Belize Medical Costs

From time to time people here ask questions to the cost of things and about medical here in Belize. So here is an update to a cost I have incurred (quoted in Belize dollars, for USD, cut half). two visits to the doctor, walk in type clinic $80 . A visit to the hospital for a CT scan of my head $390. A visit to the lab for full blood work $253. 24 Ibuprofen $6,cream to reduce swelling and bruising $32 and 1 month (30 pills) to reduce high triglycerides $108. For a grand total of $870($435 USD) And not to mention the doctor here explained everything in great detail on each visit and each visit was at least 45 min with him person to person and the CT scan right away without having to be in the emergency room to get it. Just had to walk into the hospital to the Radiology dept and it was done like an xray at home. As a Canadian I am not sure what this would have cost me back home as we have a medical plan that would have paid for it. But this might be helpful for other in the US to determine medical cost comparisons.

Here in Corozal I use five Rivers Clinic.  Prices inBZ $.  Walk in visit $15 BZ ($7.50 US).  If monitoring a chronic condition, blood pressure, weight management, heart, etc...  They have an annual,plan. $120 BZ for unlimited visits.   Additional services are extra...   Eg. Stitches, nebulizwr treatment, injections. 

I've been very happy with the medical care I've received.

In Belmopan, I saw Dr. Dalix Hernandez for a tooth crown. $30bz for an x-ray and $200bz for the crown.

This was extremely helpfu!!  These treatments/medications would have cost thousands in the US.......Where in belize are you?

Thanks!!

I am glad my post helped you msde51. I think my post helps to keep things real and puts it in perspective. I am living in Ladyville. Eight miles from Belize City and just 5 minuntes away from the airport junction. The medical clinic where I saw the doctor is in Ladyville and the clinics for blood test and CT scan were done in Belize City.

We are spending the winter in the Placencia Village.

Ok...I'm visiting the Hopkins area in April and was in San Pedro last year. Trying to decide where I'd like to land when I retire.  Probably,  3-4 mos a year. Hopefully all areas will have comparable medical rates.

Awesome!! Glad to see another Kansas Citian here!!  I lived in KC all my life until I moved to TX 7 yrs. ago. Thanks for that info.

Just a consideration: I've never been to Belize, but researched the place extensively.  Although health care costs may be low, everything I've read indicates that capabilities lag significantly behind what you might expect in Mexico, let alone Canada or the United States.  So although you may be able to get a CT scan for a few hundred dollars, there may be nobody in Belize who can do anything with the results of that scan if there turns out to be a problem.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I find it most interesting that someone who has never been to Belize, let alone availed themselves to the health care here, says basically to beware.  We, and many of our friends, have been in Belize for many years and HAVE availed ourselves to the medical care here and been quite satisfied.  You cannot believe everything you read on the blogs and there are always those who are not satisfied.  Is this the US? No, but then from the outside looking in at the US and the current direction that health care is taking there, I am glad to be here.  We have many good qualified doctors.  Please don't judge a system ( anywhere ) unless you have personal experience.

We'll said!

Thanks for answering some questions I haven't asked yet.  I'm on quite a few maintenance drugs and I'm concerned with what they will cost.  My sister and I will be coming to Belize in the summer to scout around for housing, etc. and while I'm there I plan to stop in at a drugstore to find out the cost of my medications.  Any advice you can give me is welcome!

there are no drugstores such a shoppers drug mart or wallgreens in Belize. When you are here and looking to find out the costs of your medication you will be looking for a store that says Pharmacy. Make sure you either have the bottles with you or write down all the information from the label and give it to the pharmacist. My other half takes high blood pressure medication and it costs much less here in Belize than back home in Canada.

Thanks for the information.  I'm keeping a record of everything I find out, just to prevent screw-ups later.

depending on where you locate that can make a difference in where you look for your scripts.  Here in Corozal there are several good options.  Evergreen Pharmacy.  Catherine is very good to work with.  Dr. Rodas has a pharmacy as does 5 Rivers Clinic.  There is also always the option of purchasing drugs in Chetumal.  However, that depends on what you are requiring.  A few years back Mexico made a change in what drugs can be purchased with or without a script.  Hope this helps some.

Outstanding Information!