Trying to get any info I can :)

Hello,
my husband is a pilot and applied with an airline in Panama. He was just invited for a job interview and even though I know that he does not have the job yet, I am trying to find as much information about living in Panama as I can since things might be moving fast.
What do you guys like about living in Panama, what don't you like? How safe is it? (I am a very white, rather tall girl but I do speak decent Spanish). What is a good, safe area to live in that is not too far away from the airport? We have a cat and a dog that we are planning on bringing with us, what are some diseases that I need to worry about protecting them from? (they are current on vaccines, Flea/Tick and Heartworm right now). I am originally from Switzerland, does anyone know if there is a Swiss community?
I am just grateful for any kind of information I can get. Thanks!

hI sandimd,

Welcome to Expat.com and thank you for your introduction !  :top:

I advise you to have a look to the topics available on the Panama forum, maybe you will gather some information about life there. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I love the people, the climate, the beauty of the country, and the relaxed style of living (but if you're in the city it won't be so relaxed). I feel safe here. Of course you need to keep your common sense and avoid problem areas.
http://www.panamaforreal.com/  You might find this site helpful. He lives in Panama City with his family so probably has a lot of useful info for you.

sandimd wrote:

Hello,
my husband is a pilot and applied with an airline in Panama. He was just invited for a job interview and even though I know that he does not have the job yet, I am trying to find as much information about living in Panama as I can since things might be moving fast.
What do you guys like about living in Panama, what don't you like? How safe is it? (I am a very white, rather tall girl but I do speak decent Spanish). What is a good, safe area to live in that is not too far away from the airport? We have a cat and a dog that we are planning on bringing with us, what are some diseases that I need to worry about protecting them from? (they are current on vaccines, Flea/Tick and Heartworm right now). I am originally from Switzerland, does anyone know if there is a Swiss community?
I am just grateful for any kind of information I can get. Thanks!

Hi Sandimd,

You are smart to be looking for info about panama before moving here.  There are a number of communities you might look into depending on your preferences.  Since you mention not being too far away from the airport as a criteria, you are a bit limited in your choices to either Panama City and its environs or the nearby mountains.  The beach front communities will be too long a drive from the airport.  In the city there are a number of neighborhoods to choose from and they are mostly within a twenty minute drive of PTY.  Costa del Este is less than ten minutes and has a large number of high rise residential offerings.  In the opposite direction, in the mountains where we live in sublime cool, is the gated community of Altos de Cerro Azul.  We have a pretty fair representation of Canadian and European expats plus a few Norte Americaners.  It's about a forty minute drive to PTY even though we can see the airliners landing and taking off from our back veranda.

You mention a safe environment.  Unless you live in a gated community or a restricted acccess high rise apartment, you will have to get used to living with locked iron doors and window grills... something you just get used to.  Panama is not a particularly unsafe environment... there's just a lot of theft and burglaries if you let your guard down... like many big cities across the world.  Generally the people of Panama are gracious and polite and we have come to appreciate their love of life.  Though you didn't ask, the cost of living is roughly what it is in most developed countries (despite what International Living blog says).  Most goods and services are generally available though you may have some initial frustration finding them.  Bottom line: living in Panama is an adventure.

About your pets, obviously they will not be running free.  If you live in the city, there are many parks for walking dogs and if you live in a gated community there will be many opportunities for walks.  Vets are readily available since many Panamanians love their pets as well.  No special health concerns.

Good luck in your search.  Hopefully you will find something that will suit you just fine.

Ted

panamaforreal.com

Thanks everyone for your replies! He just left to go on a second interview, so we are keeping our fingers crossed!

So this is really happening! My husband got the job, he will be flying for Copa Airlines and he will start his training on April 16th. Crazy!!! He will be in training for 4-6 months where I can't be with him so I decided to go home to Switzerland for that time.
I have looked at altos de cerro azul and it looks just incredibly amazing! Are there usually places for rent available? Is it expensive to live there?
Also, I will only be getting a permit that allows me to live there but not to work. I have heard that it is quite easy to get, you just have to find a job first. Is that accurate? Does anyone know if there is a big market for teaching? I have a teacher's degree (equivalent to masters) and I also speak 4 languages.
Thanks and I'm sure I will be meeting some of you here soon!
Sandra

Hello again Sandra,

Please pass on to your husband congratulations on his new job.  As you probably know, Copa is the major carrier in Central America and the vast majority of flights in and out of the PTY hub are Copa.  So congratulations!

You seem to have zeroed in on Altos de Cerro Azul with your research on places to live.  If it fits your needs and preferences, living in Cerro Azul may well be your best long term option though I would strongly recommend renting before buying.  Chris Powers (who I've never met) gives a pretty fair, if superficial, review of the community in his blog PanamaForReal.  If you are interested in further info, contact me offline: ted (at) near-vana (dot) com and I'll happily give you our perspective on living in Cerro Azul for nearly four years now.  We have nothing to sell you... don't have real estate connections... just an ongoing interest in promoting our little community of expats.

Ted

I went to Panama to get my visa and got that all taken care of. I'm back in Switzerland now. Loved Panama, it was so different and exotic :) We looked around a little for places to live and went to cerro azul (they wouldn't let us into the altos though) but have decided that it's just too far and too remote. It sure is beautiful though. Does anyone have experience with las cumbres? We thought it was quite nice there too.
Thanks! Sandra

Hello Sandra,
Las Cumbres (hmmm).... some very nice homes, especially near the lake.  And nicely situated for anyone working in the city.  The commute to the airport is long one, sometimes well over an hour, but the completion of the Corredor Norte should cut that down substantially.  Only downside is the high incidence of home invasion robberies even with high walls, gates and barred windows.  Nearly every neighborhood has multiple stories to tell but still people continue to live there. 
That's the charm of a gated (and remote) community like Cerro Azul... no window bars, no fences or gates.  That's why we moved there finally... as well as for the cool climate and friendly neighbors.  Sorry you missed out on experiencing that... you DO have to make arrangements to enter the gate.  Security is good.

Before buying anywhere, it's smart to rent for awhile.  We did, for four years in a number of locations including  Boquette, Volcan, Panama City, Gamboa and El Valle, before buying in Cerro Azul.  No regrets!
Best of luck to you in your search.
Ted

Oh, one other thing I might mention, Sandra.  Looking back at your previous post regarding your teaching background, you might look into the International School near Brisas del Gulf, just off Corredor Norte.  I would guess that they would welcome someone with your background.  I worked with an International School in India many years ago and it was a very richly rewarding experience.
Ted

:) Much More secure to rent in an condo in altitude. Some Copa pilot got kill 3 years ago in is house.

I leave in Balboa Blvd and it is very nice in the Sinta Costera. Plus much more fast go Airport.

In your case, Costa Del este area would be much better, depending if you prefer be near airport then town.

Wish you the best of luck in your new life in Panama.