The other side of the Bermudian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Bermuda, how would you describe the two sides of your Bermudian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

The back of the postcard:
As an expat you are necessary for the economy in Bermuda but there can be resentment because your housing allowance will probably be paid by the company and so you can afford to rent the nicer executive places where locals are paying rents half as high for properties half as nice. In fact the whole money issue can be problematic - expats have higher paid jobs, locals do the more mundane jobs so an artificial divide is created. Some could read this as a racial issue but it isn't primarily that.
Cost of living is high compared to UK and very high compared to US.
Getting items delivered to the island is hard and entails massive import duties.
Cars are very costly - a new Kia Picanto will be aground $25000, so don't bother getting an open topped sports car here - no point at 20mph.
Humidity is high year round so things go mouldy. Fastidious housework is necessary.
Bermuda is a small island - sometimes you feel it.

The front of the postcard: It is paradise!

Nice post, thanks !

The other side of the postcard...hmmm...well, the other side of the postcard depicts one's personality as much as the picture perfect place on the front I suppose.  Whether you want to thrive on it, or ignore it, Bermuda has all the drama of the best made for tv realities.  There are both shining examples of social unity and glaring examples of racial discord.  You will encounter quaint ladies in hats on the way to a sunday service, or minutes later see an uncouth foul mouthed person spewing venom at another person.  You see, despite the marketing that all tourist destinations strive for, Bermuda is much the same as many other places.  It is just smaller, with a few different rules.  Some of the rules make life easier for some of the people, some of the time.  The rules are not designed to create an equitable playing field for any player in the game, but to provide advantage to the home team.  Some people are bothered by that.  I figure if you don't like the rules, choose a different game.  The size of the island makes everything appear more prevalent.  Many tourists leave thinking that Bermuda has some of the nicest people on earth.  A few leave with the opposite experience.  I really have met some of the nicest  people while in Bermuda.  I have also seen the craziest political shenanigans.  Sometimes I forget that I am watching the news and not an episode of Jerry Springer Shipwrecked.  The experience of Bermuda is mostly what you make it...but the beauty is striking.  The back of my postcard would simply say "Having a lovely time -- many stories to tell when I return.  Wish you were here xo"

Wow