The other side of the Chilean postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Chile, how would you describe the two sides of your Chilean postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hi

There is pro and cons to live in Chile. Chile is stable and safe country. However, there are many cons as the discrimination against gays, foreign people (Colombians i.e.)

In fact, I visited only one family's friend house and I consider myself as friendly guy.

I hope my comments help you.

Thanks,

Chile has been a great experience thus far. Spent three years in the north in Antofagasta and now in Santiago.  Antofagasta, although it is improving, is a gritty city that is becoming congested due to the population explosion and expansion in the mining industry and somewhat transient as people come there to make a buck. I would say it tis the Chilean equivalent of Fort MacMurray.

The diversity in geography is fantastic, from the Atacama desert to the glaciers in the south really have a great range of things to see. I have found the people to be generally friendly, although Chilean culture is very much family oriented so we don't have many true Chilean friends that we are close with.

The country is well organized and although there can be some bureaucratic idiosyncrasies once you are set up everything works. Getting the RUT solves everything. Obviously you have to watch for petty crime like car theft, house breakins etc. But I think this is true of everywhere. The police here are very serious and courteous, and don't mistake them for other police forces in Central and South America who would not be opposed to bribes. If you do that here you will be in serious trouble.

If you are planning some serious time here I advise learning Spanish it will really help.

Cheers,
LSB