Landlord Not Making Repairs

What channels does one have to put pressure on their landlord to fix problems?

If they smile and tell you they are working on fixing something that must be fixed (i.e. not a superficial thing), but a month later NOTHING has been done what can you do?

Polite and persistent reminders aren't working.

Are you talking to the landlord directly or to the security/watchman?

If you are speaking to the watchman and nothing is happening, speak directly to the landlord. If it is the landlord you are speaking to and nothing happens, speak to them again. Delaying the rent by a few days could also pass the message.

You can also stop being polite once a reasonable limit is crossed.

I had the same problem in the last place I lived. I always emailed the landlord to keep a paper trail of what was happening.

In the end, I told them I would pay them their rent as quickly as they did the repairs.. I didn't pay them for 3 months!!!

I kept the rent to one side and when all the work was done I gave them their money. I've never seen such a response after months of being ignored

Then.... a month later we were flooded out, landlord did nothing about it so we terminated our contract and had to move (at our own cost) to a suitable home.

Finding a good landlord in Bahrain is like trying to find rocking horse poop

In our new property we have bought the platinum cover for IFix a maintenance company who will come and do all repairs. Platinum cover is BD200 a year so well worth the cost. They even hang pictures, shelves, move furniture etc

We were also in a similar situation and the repairs required were serious - we had a fire in my son's bedroom through lack of maintenance amongst other things.  We stopped being polite but this did not work either and in fact were threatened with eviction for being aggressive about the fact that our son could have been killed!

We also withheld rent but be warned this is not the UK.  Our landlord was particularly unscrupulous and we very nearly ended up in Court with travel bans - the system here does not favour the tenant.

If you are getting nowhere, I would move as soon as possible. However, if you have signed a term contract you may need permission from your landlord to terminate early or you will be responsible for the rent for the remainder of the term.  Again, I know someone who has nearly landed in Court for this very reason.

Not good news I am afraid but Josnuggles and Farhaz are correct, keep copies of everything and try the landlord, the agent who put you there and depending upon who you are employed by, maybe your employer can bring some pressure to bear.