. But I am not 100% about the procedure here so the best bet would be for you to go there first before she arrives and find out about it, and then share your findings with us on this forum so others can benefit.

Thanks for your reply Brighton Guy.  She won't be driving, I will be driving her, she's only here for 2 weeks. However in the UK the badges apply to the person, so can be used when the disabled person is a passenger. I was just hoping to be able to park as close to entrances etc as possible.  I guess the answer will be to do what the paid drivers do and drop her off by the entrance before I park!

Why don't you call Customer Services at City Centre or pop into their desk and ask them?

Oh yeah that's a good idea. Didn't think of that. I think you'll get the best answer if you go there. They might give you a temp access paper or something.

Speaking to the security guards near these parking spots usually is adequate. They do a quick cursory check and will open these spots for you.
However, I agree - speaking to the Mall customer service staff before hand will certainly be better.
I wish your mother-in-law a pleasant visit to Bahrain.

I have been told that the area you need to speak to is the security on the ground floor outside the Gate 3 on Bahrain City Centre Mall. They will guide you and/or point you to the right direction.