Greetings everyone

Hello fellow expats,

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. If you haven't read my profile, I am retired military and can't wait to leave this country and become a Belizean. I am currently shopping for property, (preferably on Ambergris Caye), and have a 2 year plan to be there.

I plan to build when I settle there, but am not opposed to buying a existing structure. I will say that I have no desire to live in a planned/secure expat community. I prefer to live among the locals, and live as the locals do.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, etc., please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes to all,

Stephen

We just purchased a condo on Ambergris Caye and can't wait to get down there.  We looked in several areas before purchasing.  We love the people and the lifestyle.  The island has all the things we were looking for...enough markets, shops and restaurants all within walking distance.  Beautiful beaches and friendly people.
Good luck on your process!

Good Morning
With that kind of attitude you are half way there. It is not going to be easy,because  you might have been used to the "good Life".
If you are building a house yourself , be prepared for not having materials and hardware easily available.
Almost everything is imported. The price reflect this  cost.
It is a poor country ,you will be facing all the problems that go along with poverty and lack of education. On the positive side, people are friendly and once they trust you ,will be your friends. Everything local is cheap.
Others on this forum may be able to give you more pointers ,but this could be a start.

stegret wrote:

Hello fellow expats,

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. If you haven't read my profile, I am retired military and can't wait to leave this country and become a Belizean. I am currently shopping for property, (preferably on Ambergris Caye), and have a 2 year plan to be there.

I plan to build when I settle there, but am not opposed to buying a existing structure. I will say that I have no desire to live in a planned/secure expat community. I prefer to live among the locals, and live as the locals do.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, etc., please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes to all,

Stephen

If you are coming here for the first time you do need to talk with an honest person. There are many of them but there are many who aren't. I'm ex-military myself USAF but have endured constant rumors and insults from ex-navy guys here.

Being military is a plus....I just had to cut open my arm to remove a worm, my neighbors German Shepard died last week from a snake bite. I have a friend here trying to build a home, and its still not done after 1 1/2 years. I would like to suggest you find a place already built.....but that's only my opinion. Contact me in PM if you are interested in a lot more facts.