Hello

Hello everyone I am new here, I'm looking to make the move to Martinique from the uk, if anyone living there have any practical advice to give it will be much appreciated.
I have a 10 year old son and would like to know about schools and the education
On offer in martinique, this is my biggest concern.

Hi Nic39,

Please note that your topic has been moved to the Martinique forum for more visibility and for more interaction with the members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Thank you Priscilla

Hello Nic39,

I think you'll be pleased by the island. People are very welcoming here, the climate is pleasant.
Regarding schools, the system is based on the French model. So teaching is in the French language, I hope your son will get used to it quite rapidly. Generally, there is no problem for children to integrate a class.
When are you planning to move over here ?

If you need more information; just let me know.

Elodie.

Hello Elodie
Thank you for responding to my post, I would like to make the move in August 2014 as my son will have completed primary school then.

Where would you say was the best part of Martinique to raise children. I visited fort the France a few years ago but I found it quite busy and bustling. I'd like to be somewhere there are good schools and amenities close by.

Thank you

It depends on where you would like to live. The North means greenery here as the South is well-known for heat and beaches. In both cases, you'll need a car to live in these areas: North = hills, and South = long distance.

I think you'll be pleased by Schoelcher. It is in the suburb of Fort-de-France and I think it is very nice. There is a nice secondary school named "Collège Vincent Placoly" for your son to go. I've worked there for 2 months and I have nothing wrong to say about it. Schoelcher is a lively town and you'll find amenities easily. In fact, it is mid-countryside and mid-downtown if I can put it like this. There are buses all day long, so it will be easy to move if you need to.

Here is my opinion  :)