Agricultural Land

I am looking to buy a rural property but I'm told that foreigners are not allowed to own agricultural land in Croatia. The places I prefer are on the edges of villages, where the houses are not so densely packed together. Is there any way to tell whether the land that comes with a particular house is classed as agricultural? In one case I asked the seller but she does not know.

The seller will know if it's agrigivultral or residential. All of the areas have been zoned.

SJ
chasingthedonkey.com

I've found sellers tend to know very little about the houses they are selling. They are mostly family members who have inherited the place from someone who died. I do now know how to check the classification if I can identify a property on the Geoportal mapping website. I then use the plot number from the map in the Katastar website and, in the case of legalised buildings I should get a list of buildings and land areas. With properties old enough to be exempt from the legalisation process there may not be detailed Katastar records. It is also possible to look up the name(s) of the owners on another website but I've had less success with that.

Dear fidobsa,

If you are interested (or know somebody else) for agricultural land and / or real estates in Croatia, just let me know
:)

Our family owns much of the country such as fields, forests and pastures. The land is located in the district of Lika. As you probaly know these district is known as area of clean air and pure nature.

These district is suitable for agriculture, cattle breeding, agritourism, rural tourism, training sports team, collecting solar energy or simple for cottages in the heart of nature.

More about the Lika district:

stilanova-lika.com.hr/en/stranica/about-lika

google.hr/search?q=picture+lika&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8yACU_TNEuW3yAOGpYDwA

My e-mail address: [email protected]

So long!

First recommendation, you should have a good lawyer that will check all the papers and ownership rights etc so you will not buy something that have few owners... Katastra is not showing all the data up to date unfortunately and by yourself without good representative you can buy a pig in a poke. I would recommend the company http://www.hanzekovic.hr/. Highly educated lawyers, fixed rates (doesn't matter where you come from or who you are) and contracts are written in English. With them you can avoid state agents - in majority agents do not take responsibility for what you bought. Moreover good lawyer will answer all your questions regarding what you can build, why etc. With Croatian law fluctuating so much at the moment you really need to know all the details if you want to avoid putting yourself into some complicated situation.

Just to give you the example why you should be very careful:

Croatian woman bought a plot of building land from another Croat. They wanted to build a house there but there were some olive trees in the field. They started digging them out and someone run to the plot and asked them to stop... Why they asked, its my property and my land so I can do what I want... Yes the person answered, the property is yours but trees are mine so you can't touch them...  So in order to avoid any kind of situation like that its better to check everything upfront and not be surprised after :)

Rgds

Thanks for the replies. I have now found a house I like. It is in a building zone so I am allowed to buy it, even though the parcel contains some arable land and orchard. It is in the name of one person and it seems to be properly legalised. I have used a lawyer in Varazdin that was recommended by another British expat.
I have so far had free help and advice from 5 different Croatians, not including any advice on forum posts. I find this very encouraging. :)

This is my advert for the house I'm selling
it matches your description

njuskalo.hr/nekretnine/kuca-bijeli-kamen-srinjine-katnica-110-m2-oglas-11682908

Contact me on my email: [email protected]
or my mobile phone: 00385921639126

Thanks but I have already bought the house mentioned in my last post.